Failed to load chrome extension error

Hi how to fix the failed to load extensions error for the chrome driver. I get the below error ( stake trace;.com.kms.katalon.core,exception.StepFailedException:
Unable to open browser with Url:( Root cause org,openqa.selenium.WebDriverException:unknown error: unable to discover open window in chrome
I have the chrome driver also in the Katalon package and I don’t know how to fix this. kindly help

Hi @saikrupa_s

What were you doing when you encountered this error ? Please provide us with more information about steps to reproduce and log file.

Regards !

Hi Thang, I figured out that the error occurs as I no access to a temp folder where the driver is installed and the katalon is facing the error due to loading of the unpacked extensions. Many thanks, I will reach to you when I have any issues further.

But I have one question for you.
How to save the passwords as encrypted when creating the common test cases so that they can be run in multiple environments with different credentials and profiles. So when creating the profiles, how to store the password in katalon as encrypted. can you please help.

Hi Than,
whenever I run the test cases in Katalon using the chrome browser, I get an error modal window telling that
Failed to load extension from:
c:\user\Rsaikru\Appdata\Local\Temp\scoped_dir14324_23319\internal. Loading of unpacked extensions is disabled by the administrator.
when I hit the ok button of the modal, the katalon runs in the chrome browser but the test case failes and I get the below error in the logs.
When I spoke with my IT folks, they say, the above mentioned folder in the error modal, does even exists in the Temp folder. So I don’t know how to fix this issue.

//02-12-2019 09:00:18 AM - [FAILED] - Test Cases/Clients/TIB/TIB_CS/Dashboard_Banks_Leads_Documents/TC_Dashboard_Banks_Leads_Documents_TIB FAILED because (of) (Stack trace: com.kms.katalon.core.exception.StepFailedException: Unable to open browser with url: ‘’ (Root cause: org.openqa.selenium.WebDriverException: unknown error: unable to discover open pages
(Driver info: chromedriver=2.43.600210 (68dcf5eebde37173d4027fa8635e332711d2874a),platform=Windows NT 6.1.7601 SP1 x86_64) (WARNING: The server did not provide any stacktrace information)
Command duration or timeout: 61.16 seconds

image
Build info: version: ‘3.7.1’, revision: ‘8a0099a’, time: ‘2017-11-06T21:07:36.161Z’
System info: host: ‘ASIWS181’, ip: ', os.name: ‘Windows 7’, os.arch: ‘amd64’, os.version: ‘6.1’, java.version: ‘1.8.0_181’
Driver info: driver.version: CChromeDriver)
at com.kms.katalon.core.keyword.internal.KeywordMain.stepFailed(KeywordMain.groovy:36

please help.

Hi @ThanhTo I am also facing the same issue. Please refer the below steps to reproduce the issue,

  1. Click the Chrome Browser icon from the “Run” drop down to execute the script in Chrome browser
  2. while starting the ‘Chrome Driver’ and initiating the ‘User set preference’, the system throws the above error message .

Kindly provide your advise to resolve the issue.

Hi I am geting the same issu.

Is there any news about this problem.

Hi Team, a mutual customer of Katalon/qTest is experiencing the same issue and we have so far been unable to resolve it. Are you able to assist with some suggestions to resolve?

1 Like

This issue can be resolved using the property for chrome “useAutomationExtension” as false.
Select Project -> Settings -> DesiredCapabilities -> WebUI -> Chrome
Click on Add and enter as in below image.

It should start working as expected

Hi thanks Sai, that’s so wonderful to hear this after a long wait from the community. Many thanks.

Hi Sai, I did try as per your suggestion, but I still get the failed to load extension model and only when I hit the ok manually, the test run starts in katalon.

Still having the same issue with remote selenium grid
image

I’m having this same issue but the suggested fix doesn’t work for me either, still get the prompt about Loading of unpacked extensions, is there another suggestion that will help resolve this issue? Thanks for your help in advance.

Here is the solution :
image
image

Unfortunately, I still get the same Error Loading Extension, but my path is C:\Users\userid\AppData\Local\Temp…

Can you explain what exactly it’s complaining about and what exactly is it trying to do when “Loading of unpacked extensions”? Also, is it a bogus message that “… is disabled by administrator”?

Is there anything else I can check or try? Thanks for your patience and all of your help in advance.

Tried this, but still encountered the same error.

Was anyone able to solve this problem? I have tried the Desired Capabilities setting, did not work.

No solutions yet, I’m hoping we can get this on someone’s radar for help - glad to see more people are having this issue, thanks for your post.

I only get this error on my federal computer, I don’t get it on my other computer.

Correct, same place for me where this issue occurs.

Hey Guys, to workaround the error message for “DevToolsActivePort file doesn’t exist” and the error messge for “failed to load extensions”, I’m using the chrome executable at C:Program Files, see the code below, and although the chrome browser launches successfully (but doesn’t go to my url path), I now get the error message “org.openqa.selenium.WebDriverException: Timed out waiting for driver server to start” - Uggghhh!!!

String pathToChromeDriver = ‘C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe’
System.setProperty(‘webdriver.chrome.driver’, pathToChromeDriver)
WebDriver driver = new ChromeDriver()
driver.get(‘my url’)