Unable to move the selection : null

When I move a object file, folder (at Object Repository) to another folder, I got an error Unable to move the selection : null.
After refresing the folder, the file is moved actually. But it is a bit annoying.
Also I cannot remove the copied file occationally…


Please let us know how would your work be affected if this issue has not been resolved?

  1. I can continue my job, but my performance is lower than expected

Operating System

  • Mac OS Catalina 10.15.5

Katalon Studio Version

7.5.5

Katalon Studio logs

log.log (141.0 KB)

Screenshots / Videos


1 Like

Rename is also failed. Renaming it again then it works.

Neither Downgrading to 7.5.2 / 7.5.1 nor reinstall 7.5.5 work…
Has it been broken? Isn’t there a solution?


What I did the day I first saw this problem

  • Change appearance (Default to “Mac”)
  • Update to 7.5.5 (from 7.5.2(?) …at least upper than 7.5)

Bump, I’m having the same issue trying both 7.4.0 and 7.5.5. Is there any known resolution or workaround? If I do rename twice, it renames the file but it does not update all references to that file so I would have to manually refactor every place that file is referenced.

1 Like

FYI : Now I use Katalon 7.5.5 in another laptop and this problem doesn’t occur for now… (Mac OS Catalina 10.15.5, same as old one)
So I guess there is some trigger to occur this problem.

In old laptop having this problem, I don’t have any resolution or workaround.
Please help us.

@rie.ota

In the .log file you attached, I found this message:

Caused by: org.xml.sax.SAXParseException; systemId: file:/Users/rieota/katalon-ui-test/shobodroid/Object%20Repository/admin/Office/.meta; lineNumber: 4; columnNumber: 2; The content of elements must consist of well-formed character data or markup.

This message implies that the file is there but its content text is broken. So how does it look like?

Could you share the probilematic file /Users/rieota/katalon-ui-test/shobodroid/Object%20Repository/admin/Office/.meta ?

You mentioned that you have another laptop where this problem doesn’t occur. Then why not you look at the same .meta file. How they are different?

On the machine where you have the problem, why not you try to edit the .meta file to make it identical to the one on another machine. Let’s see if the problem goes away or not.

Here’s what I found out: I had some corrupt objects in the repo (they were empty, 0kb files). Having any corrupt files under the Object Repository folder made this error occur when moving any object in the repo via the UI. I used this Windows app to quickly check for invalid XML files, (free version will give you the list in the UI of the app) then manually went and deleted them out. After deleting them all, I can drag/drop and rename other objects without errors.

XML Validator: https://www.sobolsoft.com/validatexml/

Note though that when I drag/drop or rename, it is not successfully refactoring the references to these objects. This issue is likely a separate issue though so I don’t need to derail the whole thread unless there’s a quick answer to this.

@duyluong
@ThanhTo

I suppose there is a hidden bug in the refactoring feature in the Object Repository.

Thank you for the report and investigation. We will try to reproduce this, and will let you know when there’s more information.

Have you put this into your Traced Backlog?

@kazurayam It’s in the backlog for investigation and reproduction.

@kazurayam sorry for the late reply.

I checked my git log and .meta file.

/Users/rieota/katalon-ui-test/shobodroid/Object%20Repository/admin/Office/.meta file showed conflict in that time. It means the file was actually broken.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<FolderEntity>
  <description>folder</description>
<<<<<<< HEAD:shobodroid/Object Repository/admin/waad/.meta
  <name>waad</name>
=======
  <name>Office</name>
>>>>>>> (commit number)/Object Repository/admin/Office/.meta
  <tag></tag>
  <folderType>WEBELEMENT</folderType>
</FolderEntity>

Now I remember… shortly before this error occurred, the files that were supposed to be renamed and moved are back in place, and I’ve had some conflicts.
I don’t know if it was a bug or my bad git operation…

In my old laptop, I fixed the conflict of the files but not .meta file. Now there is no conflict in meta file and it seems to be ok in spite of old laptop.

1 Like

@rie.ota

Glad you got it resolved.

I’ve reproduced this successfully, and added an issue to Github for ease of tracking.

2 Likes

The following post looks to be related to this. renaming a Test Object causes something wrong.