Optional Parallel Execution limit

Hi,
I’ve just seen in the changelog for 5.7 that the limit on Parallel executions has been set to 8 after some requests for it.
Sadly one of our main projects using Katalon uses Parallel remote execution across a number of different machines, I believe more than 8.
Could this limit be set to optional?

Thanks,
Tom

4 Likes

Yes, I saw that in the release notes and thought it sounded too low/aggressive.

Upvoted.

Agree, sounds not clear. Dear Katalon Team, please provide more details.
Upvoted.

Katalon team should make it clear if the limit is effective only on a single machine (= a single JVM instance) or the limit rules across multiple machines (= multiple JVM instances).

Hi all,

Thanks for providing your feedback. We have shared this with our team and this feature request is in our backlog for release consideration.

We will keep you posted with further updates.

Regards,

Liam

Tom,

You wrote:

Sadly one of our main projects using Katalon uses Parallel remote execution across a number of different machines, I believe more than 8.

I am curious about your Distributed Parallel execution mechanism.

Do you use BrowserStack’s parallel test?

Or do you perform Katalon’s Test Suite Collection’s Parallel execution distributed on 8 or more machines? — though I do not know how to do this.

I agree with this thread, the limit should be configurable.
The company I worked for have 60+ different websites, and I am in charge of checking their login health after updating the login portal.
I have large preparation time, but only < 30 mins for actual testing .
Without the limit I can do the following:
- Open the 60 browser on 0:30 a.m., tell all my 60 parallel login checking script to wait till 1:00 a.m.
- Stop using my computer for 30 mins, so all of the browser are ready to go
- Deploy the update on login portal on 0.55 a.m.
- on 1.00 a.m. all script executes, and check if the login is success, takes less than 1 mins to do.

With the above method, without the limit I can take < 10 mins for the whole test.
If the limit is applied, I am going to takes 30 mins to test which is a big nono.

It is so critical for my workflow that I cannot upgrade to version above 5.7, hopefully the team can understand the importance of a configurable limit. Thanks.

Just see the release note for Katalon Studio 10.1, seems like now we can configure the parallel execution limit, https://docs.katalon.com/katalon-studio/new/version-5101.html

Awesome, thank you DEV for listening to the community :smiley: