Jenkins Build -> Execute Katalon Test -> Browserstack Remote Appium Test

Whether it is feasible to execute Test case from Jenkins when the test suite contains tests with remote capability being executed on Browserstack using appium?

jenkins (or any CI tool) has no benefit unless you understand the CI/CD principles …

Ok let me rephrase my question:

I have created a mobile test case which gets executed on browserstack with Appium(Not Selenium).
I have a test suite with different device configured.

Now I have created freestyle project in Jenkins to execute this test suite. Currently selecting the source code from local.

Question is : If I build that free style project to execute Katalon test. Will it execute on Browserstack??

I am trying to do it and also looking for information. if it FEASIBLE or done by anybody.

ah, now i get it, sorry.
well, in theory should work just fine. in the end it is just execution from CLI, so if it works on your machine,with a bit of caution should work just fine also from jenkins.

Thanks. …I am stuck but I think its related with permission.

post more details and we can try to debug you

So as I already told everything works fine with command line.

Jenkins build is also passing :

but I dont see instance running on browserstack(with instance I mean below highlighted in BS)

Any suggestions?

@Ibus: Ping

pong.
i am going to sleep now. will look into it tomorrow.
different timezones :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Neelesh_Singh if you execute the test from your local machine, in CLI mode , using the same command as in the jenkins log, does it run fine in BS? if not, check again the capabilities set in your project.

if from local machine is fine, but not from jenkins, check the connectivity of your jenkins machine to BS. e.g, ping BS from your machine, check the result, do the same from a jenkins script, compare.

see also this note from the doc:

Starting with Katalon Studio version 6.3.0 , when Appium is set as Remote server type , the Appium Driver option is available for you to choose between Android Driver and iOS Driver . Then this selection is used for launching the correct Appium Driver to connect to Cloud Devices.

1 Like

@Ibus if you execute the test from your local machine, in CLI mode , using the same command as in the jenkins log, does it run fine in BS? Yes it works fine from the local machine.
if from local machine is fine, but not from jenkins, check the connectivity of your jenkins machine to BS. e.g, ping BS from your machine, check the result, do the same from a jenkins script, compare.

Ping works fine:

Below is the exception I am getting:

Katalon:
An error has occurred. See the log file
/tmp/katalon-16228446612008806865/config/.metadata/.log.
WARNING: An illegal reflective access operation has occurred
WARNING: Illegal reflective access by org.codehaus.groovy.reflection.CachedClass$3$1 (file:/var/lib/jenkins/.katalon/5.10.1/Katalon_Studio_Linux_64-5.10.1/plugins/org.codehaus.groovy_2.4.7.xx-201611170128-e46/lib/groovy-all-2.4.7.jar) to method java.lang.Object.finalize()
WARNING: Please consider reporting this to the maintainers of org.codehaus.groovy.reflection.CachedClass$3$1
WARNING: Use --illegal-access=warn to enable warnings of further illegal reflective access operations
WARNING: All illegal access operations will be denied in a future release
Build step ‘Execute Katalon Studio Tests’ marked build as failure
Finished: FAILURE

I see you are using an old version of katalon … no idea what can cause this, perhaps a conflict within the libraries?

@devalex88 @ThanhTo any clue?

@Neelesh_Singh can you try a newest katalon version?

@Ibus : I tried with the latest version(6.3.3) but still not able to succeed.

Below is the java version for more information.

I would also like to know where all I can see the logs apart from temp like “/tmp/katalon-12720932557682309938/config/.metadata/.log.”

java 11 is not supported. use openjdk8

@Ibus let me try…thanks for suggestion

@ibus
openjdk8 worked for me. We can close the thread. Thanks for all your help.

1 Like

glad to hear that!