WebDriverException: unknown error: “Failed to create a Chrome process”

Hi all.

Did anyone encounter this exception:

Test ****** FAILED because (of) (Stack trace: com.kms.katalon.core.exception.StepFailedException: Unable to open browser with url: '' (Root cause: org.openqa.selenium.WebDriverException: unknown error: Failed to create a Chrome process.
  (Driver info: chromedriver=2.43.600210 (68dcf5eebde37173d4027fa8635e332711d2874a),platform=Windows NT 10.0.17134 x86_64) (WARNING: The server did not provide any stacktrace information)
Command duration or timeout: 156 milliseconds
Build info: version: '3.7.1', revision: '8a0099a', time: '2017-11-06T21:07:36.161Z'
System info: host: '*****', ip: '*****', os.name: 'Windows 10', os.arch: 'amd64', os.version: '10.0', java.version: '1.8.0_102'
Driver info: driver.version: CChromeDriver)
 at com.kms.katalon.core.keyword.internal.KeywordMain.stepFailed(KeywordMain.groovy:36)
 at com.kms.katalon.core.webui.keyword.internal.WebUIKeywordMain.stepFailed(WebUIKeywordMain.groovy:65)
 at com.kms.katalon.core.webui.keyword.internal.WebUIKeywordMain.runKeyword(WebUIKeywordMain.groovy:27)
 at com.kms.katalon.core.webui.keyword.builtin.OpenBrowserKeyword.openBrowser(OpenBrowserKeyword.groovy:81)
 at com.kms.katalon.core.webui.keyword.builtin.OpenBrowserKeyword.execute(OpenBrowserKeyword.groovy:67)
 at com.kms.katalon.core.keyword.internal.KeywordExecutor.executeKeywordForPlatform(KeywordExecutor.groovy:53)
 at com.kms.katalon.core.webui.keyword.WebUiBuiltInKeywords.openBrowser(WebUiBuiltInKeywords.groovy:60)
 at com.kms.katalon.core.webui.keyword.WebUiBuiltInKeywords$openBrowser$0.call(Unknown Source)
 at org.codehaus.groovy.runtime.callsite.CallSiteArray.defaultCall(CallSiteArray.java:48)
 at org.codehaus.groovy.runtime.callsite.AbstractCallSite.call(AbstractCallSite.java:113)
 at org.codehaus.groovy.runtime.callsite.AbstractCallSite.call(AbstractCallSite.java:125)
 at metode.medicus.ulogirajSeURL(medicus.groovy:80)
 at metode.medicus$ulogirajSeURL.call(Unknown Source)
 at org.codehaus.groovy.runtime.callsite.CallSiteArray.defaultCall(CallSiteArray.java:48)
 at org.codehaus.groovy.runtime.callsite.AbstractCallSite.call(AbstractCallSite.java:113)
 at org.codehaus.groovy.runtime.callsite.AbstractCallSite.call(AbstractCallSite.java:141)
 at Script1532094337023.run(Script1532094337023.groovy:13)
 at com.kms.katalon.core.main.ScriptEngine.run(ScriptEngine.java:183)
 at com.kms.katalon.core.main.ScriptEngine.runScriptAsRawText(ScriptEngine.java:108)
 at com.kms.katalon.core.main.TestCaseExecutor.runScript(TestCaseExecutor.java:294)
 at com.kms.katalon.core.main.TestCaseExecutor.doExecute(TestCaseExecutor.java:285)
 at com.kms.katalon.core.main.TestCaseExecutor.processExecutionPhase(TestCaseExecutor.java:264)
 at com.kms.katalon.core.main.TestCaseExecutor.accessMainPhase(TestCaseExecutor.java:256)
 at com.kms.katalon.core.main.TestCaseExecutor.execute(TestCaseExecutor.java:200)
 at com.kms.katalon.core.main.TestCaseMain.runTestCase(TestCaseMain.java:99)
 at com.kms.katalon.core.main.TestCaseMain.runTestCase(TestCaseMain.java:90)
 at com.kms.katalon.core.main.TestCaseMain$runTestCase$0.call(Unknown Source)
 at org.codehaus.groovy.runtime.callsite.CallSiteArray.defaultCall(CallSiteArray.java:48)
 at org.codehaus.groovy.runtime.callsite.AbstractCallSite.call(AbstractCallSite.java:113)
 at org.codehaus.groovy.runtime.callsite.AbstractCallSite.call(AbstractCallSite.java:149)
 at TempTestCase1541595007628.run(TempTestCase1541595007628.groovy:22)
 at groovy.lang.GroovyShell.runScriptOrMainOrTestOrRunnable(GroovyShell.java:263)
 at groovy.lang.GroovyShell.run(GroovyShell.java:518)
 at groovy.lang.GroovyShell.run(GroovyShell.java:507)
 at groovy.ui.GroovyMain.processOnce(GroovyMain.java:653)
 at groovy.ui.GroovyMain.run(GroovyMain.java:384)
 at groovy.ui.GroovyMain.process(GroovyMain.java:370)
 at groovy.ui.GroovyMain.processArgs(GroovyMain.java:129)
 at groovy.ui.GroovyMain.main(GroovyMain.java:109)
 at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
 at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)
 at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
 at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498)
 at org.codehaus.groovy.tools.GroovyStarter.rootLoader(GroovyStarter.java:109)
 at org.codehaus.groovy.tools.GroovyStarter.main(GroovyStarter.java:131)
)

https://forum.katalon.com/discussion/10660/webdriverexception-unknown-errors-chrome-failed-to-start-and-failed-to-create-a-chrome-process

I searched all over the internet but no-one seems to know why this is happening.

Any ideas anyone?

hmmmmm do you have a URL in your test case? looks like the string for the url is empty in the error.

Well, I usually do this

WebUI.openBrowser('')
WebUI.navigateToUrl(url)

and it works just fine. It is just this one computer that throws this exception. And I cannot seem to isolate the reason (Chrome version, chromedriver version, Katalon version, OS…).

I tried also with WebUI.openBrowser(url) but the result is the same.

I would start with using Task Manager and ensuring all Chrome processes are killed off.

I would then go to the Chrome Driver folder folder of Katalon which will be "Katalon_Studio_Windows_64-5.7.1\configuration\resources\drivers\chromedriver_win32 and see if the ChromeDriver in that folder is the same as your other computers and also see what happens if you double click on the Chrome Driver file.

Historically I have had to consult this link too:-

I tried that, but the result is the same. I also tried moving Katalon instalation to another folder.

The problem was solved by running Katalon as administrator.

2 Likes