Unable to step into external libraries, and 'Add Source Lookup Path' is not working

Hi there,

We couldn’t find a solution from the website or the forum, so I am posting here. Hopefully, a dev will see and help us.

We use external libraries (with sources) in our Katalon test cases. It is important that we can step in the external java classes when debugging Katalon test cases.

The problem we are experiencing is like this:

1. Try to step into the external class until running into the ‘Source not found’ message with the ‘Edit Source Lookup Path’ button.

2. Add the corresponding jar file that also contains .java files in the pop-up dialog.

3. Click OK to close the ‘Edit Source Lookup Path’ window.

4. Visibly another window (presumably the file we want to debug with) flashes out (jumps out but disappears immediately).

5. Open the ‘Edit Source Lookup Path’ window again, and the Source Lookup Path is empty as if nothing had been added.

* We are able to see the content of the .java files by selecting ‘Open Declared Type’ from the debugging view.

My question is: is debugging external libraries currently supported? Is the symptom described above a known issue?

Thank you very much,

Zheng

2 Likes

pump

Zheng,

Thanks for your detail information. We are looking into the issue and will return back to you if there is any progress.

Trong Bui said:

Zheng,

Thanks for your detail information. We are looking into the issue and will return back to you if there is any progress.

Hi Trong,

We encountered similar issue when trying to debug Test Listener classes.

Best regards,
Zheng

Zheng Li said:

Trong Bui said:

Zheng,

Hi Trong,

Best regards,
Zheng

Hi Zheng Li,

Test Listener source code is not exposed, so that’s why you encounter this issue, so I believe this is expected behavior

Vinh Nguyen said:

Zheng Li said:

Trong Bui said:

Zheng,

Hi Trong,

Best regards,
Zheng

Hi Zheng Li,

Test Listener source code is not exposed, so that’s why you encounter this issue, so I believe this is expected behavior

Hi Vinh,
Thank for the prompt response! But is ‘not being able to step into external sources’ in the original question the case? We would really like to be able to debug from Katalon Studio.

Thank you very much,
Zheng

pump

@Trong Bui said:
Zheng,

@Vinh Nguyen said:
Zheng Li said:

Trong Bui said:

Zheng,

Hi Trong,

Best regards,
Zheng

Hi Zheng Li,

Can you please confirm that ‘not being able to debug the custom groovy classes’ is expected behavior? My second thought is that I might mislead you into thinking I was trying to step in Katalon API. Rather, I was trying to debug my own Listener class.

Meanwhile, my colleagues and I are eagerly awaiting for your response on the ‘unable to step in external library source code’ issue as stated in the first post.

Many thanks in advance,
Sincerely,
Zheng

Any progress on this issue? It’s still affecting us, even with the latest Katalon release.
Thanks

Andres,

The feature has not available yet. We are still looking for a proper solution.

Works as expected in 5.4.2

Hi all,

Sorry to inform this late, but this issue is fixed on Katalon Studio 5.4.2. Please help to double check on that version.