KRE license needed

Me and my team is doing a project through Katalon.We have got 10 Katalon studion license for each user.My question is How many KRE license do we need to execute test cases parallelly ? and in one KRE license how many test cases can be execute parallelly from one machine ?

2 Likes

Hi there,

Thank you very much for your topic. Please note that it may take a little while before a member of our community or from Katalon team responds to you.

Thanks!

Kindly reply

You need 10 KRE licenses (separately) to run tests parallelly

For running N parallel / concurrent sessions on a single machine , it would require N KRE licenses to be able to run via CICD pipeline

1 Like

Hi @debiprasad.samantara , you may run tests in parallel with one single KRE licences by creating Test Suites that may be grouped in a Suite Collection.
For instance , if you have a group of tests organized in a test suite then you may create a Suite collection that includes your test suite to be run in Chrome and Firefox (for example).When executing that Suite Collection both test suite will run in parallel, which means that your test cases will be executed in both browsers at the same time.

Here I guess that you expect your tests in parallel mode to run faster than in sequential mode.

In my humble opinion, the parallel mode of Test Suite Collection runs no faster than the sequential mode. So the parallel mode is not really usefull. Why? See the following post of mine.

and

I would suggest you:

1. Don’t use a Test Suite Collection at all
  2. Create multiple Test Suites. Let CI/CD pipeline to distributes the Test Suites into multiple agents on mutilple machines; as an extreme case, let a single Test Suite to run on a single box.
  3. You need to purchase multiple KRE licenses; the number of licenses will be equal to or greater than the number of processes to which you distribute your Test Suites.

Hi @kazurayam , it’s not a matter of having different opinions, just analyze the facts (see screenshots Parallell.png,Sequential_firefox.png,Sequential_chrome.png).
total time sequential execution = 31.387s + 21.048s = 52.435s
total time parallel execution= 36.984s
difference sequential and parallel= 15.451s
this means that sequential execution is 15.451s slower than parallell ,parellel execution is 34,559% faster than sequential

The only variable to take into consideration in this scenario it’s the hardware capacity of your server to satisfy the nececessary hardware requirements when opening multiple browsers instances while executing test cases.
As to your observation with regard to the browser’s capability to run in parallel on a single machine,it’s very simple to verify, just create a Test Suite then create a Suite Collection containing the previous Test Suite created that will be executed in Chrome and Firefox, you’ll observe that both browsers are open at the same time,reducing execution time considerably (see screenshot Task manager.png).

I understand this.

If a test case runs Chrome, the other runs Firefox, then these 2 test cases has little resource contentions. So that the parellel mode can be effective.

If a test case runs Chrome, the other runs Chrome as well, then you will notice that Chrome instances perform sequentially. In this case the parallel mode won’t be effective.

Personally I am interested in the latter scenario (both uses Chrome). I am not interested in multi-browsers testing scenario. Therefore I tend to be skeptic about the parallel mode of Test Suite Collection.

Hi @kazurayam , I’m afraid that you are wrong again, running in parallel with the same browser will have exactly the same behavior than running in parallel with different browsers.
As a matter of fact, for a project for European Union, we are currently executing Suite Collections, each one of them executing between 8 to 10 Test Suites,each test suite may contain between 8 to 10 Test Cases.
This means that 8 to 10 Chrome instances are open at the same time in the parallel execution.
Suite Collections are executed only in Chrome and in parallel, due to this configuration we’ve reduced time execution substantially which is a business requirement since the whole execution cannot take longer than five minutes.
Current average time execution is around 2m20s, we’ve been working like this for the last 3 years, no issues reported related to parallel execution, on the contrary thanks to parallel execution we satisfy perfectly business requirement.

Thank you for pointing out that I am wrong.
I recognize that I am not knowlegeable enough about the “parallelism in Katlaon Studio” issue.
I would no longer post about it.

Thank you all for your times and suggestions