Loading values from a JSON file

Have you considered allowing the user the option to change a static input value to a value sourced from an external JSON? While this function isn’t useful during the record, afterwards they can edit the fields. What I’m thinking is a checkbox between Target and Value that’s for “source from JSON”, if checked the Value field switches from being static input to a JSON key name. Then when they click Export the code would have the logic to use that key value (along with the code to load a JSON in the main function)

The reason this is important is for portability - for example, I might develop the test for use in development but the testing lab might have their own instance. Therefore the operational aspects (click here and there) remain the same but the url, username, passwords, etc. might change. Having these values externalized simplifies moving of the test between sites

1 Like

Jim Woodlock said:

Have you considered allowing the user the option to change a static input value to a value sourced from an external JSON? While this function isn’t useful during the record, afterwards they can edit the fields. What I’m thinking is a checkbox between Target and Value that’s for “source from JSON”, if checked the Value field switches from being static input to a JSON key name. Then when they click Export the code would have the logic to use that key value (along with the code to load a JSON in the main function)

The reason this is important is for portability - for example, I might develop the test for use in development but the testing lab might have their own instance. Therefore the operational aspects (click here and there) remain the same but the url, username, passwords, etc. might change. Having these values externalized simplifies moving of the test between sites

We run a test suite/case before all others were we store this… Is this not something that is similar what you’re trying to accomplish here?

@Jim Woodlock,

Thank you for using our product.

Just to clarify - did you want to read test data from a JSON file? Currently, Katalon Recorder only supports CSV format. We will release an update in next two weeks to support JSON file. Meanwhile, could you please take a look at CSV format support to see if that can solve your problem?

1 Like

Alex said:

@Jim Woodlock,

Thank you for using our product.

Just to clarify - did you want to read test data from a JSON file? Currently, Katalon Recorder only supports CSV format. We will release an update in next two weeks to support JSON file. Meanwhile, could you please take a look at CSV format support to see if that can solve your problem?

May I know an update for JSON file support? thank you very much!

Hello,

Any news on the JSON capability? I really need that functionality for my new project… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you for the suggestion. This feature has been available since 3.5.7.

1 Like

Excellent, thank you for that.

Hi. I am trying to read data from a JSON file in katalon recorder. The problem is that there is no hint about how to do it. I am able to load it from CSV files using the storeCSV / (locator) / (variable) syntaxis. Does anyone know the corresponding commands and syntaxis to read data from JSON?

Hi. I am trying to read data from a JSON in katalon recorder. The problem is that there is no hint about how to do it. I am able to load it from CSV files using the storeCSV / (locator) / (variable). Does anyone knows the corresponding coomant

Any news on the JSON capability?
and how to add the .Json files inside the DATA FILES.

1 Like