Help Setting Up Katalon Docker Image w/ RE License

Has anyone successfully used their Runtime Engine License with the Katalon Studio Docker Image?

Here’s the workflow I am trying to put in place:

• My team has Katalon studio locally on our computers, synced with our GitLab repo
  • Katalon Runtime Engine license is purchased and API key is passed into .gitlab-ci.yml command
  • Additionally, we have an Ubuntu Runner Server which will be used to kick off the pipeline. This has docker, gitlab runner, and katalon installed.
  • We want to use GitLab-CI to run our test suites using the supported katalon-studio/docker-image. The example on the samples page does not have anything mentioned about how to set up or pass in the licensing.

Attempts have been unsuccessful so far, and I am struggling to find examples since the Runtime Engine Licensing model came to be.

I have the same issue with my Jenkins server running katalon container, this was working while using trial.
After my trial expired I purchased 1 KSE and one Katalon Floating Runtime Engine, but now I got an error everytime that my pipeline try to call Katalon container.

Line in Jenkins pipeline -> docker run -t --rm -v $(pwd):/katalon/katalon/source katalonstudio/katalon:7.0.3 katalon-execute.sh -browserType=‘Chrome’ -retry=0 -statusDelay=15 -testSuitePath=‘Test Suites/Proposify_TestSuite’ -apiKey=‘API KEY GOES HERE’

Error message:

Activating…
Start activating offline…
Finding valid offline licenses in folder: /root/.katalon/license
The number of valid offline licenses: 0
Offline activation failed.
Start activating online…
TestOps: Unexpected response code from Katalon TestOps server when sending request to URL: https://analytics.katalon.com/api/v1/license-keys/activate?machineKey . package=ENGINE. Actual: 400, Expected: 200
Trial license is only available for Katalon accounts registered with a business email.
Online activation for console mode failed.
Activation failed. Please make sure you are using a valid license.

Any ideia what should I do here?

After reaching out to the Katalon team, I was told to purchase a DevOps Runtime Engine License as opposed to a regular Runtime Engine license.

Personally, I am a bit frustrated with the lack of clarity when purchasing the license originally.

1 Like

This DevOps Runtime license was what I needed, plus update the docker container image that I was using, I will share here my pipeline snippet if somebody need it.

docker run -t --rm -v $(pwd):/katalon/katalon/source katalonstudio/katalon:latest katalon-execute.sh -browserType=‘Chrome’ -retry=0 -statusDelay=15 -testSuitePath=‘Test Suites/TS_TestSuite’ -apiKey=‘ADD_YOUR_KEY_HERE’

Hello,

I’m in the same situation as you. I just acquired my Katalon Devops Runtime licenses because I use katalon with CircleCi / Bitbucket, I built a custom image (https://hub.docker.com/r/pcisupport/ci-katalon-new) of katalon .

I run this type of script (replacing the variables of course):

katalonc -runMode = $ {TEST_RUNMODE} -projectPath = $ {TEST_PROJECT_PATH} -executionProfile = $ {EXECUTION_PROFILE} -browserType = “$ {BROWSER_TYPE}” -retry = $ {TEST_RETRY} $ {TESTSUITETYPE = “TESTSUITEYPE” summaryReport -Djava.awt.headless = true -reportFolder = $ {REPORT_PROJECT_PATH} -apiKey = $ {TEST_APIKEY}

It worked fine with version 6.X.X. I don’t understand the Katalon licensing model. What should I take? Runtime Engine or Runtime Devops Engine?

Thank you in advance for your answers.

Hi William,

I have the same issue when I tried to create automation pipeline using GitLab Ci Cd, i have license for Katalon studio and Katalon runtime engine as well, i have offline license.

can you tell me how can you overcome this issue

Thanks in advance.

@taha.helal888,

Please share the details of the issue.

If you have an offline license of Katalon Runtime Engine, it will work with GitLab CI/CD self-hosted environment

@duyluong

Good day,

I have a floating license for KSE and KRE as well, the KRE is in offline mode, I have a separate server which contain the KRE, the issue I am facing that I got error message when I try to run test throw docker images and the same error when I try to run it from GitLab CI CD.

can you tell me how can you overcome this issue

Thanks in advance.

@taha.helal888

Please share your yml file

@duyluong

image: katalonstudio/katalon

services:

• docker:dind

stages:

• test

test_job:

stage: test

script:

- katalon-execute.sh -browserType="Chrome" -retry=0 -statusDelay=15 -testSuitePath="Test Suites/Demo_Suite" -apiKey="---------------------------"

artifacts:

name: "Demo_Reports"

paths:

- report/

@taha.helal888

You will need Katalon Runtime Engine online license to run KRE docker image on GitLab CI/CD

Hello @duyluong,

I added this part o the command and it working fine on docker image on my local machine, But the issue here is when I try to run it from GitLab runner this error appear

INFO: Your environment is compatible with the Katalon Runtime Engine FLOATING license.

174Activating…

175Start activating offline…

176Search for valid offline licenses in folder: /root/.katalon/license

177The number of valid offline licenses: 0

178Start activating online…

179java.lang.NumberFormatException: For input string: “java.net.SocketException: Connection reset”

180 at java.lang.NumberFormatException.forInputString(NumberFormatException.java:65)

181 at java.lang.Integer.parseInt(Integer.java:580)

182 at java.lang.Integer.parseInt(Integer.java:615)

183 at com.kms.katalon.integration.analytics.providers.TestOpsFeatureActivatorImpl.testConnection(TestOpsFeatureActivatorImpl.java:144)

184 at com.kms.katalon.execution.console.ConsoleMain.launch(ConsoleMain.java:326)

185 at com.kms.katalon.console.application.ConsoleApplicationStarter.start(ConsoleApplicationStarter.java:37)

186 at com.kms.katalon.application.Application.runConsole(Application.java:125)

187 at com.kms.katalon.application.Application.start(Application.java:88)

188 at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.app.EclipseAppHandle.run(EclipseAppHandle.java:203)

189 at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.runApplication(EclipseAppLauncher.java:137)

190 at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.start(EclipseAppLauncher.java:107)

191 at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:401)

192 at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:255)

193 at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)

194 at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)

195 at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)

196 at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498)

197 at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.invokeFramework(Main.java:657)

198 at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:594)

199 at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:1447)

200 at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.main(Main.java:1420)

201All launchers terminated

202+ ret_code=2

203++ id -u

204++ id -g

205+ chown -R 0:0 /builds/tawtheeq-portfolio/katalon-testing/dummy/report

206+ chmod -R 777 /builds/tawtheeq-portfolio/katalon-testing/dummy/report

207+ ls /builds/tawtheeq-portfolio/katalon-testing/dummy/report

208+ cd /builds/tawtheeq-portfolio/katalon-testing/dummy

209+ exit 2

The updated command

docker run -t --rm -v “%cd%”:/tmp/project katalonstudio/katalon katalonc.sh -projectPath=/tmp/project -retry=0 -browserType=“Chrome” -testSuitePath=“Test Suites/Order and check out with Global Variable” -apiKey="" -serverUrl=""