Release v8.5.4.alpha · katalon-studio/katalon-studio: com.kms.katalon.core.appium.exception.AppiumStartException: Fail to start Appium server in 30 seconds

After downloading Release v8.5.4.alpha · katalon-studio/katalon-studio · GitHub and following the instructions Execute mobile tests with Appium 2.x in Katalon Studio (PoC) | Katalon Docs, I’m getting the error:

com.kms.katalon.core.appium.exception.AppiumStartException: Fail to start Appium server in 30 seconds

while trying to run this test on the simulator:

The last “successful” line (as it can be seen at the Katalon Console output shown at the bottom):

2023-01-29 16:12:44.146 INFO c.k.k.c.a.driver.AppiumDriverManager - Detected NodeJS location: “/opt/homebrew/Cellar/node/19.2.0/bin/node”

makes me think that there might be some issues while running Katalon on Apple M1 chip

, in which case NodeJS location is different from where Katalon expects to find it (i.e. in

which is the correct location in case of Intel chips but not the correct location in case of Apple chips)

There is no problem, while starting Appium server from the Terminal. Also, the location for NodeJS shown in the Terminal:

/opt/homebrew/bin/node

looks different from what is shown in Katalon Console output:

Detected NodeJS location: “/opt/homebrew/Cellar/node/19.2.0/bin/node”

Katalon Console output:

hi @gdearest07 ,
Let’s try to increase timeout to 60s Fail to start Appium server in 30 seconds | Katalon Docs
Did you settings Appium v2 on Project Settings? Please restart KS if you already did it. Moreover, can you send me a full log for better investigation?

Hi @duc.tnguyen ,

It does look like a KATALON ISSUE, which might be related to the wrong assumption that everybody is using Macs with Inlel chips only (please see my original message and 2. in this message).

1. Increasing timeout doesn’t help and settings Appium v2 is used. As for the full log, please let me know what you mean by that and where that log can be found.

2. After opening Katalon from the Terminal like this (as per Node.js not installed - #24 by rparker)

open -a /Applications/Katalon\ Studio.app

the Appium started :

but the following error is shown :

@gdearest07 I think that this error means that the expected name of the desired capability needs to start with “appium:”. Can you share the desired capabilities you are using? I have seen a “platformName” or the “appium:platformVersion” capability but I am not familiar with a “platform” capability. Also, I believe that appium deprecated the “realDeviceLogger” capability.

@kreno , I use no desired capabilities (at least deliberately) :

if you mean the capabilities that can be set up in the Project setting.

In the file mentioned in the error,

there are tons of different capabilities :

For example:

or

but I have no idea what they mean and how they are used.

Long story short, all I did was just

1.Followed Katalon’s instructions at Execute mobile tests with Appium 2.x in Katalon Studio (PoC) | Katalon Docs
2. Created the simplest test shown in my first message
3. Set Appium Directory to /opt/homebrew/lib/node_modules/appium

4 while trying to run the test on the simulator (as it’s shown in my 1st message), got the error

com.kms.katalon.core.appium.exception.AppiumStartException: Fail to start Appium server in 30 seconds

1. After opening Katalon from the Terminal like this (as per Node.js not installed - #24 by rparker)open -a /Applications/Katalon\ Studio.app, got this error

It looks like something is very wrong with KATALON + iOS (+ Apple M1 chip?). I’ve been trying to make it work for quite a while now, it’s never worked so far.

@kreno , I believe I saw something about you using “Remote” to make Katalon work with iOS. Can you please advise us how to make it work? Thanks.

@duc.tnguyen, @kreno

FYI: There is no problem, while using Appium inspector

a) with an emulator:

b) with a real device:

, which shows that there is no problem with Android.

Again, it looks like something is very wrong with KATALON + iOS (+ Apple M1 chip?). I’ve been trying to make it work for quite a while now, it’s never worked so far.

@gdearest07 Since this is an alpha version of Katalon Studio there could be an issue. When I was testing this version I was only testing with launching mobile apps instead of mobile browser windows but it was working for me with Katalon + iOS + Apple M1 chip.

If you would like to setup using appium 2.0 with remote execution the instructions are essentially the same as the documentation: Remote Execution for Mobile Testing in Katalon Studio | Katalon Docs

The two changes are that are required for remote execution are: the remote server url should be changed to “http://localhost:4723/” and all the appium desired capabilities names need to start with “appium:” (so “deviceName” becomes “appium:deviceName”).

1 Like

@kreno , did you have the same locations and settings as I do (please see below) when you were testing it with Katalon + iOS + Apple M1 chip?

hi @gdearest07 ,
Let me know what is the device you try to run with Appium v2? a real device, simulator, or both?

Hi @duc.tnguyen ,

As it was mentioned in my messages above, with Katalon I was trying to use the emulator to run the simplest web test on Ventura 13.01:

Please note, that for some reason my real device is not even shown in Katalon even though it’s shown in Xcode and there is no problem when it’s used with Appium Inspector.

After opening Katalon from the Terminal like this (as per Node.js not installed - #24 by rparker)open -a /Applications/Katalon\ Studio.app, the Appium started but the following error is shown :

There is no problem, while using Appium inspector either with an emulator or a real device.

@gdearest07 I have the same locations for appium and brew but my node is at /user/local/bin/node. The appium location setting inside Katalon Studio is the same.

I haven’t tried it to start a web browser but the Katalon Studio build supporting appium 2.0 did work for me when using both a real iOS device and an iOS simulator with an app.

1 Like

That might be the rootcause of the problems? Lots of people were complaining Node.js not installed - #24 by rparker. And it kind of supports my theory about Katalon expecting to find Node only in /user/local/bin/node.

By the way, did you do anything special to have your node at /user/local/bin/node? I was just using brew to install it and, as a result , node is shown in /opt/homebrew/bin/node, not in /user/local/bin/node.

Seriously, @duyluong, how long should we wait before someone will look into these issues? Thanks in advance!

1. com.kms.katalon.core.appium.exception.AppiumStartException: Fail to start Appium server in 30 seconds (see above)

2. After opening Katalon from the Terminal like this (as per Node.js not installed - #24 by rparker open -a /Applications/Katalon\ Studio.app, the Appium started but the following error is shown

There is no problem, while using Appium inspector either with an emulator or a real device.

1. For some reason my real device is not even shown in Katalon even though it’s shown in Xcode and there is no problem when it’s used with Appium Inspector.

hi @gdearest07 ,

could you try to add desired capabilities from the below image on Katalon setting iOS?

Hi @duc.tnguyen .

This didn’t help

38;5;0m[HTTP]e[0m e[90m{“desiredCapabilities”:{“newCommandTimeout”:1800,“realDeviceLogger”:“/Applications/Katalon Studio.app/Contents/Eclipse/configuration/resources/tools/deviceconsole”,“platformVersion”:“16.2”,“automationName”:“XCUITest”,“browserName”:“Safari”,“platformName”:“iOS”,“udid”:“70DED131-C9A6-4103-9351-7BB47CFBCD65”,“deviceId”:“70DED131-C9A6-4103-9351-7BB47CFBCD65”,“deviceName”:“iPhone 14”,“platform":“IOS”,“wdaLocalPort”:61258},“capabilities”:{“firstMatch”:[{“appium:automationName”:“XCUITest”,“browserName”:“Safari”,“deviceId”:“70DED131-C9A6-4103-9351-7BB47CFBCD65”,“appium:deviceName”:“iPhone 14”,“appium:newCommandTimeout”:1800,“platform”:“IOS”,“platformName”:“ios”,“appium:platformVersion”:“16.2”,“realDeviceLogger”:”/Applications/Katalon Studio.app/Contents/Eclipse/configuration/resources/tools/deviceconsole",“appium:udid”:“70DED131-C9A6-4103-9351-7BB47CFBCD65”,“appium:wdaLocalPort”:61258}]}}e[39m
e[35m[Appium]e[39m Could not parse W3C capabilities: All non-standard capabilities should have a vendor prefix. The following capabilities did not have one: deviceId,platform,realDeviceLogger

And this didn’t help either

you should add prefix appium: for all desired capabilities on this screen and remove iPhone 14(Simulator) field on the Device Name combo box

It’s still not working

@duc.tnguyen , are you able to run such a sample Test? If yes, why don’t you show here what exactly you are using and doing to do so? If not, why don’t you ask someone who is able to do so for their help? Thanks.

Hi,

We acknowledge that since the last week, we also receive lots of this error raising from users. We have planned to provide the workaround soon. Once the tutorial video is published, I will let you know. Thank you!

1 Like

Thank you, @Elly_Tran .

I’d just like to list the 3 issues again:

1. com.kms.katalon.core.appium.exception.AppiumStartException: Fail to start Appium server in 30 seconds (see above)
  2. After opening Katalon from the Terminal like this (as per Node.js not installed - #24 by rparker open -a /Applications/Katalon\ Studio.app, the Appium started but the following error is shown

1. For some reason my real device is not even shown in Katalon even though it’s shown in Xcode and there is no problem when it’s used with Appium Inspector.

So, I hope you are talking about all of these 3 issues, not just about 1 of them, and I’m looking forward to getting help with resolving each of these 3 issues from Katalon. Can you please comfirm it? Thanks in advance!