KRE licence question

Is there a free trial for KRE (node-lock)? I downloaded the Katalon RE for mac(I could see only one option), but how do I know that if it is the node-lock or devops one? Also is there a free trial for these different types of RE? It is a bit confusing how to start using it. could you please point me to the right/latest document for activation. Thanks in advance! Jasmi

Hi @jasmi

There is no free version of KRE. There is a 30-day trial for KRE that require a business email (non-gmail, none-yahoo, none-outlook, etc). When you trial KRE, it is a floating license, which means you can use it on pretty much all environments.

However, when the trial expires, you’d need to determine between node-locked license and DevOps license. Please refer to the FAQ of this page: https://www.katalon.com/pricing/ for more information regarding when to use node-locked and DevOps.

OK. do I need to purchase it from the above link you have given( to get the 30 days trial too)

When you register a Katalon account, you’re automatically granted the 30-day trial. To use KRE, you need to download it from our page first.

Then you need to create an AP key in TestOps (using the trial account)

Then you’d need to generate a command line in Katalon Studio using the Command Builder:

You should wait for the API key to be loaded.

Then you can use KRE to execute this command line.

Thank you @ThanhTo I will try this and get back if I have more questions.

Hi @ThanhTo. We have now purchased 3 Katalon Enterprise licences for 3 test engineers. Now my question is again about the KRE licence. We have a Jenkins machine with Docker installed. We use Katalon Studio Docker image on that Jenkins machine. I assume that then we need to get Devops RE license for that? Now about installing them. We do have a company mail adress for installation of our test tools. Please let me know if the steps that I am describing below are correct for installing RE license

1. Create a Katalon account with the above mentioned mail account
  2. Then we will get a Katalon studio package which has 30 days trial of both Katalon studio and floating KRE
  3. Now I need to download the KRE on the Jenkins machine from your page
  4. Then create a API key either as in https://docs.katalon.com/katalon-analytics/docs/ka-api-key.html#create-an-api-key using the registered account or API key will be auto filled by the command builder.
    5.Then generate a command line in Katalon Studio using command builder
  5. Using the command the tests can be executed

Please let me know if I am in the right direction for installation.
Thank you!

Hi @jasmi

Yes, that is the correct steps. Also, it is important to use (or extend from) our official Docker image.

Yes. We are using the official Katalon docker image. So After 30 days we need to purchase the Devops RE license, correct ?
/Jasmi

Yes, that is correct @jasmi.

OK. Thank you so much for the quick response!
Best regards
Jasmi

Greetings,
I am following the steps you describe above to try using KRE during the 30-day trial period with KS but the test run fails.
My account is registered with a valid business email but the error message states the license is invalid.

Content of the error log:
katalon.versionNumber=7.2.1
katalon.buildNumber=1
INFO: Katalon Version: 7.2.1
INFO: Command-line arguments: -runMode=console -projectPath=C:\mjp-regression\Katalon.prj -retry=0 -testSuitePath=Test Suites/Extended Happy Path - Cultivation -executionProfile=red.mjplatform.com -browserType=Chrome -apiKey=******
INFO: User working dir: C:\Users<user name>\Katalon_Studio_Engine_Windows_64-7.2.1
INFO: Error log: C:/Users//AppData/Local/Temp/session-24e4d3df/.metadata/.log
INFO: Katalon TestOps server URL: https://analytics.katalon.com
INFO: Katalon Store server URL: https://store.katalon.com
INFO: User home: C:\Users<user name>
INFO: Java vendor: Oracle Corporation
INFO: Java version: 1.8.0_181
INFO: Local OS: Windows 10 64bit
INFO: CPU load: 29%
INFO: Total memory: 24426 MB
INFO: Free memory: 3561 MB
INFO: Machine ID:

Activating…
Start activating offline…
Search for valid offline licenses in folder: C:\Users<user name>.katalon\license
The number of valid offline licenses: 0
Start activating online…
log4j:WARN No appenders could be found for logger (org.apache.http.client.protocol.RequestAddCookies).
log4j:WARN Please initialize the log4j system properly.
Invalid license.
Trial license is only available for Katalon accounts registered with a business email.
All launchers terminated

What about my license is invalid? What

Jeff

Hi @roadbike

Have you made sure that your account’s email a business email ?

Yes it is the email assigned to me by my company. The key I used is generated via the corporate account.

Jeff

Hi @roadbike

Did you generate the command line which also contains the API key from the Command Builder in Katalon Studio ? Or you just generated the command line and then added the API key via copy-paste later ?

There have been instances where people copy paste from a text editor and thus invalid invisible characters are also brought over. If the API key looks valid but in fact contains some invalid characters then it may explain why you’re not able to run it. Please check if this is the case.

I generated the command line from the Command Builder.

Jeff

Hi Katalon Team / @ThanhTo ,

I want to purchase 2 floating KRE license.

What is procedure to buy 2 floating license of KRE.

In pricing section of Katalon website, there is a note that it will need me to buy at least 30 licenses.

Could you please help me to buy 2 floating license of KRE.

Regards,
Nitesh Kumar

1 Like