Can no longer change the values of local variables

Windows 10
Version: 5.9.0

When I try to change the value of a local variable in a test case the change does not appear. I then am unable to save getting the following error.

Steps to reproduce:
* open variables in test case
* try renaming the local variable → observe that variable is not changed
* try saving the test case → observe that you get the error above.

Capture.PNG

Please read this post: http://forum.katalon.com/discussion/9337/tip-my-test-is-broken-nothing-works-please-help-me and provide more details first.

Thanks for your information.

Hi Vinh Nguyen, please look again. I added more details to clarify.

Can you help to provide Katalon Studio logs in this case as well?

There are no logs since the issue is with trying to save changes to a working test case. Since the test case will not save I cannot run the test case,

I just tried a fresh install of katalon and that seems to have fixed the issue for me. This may still be a problem for people who have updated their katalon without a fresh install. Thanks :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for your information. We will double check again from our side regard to update installation.

Regards

hi
i’ve got the same issue
W10
Katalon v5.9.1

unabled to change or create local variable for a test case…

Can you help to provide Katalon Studio logs? You can access logs from Help -> Error Logs item

here the log… i try to delete a local variable in a test case

!ENTRY org.eclipse.e4.ui.workbench 4 0 2018-12-11 08:51:57.036
!MESSAGE
!STACK 0
org.eclipse.core.commands.ExecutionException: While executing the operation, an exception occurred
at org.eclipse.core.commands.operations.DefaultOperationHistory.execute(DefaultOperationHistory.java:496)
at com.kms.katalon.composer.components.operation.OperationExecutor.executeOperation(OperationExecutor.java:44)
at com.kms.katalon.composer.parts.CPart.executeOperation(CPart.java:181)
at com.kms.katalon.composer.parts.CPart.executeOperation(CPart.java:185)
at com.kms.katalon.composer.parts.CPart.executeOperation(CPart.java:189)
at com.kms.katalon.composer.testcase.parts.TestCaseVariablePart.removeVariables(TestCaseVariablePart.java:437)
at com.kms.katalon.composer.testcase.parts.TestCaseVariablePart.access$1(TestCaseVariablePart.java:436)
at com.kms.katalon.composer.testcase.parts.TestCaseVariablePart$2.widgetSelected(TestCaseVariablePart.java:152)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.TypedListener.handleEvent(TypedListener.java:249)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.EventTable.sendEvent(EventTable.java:84)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.sendEvent(Display.java:4418)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Widget.java:1079)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.runDeferredEvents(Display.java:4236)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.readAndDispatch(Display.java:3824)
at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.swt.PartRenderingEngine$4.run(PartRenderingEngine.java:1121)
at org.eclipse.core.databinding.observable.Realm.runWithDefault(Realm.java:336)
at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.swt.PartRenderingEngine.run(PartRenderingEngine.java:1022)
at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.E4Workbench.createAndRunUI(E4Workbench.java:150)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench$5.run(Workbench.java:693)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.createAndRunWorkbench(Workbench.java:610)
at org.eclipse.ui.PlatformUI.createAndRunWorkbench(PlatformUI.java:148)
at com.kms.katalon.core.application.Application.internalRunGUI(Application.java:120)
at com.kms.katalon.core.application.Application.runGUI(Application.java:105)
at com.kms.katalon.core.application.Application.start(Application.java:63)
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.app.EclipseAppHandle.run(EclipseAppHandle.java:196)
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.app.MainApplicationLauncher.run(MainApplicationLauncher.java:32)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.runApplication(EclipseAppLauncher.java:134)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.start(EclipseAppLauncher.java:104)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:388)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:243)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.invokeFramework(Main.java:673)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:610)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:1519)
Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException
at com.kms.katalon.composer.testcase.parts.TestCaseVariablePart.setDirty(TestCaseVariablePart.java:454)
at com.kms.katalon.composer.testcase.ast.variable.operations.DeleteVariableOperation.execute(DeleteVariableOperation.java:79)
at org.eclipse.core.commands.operations.DefaultOperationHistory.execute(DefaultOperationHistory.java:488)
… 37 more

Observed this issue for a second time with the new update

Hello @Zarashima,

The exact same issue is still present for all our team members.
Only we do not get it when trying to rename the local variable but while trying to change its value. If you insist, in 10 times one time the value will get saved.
Please see attached video for exact UI actions: http://take.ms/EUJya

Katalon Version: 6.1.0 Build: 1

Katalon log file details:
!ENTRY org.eclipse.e4.ui.workbench 4 0 2019-04-19 16:38:36.152
!MESSAGE
!STACK 0
org.eclipse.core.commands.ExecutionException: While executing the operation, an exception occurred
at org.eclipse.core.commands.operations.DefaultOperationHistory.execute(DefaultOperationHistory.java:496)
at com.kms.katalon.composer.components.operation.OperationExecutor.executeOperation(OperationExecutor.java:44)
at com.kms.katalon.composer.parts.CPart.executeOperation(CPart.java:181)
at com.kms.katalon.composer.parts.CPart.executeOperation(CPart.java:185)
at com.kms.katalon.composer.parts.CPart.executeOperation(CPart.java:189)
at com.kms.katalon.composer.testcase.support.VariableDefaultValueEditingSupport.setValue(VariableDefaultValueEditingSupport.java:86)
at org.eclipse.jface.viewers.EditingSupport.saveCellEditorValue(EditingSupport.java:113)
at org.eclipse.jface.viewers.ColumnViewerEditor.saveEditorValue(ColumnViewerEditor.java:453)
at org.eclipse.jface.viewers.ColumnViewerEditor.applyEditorValue(ColumnViewerEditor.java:309)
at org.eclipse.jface.viewers.ColumnViewerEditor$1.applyEditorValue(ColumnViewerEditor.java:152)
at org.eclipse.jface.viewers.CellEditor$1.run(CellEditor.java:336)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.SafeRunner.run(SafeRunner.java:42)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.JFaceUtil$1.run(JFaceUtil.java:50)
at org.eclipse.jface.util.SafeRunnable.run(SafeRunnable.java:173)
at org.eclipse.jface.viewers.CellEditor.fireApplyEditorValue(CellEditor.java:333)
at org.eclipse.jface.viewers.CellEditor.focusLost(CellEditor.java:722)
at org.eclipse.jface.viewers.TextCellEditor$4.focusLost(TextCellEditor.java:184)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.TypedListener.handleEvent(TypedListener.java:144)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.sendEvent(Display.java:4418)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Widget.java:1079)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Widget.java:1103)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Widget.java:1084)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Control.sendFocusEvent(Control.java:2934)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.wmKillFocus(Widget.java:1961)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Control.WM_KILLFOCUS(Control.java:5180)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Control.windowProc(Control.java:4833)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Text.windowProc(Text.java:2704)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.windowProc(Display.java:5123)
at org.eclipse.swt.internal.win32.OS.BringWindowToTop(Native Method)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Decorations.bringToTop(Decorations.java:231)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Shell.open(Shell.java:1270)
at org.eclipse.jface.window.Window.open(Window.java:790)
at org.eclipse.jface.dialogs.MessageDialog.open(MessageDialog.java:396)
at org.eclipse.jface.dialogs.MessageDialog.open(MessageDialog.java:424)
at org.eclipse.jface.dialogs.MessageDialog.openError(MessageDialog.java:486)
at com.kms.katalon.composer.testcase.parts.TestCaseCompositePart.save(TestCaseCompositePart.java:629)
at com.kms.katalon.composer.handlers.SaveHandler.execute(SaveHandler.java:47)
at com.kms.katalon.composer.components.impl.handler.AbstractHandler.execute(AbstractHandler.java:49)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.handlers.E4HandlerProxy.execute(E4HandlerProxy.java:90)
at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor222.invoke(Unknown Source)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
at org.eclipse.e4.core.internal.di.MethodRequestor.execute(MethodRequestor.java:55)
at org.eclipse.e4.core.internal.di.InjectorImpl.invokeUsingClass(InjectorImpl.java:282)
at org.eclipse.e4.core.internal.di.InjectorImpl.invoke(InjectorImpl.java:264)
at org.eclipse.e4.core.contexts.ContextInjectionFactory.invoke(ContextInjectionFactory.java:132)
at org.eclipse.e4.core.commands.internal.HandlerServiceHandler.execute(HandlerServiceHandler.java:152)
at org.eclipse.core.commands.Command.executeWithChecks(Command.java:494)
at org.eclipse.core.commands.ParameterizedCommand.executeWithChecks(ParameterizedCommand.java:488)
at org.eclipse.e4.core.commands.internal.HandlerServiceImpl.executeHandler(HandlerServiceImpl.java:210)
at org.eclipse.e4.ui.bindings.keys.KeyBindingDispatcher.executeCommand(KeyBindingDispatcher.java:286)
at org.eclipse.e4.ui.bindings.keys.KeyBindingDispatcher.press(KeyBindingDispatcher.java:507)
at org.eclipse.e4.ui.bindings.keys.KeyBindingDispatcher.processKeyEvent(KeyBindingDispatcher.java:558)
at org.eclipse.e4.ui.bindings.keys.KeyBindingDispatcher.filterKeySequenceBindings(KeyBindingDispatcher.java:378)
at org.eclipse.e4.ui.bindings.keys.KeyBindingDispatcher.access$0(KeyBindingDispatcher.java:324)
at org.eclipse.e4.ui.bindings.keys.KeyBindingDispatcher$KeyDownFilter.handleEvent(KeyBindingDispatcher.java:86)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.filterEvent(Display.java:1270)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Widget.java:1078)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Widget.java:1103)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Widget.java:1088)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendKeyEvent(Widget.java:1130)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Text.sendKeyEvent(Text.java:1789)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendKeyEvent(Widget.java:1126)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.wmChar(Widget.java:1547)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Control.WM_CHAR(Control.java:4918)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Text.WM_CHAR(Text.java:2722)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Control.windowProc(Control.java:4799)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Text.windowProc(Text.java:2704)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.windowProc(Display.java:5110)
at org.eclipse.swt.internal.win32.OS.DispatchMessageW(Native Method)
at org.eclipse.swt.internal.win32.OS.DispatchMessage(OS.java:2552)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.readAndDispatch(Display.java:3822)
at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.swt.PartRenderingEngine$4.run(PartRenderingEngine.java:1121)
at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.swt.PartRenderingEngine.run(PartRenderingEngine.java:1022)
at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.E4Workbench.createAndRunUI(E4Workbench.java:150)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench$5.run(Workbench.java:693)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.createAndRunWorkbench(Workbench.java:610)
at org.eclipse.ui.PlatformUI.createAndRunWorkbench(PlatformUI.java:148)
at com.kms.katalon.core.application.Application.internalRunGUI(Application.java:119)
at com.kms.katalon.core.application.Application.runGUI(Application.java:109)
at com.kms.katalon.core.application.Application.start(Application.java:67)
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.app.EclipseAppHandle.run(EclipseAppHandle.java:196)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.runApplication(EclipseAppLauncher.java:134)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.start(EclipseAppLauncher.java:104)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:388)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:243)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.invokeFramework(Main.java:673)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:610)
at com.kms.katalon.composer.testcase.parts.TestCaseVariablePart.setDirty(TestCaseVariablePart.java:454)
at com.kms.katalon.composer.testcase.ast.variable.operations.ChangeVariableDefaultValueOperation.changeVariableDefaultValue(ChangeVariableDefaultValueOperation.java:50)
at com.kms.katalon.composer.testcase.ast.variable.operations.ChangeVariableDefaultValueOperation.redo(ChangeVariableDefaultValueOperation.java:44)
at com.kms.katalon.composer.testcase.ast.variable.operations.ChangeVariableDefaultValueOperation.execute(ChangeVariableDefaultValueOperation.java:39)
at org.eclipse.core.commands.operations.DefaultOperationHistory.execute(DefaultOperationHistory.java:488)
… 96 more

This is the workaround I use:

1. Save the Test Case
  2. Switch to Variables panel
  3. Make a change
  4. Save

If the Test Case is not saved, I always get the “Unable to save part” message. If I remember to save the TC first, I don’t see it.

2 Likes

I think that the “Unable to save part” problem was fixed in the version 6.1.1.

1 Like

Thank you @kazurayam for the update,
but for me, the issue does not seem to be solved yet.

I have just installed Katalon Studio Version: 6.1.2 Build: 2 and the behavior is exactly the same, the log records the same error I have provided above.

It may have something to do with the fact that I have also imported the settings from the previous Katalon version project…

However, for the moment, the workaround @Russ_Thomas has provided seems to help a lot.

Thank you,
Cornel Neacsu

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.