Activate Runtime Engine

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://docs.katalon.com/katalon-studio/docs/activate-RE.html

Hello Guys @Katalon_team,
you said:

Create an offline license with a computer ID that can be viewed in the Katalon Studio Activation window. The computer registered with Katalon Server is added to the Registered Machines list.

1. what if i donā€™t have such access to machine that will execute tests? (linux node building machines)
  2. what will be with docker? how to use licenses there?
2 Likes

hi @devalex88,

I am in the same problem

Thanks for your response

1 Like

@Andrej_Podhajsky, @Dino For Docker containers without internet access, you will need to install an offline license server (itā€™s not publicly available for downloading yet). For Docker containers with internet access, please contact business@katalon.com - pricing will be based on the maximum number of concurrent executions.

Thanks @devalex88 but business@katalon.com they do not answer ā€¦

Sorry for that - please PM me the email address and I will remind them.

Hello,

How can I use the RE on a remote jenkins machine?
I couldnā€™t find any information about that.
I have a Jenkins job that runs ok with KS 6.3.3, but doesnā€™t work win 7.x.x.
Thank you.

@devalex88
any code examples on using RE within Docker image??

it looks to me that Katalon started charging people before figuring out how everything will workā€¦
very disappointingā€¦ and to not have a free way to execute tests in command line enviornment is disturbingā€¦ pretty much ā€œKatalon Studio will stay Freeā€ has gone trough the window since if you can create tests and cannot execute them it is pretty much uselessā€¦

Katalon Studio is sticking with frameworks that work and are free (Selenium/Appium/Cucumber) but not allowing execution of these tests for freeā€¦ ā€¦ very very disturbingā€¦

I know people complained but I will do it againā€¦ adding new features and charging for them is OKā€¦ taking features that were free and claimed to be free and start charging for them is equivalent to black mailā€¦

@devalex88 to repeat my questionā€¦ any examples on how to use RE within docker containerā€¦

2 Likes

Hello Rasko

Not sure if this Katalon Studio Docker Image is what you are looking for. But Iā€™ll give it a try anyway.

Jass

Hello there,
ā€˜Currently, free license is not available for Runtime Engine.ā€™ means even within the evaluation period we canā€™t evaluate Katalon Studio Engine ?

Hello @evaie

For evaluation, every Katalon account registered with a business email is eligible for a 30-day trial of Kataton Studio Enterprise and Katalon Runtime Engine.

Jass

@Jass @devalex88 Can we use Katalon Jenkins Plugin with Katalon Runtime engine ?

I tried to use the same with Runtime engine by adding runtime engine path in Use pre-installed Katalon Studio field and it keeps on looking for katalon.exe instead of katalonc.exe

Is there something I need to change. I am sure there should be some way to make this work.

Source code for this job is defined in Source Code Management step :

Hi @manpreet.mukkar,

You should specify absolute path in Use pre-installed Katalon Studio input path as tilde (~) cannot be expanded correctly. Also, please make sure the provided path is the directory containing the katalonc executable (with trailing .exe extension on Windows).

Secondly, you are missing a hyphen (-) before retry=0 in Command arguments input. It should be -retry=0 instead.

Hope this helps!

2 Likes

make sure you are using the latest version of the plugin for jenkins.
if still not working it may be a bug

1 Like

@sonpham I tried the same but I am getting below error.

Using Katalon Studio at /home/manpreet/Katalon_Studio_Engine_Linux_64-7.1.0/katalonc
Making driver executables...
Drivers folder at: /home/manpreet/Katalon_Studio_Engine_Linux_64-7.1.0/katalonc/configuration/resources/drivers
java.nio.file.FileSystemException: /home/manpreet/Katalon_Studio_Engine_Linux_64-7.1.0/katalonc/configuration/resources/drivers: Not a directory
   at sun.nio.fs.UnixException.translateToIOException(UnixException.java:91)
   at sun.nio.fs.UnixException.rethrowAsIOException(UnixException.java:102)
   at sun.nio.fs.UnixException.rethrowAsIOException(UnixException.java:107)
   at sun.nio.fs.UnixFileAttributeViews$Basic.readAttributes(UnixFileAttributeViews.java:55)
   at sun.nio.fs.UnixFileSystemProvider.readAttributes(UnixFileSystemProvider.java:144)
   at sun.nio.fs.LinuxFileSystemProvider.readAttributes(LinuxFileSystemProvider.java:99)
   at java.nio.file.Files.readAttributes(Files.java:1737)
   at java.nio.file.FileTreeWalker.getAttributes(FileTreeWalker.java:219)
   at java.nio.file.FileTreeWalker.visit(FileTreeWalker.java:276)
   at java.nio.file.FileTreeWalker.walk(FileTreeWalker.java:322)
   at java.nio.file.FileTreeIterator.<init>(FileTreeIterator.java:72)
   at java.nio.file.Files.walk(Files.java:3574)
   at java.nio.file.Files.walk(Files.java:3625)
   at com.katalon.utils.KatalonUtils.makeDriversExecutable(KatalonUtils.java:133)
   at com.katalon.utils.KatalonUtils.executeKatalon(KatalonUtils.java:104)
   at com.katalon.jenkins.plugin.ExecuteKatalonStudioUtils$1.call(ExecuteKatalonStudioUtils.java:52)
   at com.katalon.jenkins.plugin.ExecuteKatalonStudioUtils$1.call(ExecuteKatalonStudioUtils.java:34)
   at hudson.remoting.LocalChannel.call(LocalChannel.java:45)
   at com.katalon.jenkins.plugin.ExecuteKatalonStudioUtils.executeKatalon(ExecuteKatalonStudioUtils.java:34)
   at com.katalon.jenkins.plugin.ExecuteKatalonStudioTask.perform(ExecuteKatalonStudioTask.java:97)
   at hudson.tasks.BuildStepMonitor$1.perform(BuildStepMonitor.java:20)
   at hudson.model.AbstractBuild$AbstractBuildExecution.perform(AbstractBuild.java:741)
   at hudson.model.Build$BuildExecution.build(Build.java:206)
   at hudson.model.Build$BuildExecution.doRun(Build.java:163)
   at hudson.model.AbstractBuild$AbstractBuildExecution.run(AbstractBuild.java:504)
   at hudson.model.Run.execute(Run.java:1816)
   at hudson.model.FreeStyleBuild.run(FreeStyleBuild.java:43)
   at hudson.model.ResourceController.execute(ResourceController.java:97)
   at hudson.model.Executor.run(Executor.java:429)

Build step 'Execute Katalon Studio Tests' marked build as failure
Finished: FAILURE

Try removing /katalonc from the pre-installed path.

1 Like

@ThanhTo i think the gui of the plugin need some love ā€¦ the fields descriptions are a bit missleading

it is not obvious where is expecting a root path, location of an an executable or a version (altough the question mark may show some relevant info)

e.g path to preinstaled katalon may be more suggestive instead of use blah blah

1 Like

@ThanhTo So If I remove the /katalonc from the path and only keep the Katalon Runtime engine path it tries to find katalon instead of katalonc

sh: 1: /home/manpreet/Katalon_Studio_Engine_Linux_64-7.1.0/katalon: not found
Build step 'Execute Katalon Studio Tests' marked build as failure
Finished: FAILURE

I think thats how Plugin is build as it was for Studio

I also tried this approach by giving the absolute path without the executable in the preinstalled path and then the command field giving the executable name

@manpreet.mukkar kindly check an post an sshot from jenkins config > plugin section so we can figure out what version do you use and what is available

just for my mind sanity, please

@Ibus Its 1.0.21, This is the latest available version.