Site Feedback Roundup - July 15

Here is another glitch - it involves the addition of the recent posters avatars to the topic listing which, in addition to the “glow” effect, has some spurious CSS positioning applied. Like this: image using the class string “avatar latest”

As a baseline, the following shows a list of avatars WITHOUT the most recent poster glow applied and no obvious change in the positioning:

Here is a list of avatars showing the problem. Note the out-of-position recent poster, shifted up and to the left:

Removing the glow, the most recent poster is still out of position:

The following image removes the glow AND the spurious CSS which causes the positioning problem:

The CSS I removed to fix it:

Now we can put the glow back:

image Pretty sweet and back to how it used to work (i.e properly) :dart:

Best advice: The more complex your CSS, the less CSS you should add. ALWAYS try removing before adding something new. Any time you add position:relative to your CSS, make a mental note: you’ll likely be revisiting that code again and again. Whoever wrote this stuff, changed it from the original, for reasons I cannot fathom: it worked just fine.

Tested on Firefox and Chrome, Windows 10.

Actually, Chrome lays out the glow effect quite poorly – see the gap on the left? (zoomed to aid visibility)

How on Earth did you notice that, Russ?

I’m a quality analyst/test engineer. Details are my thing. Get over it :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :sunglasses:

1 Like