How many KRE Floating Licenses I need?

Hi all,

I need help from you.

Even after reading the Katalon Docs, I still have questions about the number of KRE floating licenses I need for my project. I know that is one license for each parallel execution session. But what exactly defines where these sessions come from? My project has a division like backend, frontend, and apps. Can I consider that I’d need one license for each asset in order to run the tests for all of them at a time?

Thanks in advance for your clarification.
Mauricio

Hi,

As mentioned in this document, You can use a license to perform multiple execution sessions on one machine at a time with the parallel mode of test suite collections. Each test case/test suite to run will be an execution session. If you create several test cases for your project (either all BE, FE and apps in 1 test case/test suite or separately), you only need to collect them into 1 test suite collection then running them in parallel mode, then you only need 1 license. Hope this answer can help!

1 Like

Hi Elly,

I apprecciate your efforts into helping Katalon users but I hope you noticed some ambiguities here.
Let us try to split:
You can use a license to perform multiple execution sessions - fine
Each test case/test suite to run will be an execution session - mhm … oook and what else?
If you create several test cases for your project (either all BE, FE and apps in 1 test case/test suite or separately … then you only need 1 license) - that tells nothing

So, how this is supposed to work?
Run test cases in parallel mode of a single test suite with only one licence?
That will be a session, fine. May work (altough i have no idea why somebody will intend to do that)

Kinldy provide more insights on what is a session and how such is tied to a test suite, collection etc

You can use a license to perform multiple execution sessions on one machine at a time with the parallel mode of test suite collections.

Your documentation states that.
However, I noticed “few” complains where this is not actually true.
How accurate is this info? Have you tried?
To which license type this apply?

One more level of ambiguity:

Currently, KSE licenses are available as per-User licenses, and KRE licenses are available as floating only.

As far as i remember, this document has been updated, at least for the past 2 years, plenty of times.
So, in the end, how is this working?

digging further on KRE specific doc:

One license allows any enabled user one active session at a time.

So, how about parallel in this statement, since only one session at a time is licenced/per user?
and even more:

to run n execution sessions on the same machine, you have to consume n licenses.

the secret is in:

One license can be shared across unlimited users/machines.

at a time? or seqeuntially?
so, as an user, i have to spin up multiple machines to achieve parallel execution with a single licence? or that is also a lie?

@Elly_Tran worry not, I may be confused as you are, despite the fact I am apparently an experienced katalon comunity member.
But the documentation,I hope you agree, is totally confusing.

So let us try to escalate:
@vu.tran any idea who may be entitled to bring some light here (and update the doc)
thx

1 Like

Hi,

I agree with you that I have the same confusion at the time I read the document. I really welcome suggestion on my understanding just like yours. And if you also found the same confusion like me, I will try to escalate it to technical writing team to provide clarification and update the doc. Thank you so much!

Hi folks,

Our documentations team has received your feedback and is working to update said docs to clear up any confusion that it might have caused. I will update you once it goes live.

Thanks for your patience! :+1:

This information would be very useful. I’d like to start the procurement process, but I’m hesitating on the number of KRE licenses.