Not signed for MacOS? Katalon Studio can't be opened on Catalina

I just downloaded Katalon Studio for MacOS today from katalon.com, so whatever is the latest. I cannot open it on MacOS Catalina, because the developer has not signed it for Apple. The popup message is

“Katalina Studio.app” can’t be opened because Apple cannot check it for malicious content.

The usual workaround of opening with right-click doesn’t work on our company MacBooks because the security group has disabled that. We also don’t get the option to open apps from unsigned developers under “Security & Privacy” settings.

I found this older post that links to some instructions: Unable to install katalon on mac

However, those instructions do not work. When I go to Settings > Security > General, there is no option to open Katalon, nor any mention of it being blocked. I assume that our security group has disabled that, and for good reason.

So, I could in theory maybe use some sudo xattr command to give this app an exception, but … why? What’s going on here? Why isn’t Katalon Studio signed for Apple? Am I missing something in the installation process? Is it really supposed to be broken like this?

Hi @cos,

I found this older post that links to some instructions: Unable to install katalon on mac

Yes, you need to do this because Katalon Studio doesn’t follow Apple notarization before distributing because some of our libraries also don’t follow Apple notarization so we need to upgrade and review them carefully.

However, those instructions do not work. When I go to Settings > Security > General, there is no option to open Katalon, nor any mention of it being blocked. I assume that our security group has disabled that, and for good reason.

I could in theory maybe use some sudo xattr command to give this app an exception

It’s correct too. We are working on this issue and will release a notarized package soon but it will take 1-2 weeks from now.

Thanks

I’m not sure what you mean by “it’s correct too”, but that’s great news that you will have Katalon Studio notarized in 2 weeks. Does that mean I can just wait until mid-December and download again, and not worry about figuring out how to give my current download an exception?

Hi @cos,

Does that mean I can just wait until mid-December and download again, and not worry about figuring out how to give my current download an exception?

Yes, the notarized packages will be available in about 2 weeks. You don’t need to do any extra steps when installing Katalon Studio on macOS 10.15+.

Thanks. Looks like it got delayed by about a week since you’re saying it’ll be in about two weeks now. Would you be able to reply on this thread when it’s done? That might also help other people who search for this.

Hello @duyluong, I’m just checking in again. On November 24th you wrote that this should be ready “1-2 weeks from now”. Since it has been about two weeks since you wrote that, I just wanted to check if you expect this will be released this week? Or, if not, what is your new estimate?

I tried downloading the latest version from https://www.katalon.com/download/ today, since I had not heard back about this yet. But it appears it is still not notarized. Any update on how long it will be until the notarized package is available?

Hi @cos,

Our product team finallize that the notarized macOS package will come in the v7.9.0. The official release day is in the end January 2021.

Please stay tuned and keep watching on this issue.

Okay, thank you!

Hi @cos,

Please try out v7.9.0.rc beta release. The official release will come at the end of January.

Thanks

I’m going to wait until there’s a notarized release available on your download page, rather than trying to build my own from your beta tag.

Hi @cos,

We published Katalon Studio v7.9.0 official release a day ago, please download it from our website.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.