Katalon object folder creating additional subfolder when its already created see below explanation

QUESTION:

Why when you already have an Object Repository with a page folder from a certain page, when creating another object that belongs to the same page; it creates an additional sub page folder. It should simply add the object if there is already a page folder created? I hope this was clear

Then it will show like this

I then have to go back and MOVE the object to the first folder then DELETE the current folder that was created a second time! Am I doing something wrong, any tips?

2 Likes

Hi,

I will take a look at it and back to you soon if there is a way or not.

1 Like

Working fine at my End.sub page folder create when we do not select Parent Object repository during saving new recorded Object repository.

You see that checkbox in your first screenshot on the righthand side that reads ‘Create new folder(s) as structure below’? If you uncheck that, you should be able to save your test objects without creating even more folders

1 Like

Hello @naomy.arnold : It will not happen when you use record web as it will quickly highlight the duplicate page and its objects. I see that it is happening when you are capturing the object locator through Spy web utility.

There are a few reasons why Katalon Studio creates a new subfolder for an object when you spy a new object on the same page as an existing object.

First, Katalon Studio uses the page title to create the folder structure for the object repository. This means that if you spy a new object on the same page as an existing object, but the page title is different, Katalon Studio will create a new folder for the new object. For example, if you spy a new object on the “Home” page, but the page title is “Home Page”, Katalon Studio will create a new folder called “Home Page”.

Second, Katalon Studio may create a new folder for an object if the object type is different from the object types in the existing folder. For example, if you spy a new button on the “Home” page, but the existing folder in the object repository only contains text fields, Katalon Studio will create a new folder for the button.

Finally, Katalon Studio may create a new folder for an object if the object name is the same as the name of an existing object in the object repository

Let us know if you are satisfied with this explanation !

2 Likes

Thank You… I get the first and second part Money!

Finally, Katalon Studio may create a new folder for an object if the object name is the same as the name of an existing object in the object repository ( why create it of its already there)?

By creating a new folder for each object with the same name, Katalon Studio can more quickly find the object that it is looking for in your tests.

Ultimately, the decision of whether or not to create a new folder for each object with the same name is up to you. There are pros and cons to both approaches, so you should weigh the options carefully before making a decision.

Agree that it also makes the object repository more cluttered

This is for spy web only

P.S : I wish my name was Money :money_mouth_face::moneybag:

1 Like

:rofl: got it!!! AHHH

Make sense because sometimes I do want a DUMMY (duplicate) object so I can see the flow… thank you

Thanks Money I mean @Monty_Bagati