KRE Licensing questions

Hi…!
We are currently using Jenkins to schedule execution and execute the test via CI/CD, my question is what Katalon runtime engine additionally doing plz can you explain me…?
Thank you in Advance…

4 Likes

If we are using Jenkins right now with 6.3 will we be forced to move to 7.0 and RE or will still be able to use current version with Jenkins ?

1 Like

Hi tomasz.marusik

RE just applied from KS 7. It’s recommended to use the new version but you still able to use v6.x on your Jenkins server.
KS 6 will be available for online download and activate till April-30, 2020. There will be no maintenance, support (except enterprise support customer) or bug fix for this version from now till its sunset.

1 Like

But will the free licence work after april. I don’t want the situation I’ll move our tests to Katalon as it is free and then in 6 months they will be useless without paid licence.

2 Likes

The free license should work until you re-install the tool or re-activate on your local.

Long time supporter and evangelist of Katalon but the need to pay for Run-time Engine and making Basic Reporting as plug-ins instead of default features is making me move away from this tool. The company used to be looking after the best interest of automation community, now its all about profits.

19 Likes

You are completely right. They shouldn’t add a paywall to one of the primary reasons the program is used.

7 Likes

Agree with you. Based integrated CLI function pay may let me off

4 Likes

100%. I have also been a long-time evangelist of Katalon. Now, I have to defend their decisions to my higher-ups because I’m the one that convinced them to make the switch months ago. Now, they’re breaking everything into pieces and making what was sold to us as “free and open-source” automation tool become useless to a professional company without paying something in advance. Honestly, I don’t know why Katalon would have made RE be the ONLY way to implement Katalon in a CLI pipeline.

15 Likes

Hi Mohamed_Sajjaath

Katalon runtime engine (RE) is not the additional but required to run in the command-line or execute test remotely without the GUI interface of Katalon Studio, from KS7 you can not run CLI without RE.

1 Like

I am also considering moving to another tool, after this dirty change, and I’m afraid it’s just one of many in the future. I supported this tool in my company as an evangelist from the very beginning, we became partners and now I feel shame. “This tool is and will be free forever”. Liars. Once they have a strong community, they totally focus on profit.

26 Likes

Agree!! I have been pushing using this tool in different companies that I worked in, I am shocked that the RE is not included in the Enterprise License …separating the 2 makes it easy to collect more money for a tool that used to be part of the core service…I guess will need to start looking for other solutions that are more honest up front!

I think it is crazy going from free software to charging for every time you use Katalon in pipeline is crazily expensive for smaller companies to handle. I think many don’t mind to pay for the usage at a flat rate, but not what they seem to want now.

14 Likes

Unfortunately I have to agree with this thread. In many instances this is actually termed ‘intentional fraud’

This software was 100% branded “This tool is and will be free forever” and that has now changed, all that wording has been removed etc. - To be frank the pricing is actually not that expensive compared to many competitors but as an automation community the way KRE has gone about this is nothing short of deceitful. Whilst I am currently looking after more than 20+ organizations who I have absolutely entrenched in this software who are willing to pay the license costs - as a true automation evangelist I am now in the process of helping them completely remove their footprint from Katalon in its entirety.

For the simple reason, cool decide to pay and who knows next year they’ll prob change their RE license cost from $49 to $500 who knows…but like I say unfortunately this KMS organization was unfortunately never focused on their client base but of course on the bottom line. Whilst I can understand commercializing it is the way they have gone about this that is purely unacceptable.

16 Likes

So bad… , Guys if we want to use any Automation tool, CLI is minimum expectation, if it is not available with free, that doesn’t make this is freeware… Why Katalon team is doing this, This make not to trust any new tool in market… Signing off … need to look into reliable tool or my own framework… So disappointing…

13 Likes

startup CTO here, checked out Katalon because I heard good things, but discovering that I have to pay $50 a month ON TOP of $70 a month for the studio LOLOLOL

hard pass, sorry :man_shrugging:

7 Likes

now that their floating licenses are getting better support, i’d hope that they would allow you one free floating license per user.

1 Like

I love this post because I can’t wait to see the Katalon developers panicking and giving discounts and free trials and stuff because noone new is joing their over-priced platform (with some major paywalls) which was advertised free in the first place.

It’s going to be especially bad when the current testers who are paying (because they’re still dependent on the software) start leaving because some new better testing software gets released that actually cares about test automation instead of making money.

Once March 2020 hits and the older versions of Katalon go into “Sunset mode” making them unusable, most of the users will start to disappear to something else, because paying $50 dollars a month for something that should be included in the base package plus $70 dollars for the studio is just a bad option.

Literally the start of a decremented piece of software.

8 Likes

I am totally agreed with you. I am Katalon evangelist from last few years but they are just focusing on money. Separating KRE from KS seems very cheap move. Rather separating they must have been included it into KS7 and KSE7 versions.

3 Likes

@Mubasheraqeel in fact, separating the runtime from the gui app is a good idea, imho
Speaking about the charge plans … that’s another story and there are plenty debates on this matter on various topics.
Kindly search & use them if you have something new to add, there is no point in repeating again and again the same question/frustration on thousands topics

My organization bought 2 KSE and 2 KRE floating licenses. We successfully installed KSE licenses on local machines but we having issues installing floating KRE license. When I try to run Test suites through CMD line from my local machine where I have KSE license installed, I’m getting following error:
Trial license is only available for Katalon accounts registered with a business email.
Online activation for console mode failed.
Activation failed. Please make sure you are using a valid license.
All launchers terminated

Does anyone know or have any kind of information on how to Install floating KRE license? Can I install floating KRE license on my local machine with existed KSE license or floating KRE is only for DevOps, Azure and Docker.

Do I need node KRE license instead? I would appreciate any feedback on this post. Thank you

1 Like