Lost all my Test cases after renaming folder

I think …

In the Test Cases folder, you will find some testCaseName.tc files. Those .tc files has the contents like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<TestCaseEntity>
   <description></description>
   <name>TC1</name>
   <tag></tag>
   <comment></comment>
   <testCaseGuid>12d3ba1b-646f-46cd-a413-772b9239f27c</testCaseGuid>
</TestCaseEntity>

As you can see, this is a kind of meta-information generated/controlled by Katalon Studio. The Test Cases folder dos not contain Groovy scripts. Instead, Katalon Studio saves Groovy scripts (so to call, Test Cases) into the Scripts folder.

I guess, when you renamed the folder back to Test Cases, Katalon Studio found that there are some .tc files, and KS recognised those .tc files are meta-information for new Test Cases; therefore it created new minimal scripts in the Scripts folder.

Possibly, Katalon Studio did NOT delete your previous set of Groovy scripts. KS just recreated and saved new Scripts. Your previous codes in the Scripts folder were overwritten. I suppose you have no way to restore other than retyping scripts entirely.

2 Likes

Thanks for your clarification! Appreciate it!

A post was split to a new topic: Cleanup Object Repository?

This just happened to me too. I didn’t change the name of the Test Case folder but a folder underneath it, changing a capital letter to lowercase. That left all the scripts in the folder empty except for the imports, as if they were all new files.

I checked on the filesystem and the groovy files in the scripts folder are the same, imports only.

I can’t believe that changing the name of a folder under Test Cases is expected to have that affect. Without any warning at all. So easy to lose so much work.

Sorry to hear you lost a lot.

It‘s time for you to start using Git so that you wouldn’t lose anything in future.

I create a local Git repository for each of all Katalon Studio projects for failure recovery. All projects; no exception.

Sorry to hear you lost your test cases, been there done that. This is what I do: How-to: I just lost all my test cases what do I do now?