Where can I find DETAILED documentation about Katalon debugging

Hi,

I’ve been looking for some decent documentation about the debugging module of Katalon Studio. So far I was able to find only very basic documentation of the flow but no real details. Needed to go through posts and articles and still didn’t find a lot. This forum did answer questions of mine, but I’d like to see some sort of A-Z flow. Debugging is obviously a crucial aspect of any kind of coding/scripting and as it seems to me like Katalon takes documentation and tutorials pretty seriously I was surprised to find out the debugging module is poorly documented.
I’d love to find out I’m mistaken.

Thanks.
Eric

2 Likes

I’d love to find out I’m mistaken

Your not mistaken, sad to say.

The debugger is very disappointing. It fails to track step-into successfully 99% of the time. The only solution I’ve found is to set all the breakpoints I need, throughout the test source ahead of running the test case – otherwise, it can’t find the source line to step to. That’s a pain point I’d like to see fixed real soon.

3 Likes

Thanks, Russ,

Yeah, debugging might be the most painful aspect of working with Katalon as far as I can tell as a new Katalon user. Being used to working with IDEs and taking advantage of debugging regularly, I was disappointed to find out that basic coding/debugging features are missing, things like jumping to the code line that caused a failure, evaluating **any **valid code expression on the fly, or going to the file location on the tree (object, TC or TS).

Can someone from the Katalon team reply please and describe [a] the debugging feature and [b] the team’s policy and plan for it?
This is a very serious and relevant consideration for us when assessing now the feasibility of using Katalon on the long term and we’d like to the team’s angle on it.

Thanks a lot!