Unable to Capture objects | ExecutionException | java.lang.NullPointerException

Everytime i run the Mobile Recorder with my device, i keep facing this problem. As you can see in the screenshot below, when i click the Start button it’s running and the apk is opening on my device but after that the dialog error box appears.

Any solution for this? I’m new in automation testing, thank you in advance.

Capture.PNG

22222222.PNG

Hi,

1 Like

Ctof said:

Hi,
Appium 1.9.0 - Katalon Studio - Katalon Community
Error in capturing objects - Katalon Studio - Katalon Community

when u rolled it back, did it works?

thanks a lot, it works

i’m facing with this issue. i’m using katalon version 5.10.1 and appium 1.9.1.
how can i solve this problem?

Hi @jsornjun,

Can you try downgrading to Appium 1.8.1, since Katalon Studio 5.10.1 only supports up to that version:

npm install -g appium@1.8.1

Hope this helps,

Chris

2 Likes

thanks, it’s works.

1 Like

Hi,
I have the same issue. i setup appium 1.8.0, katalon 5.10.1 but it don’t work!
Can you helps me!

Posting this in case any one else comes across this issue:

For the best compatibility with Katalon Studio, you’ll need to use Appium server 1.8.1. If you installed Appium Desktop, the version numbering doesn’t line up, so you’ll need Appium Desktop 1.6.3 (which comes with the 1.8.1 server).

You can install Appium server using npm install -g appium@1.8.1 or Appium Desktop by finding an installer at:

hi @Chris_Trevarthen

I tried to record mobile on Katalon studio but it doesn’t work. Error Message:

" Unable to Capture Objects
Reason :
ExecutionException

Details >>
java.lang.NullPointerException "

I’m using katalon studio version 6.1.0 and appium 1.12.1. Is the problem because of their versions?

Can you help me? Thanks in advance.

Hi @sekar.stickearn,

Yes, the versions you listed are incompatible. You can try Appium Server 1.8.1 to work with Katalon Studio 6.1.0.

Alternatively, you can try out the Katalon Studio 6.2.0.rc1 version which has experimental support for Appium 1.12:

Hope this helps,

Chris

Thank you so much @Chris_Trevarthen finally it works. But, when i try to record another application. i face another error. Pict of error message attached bellow.

is that problem came from the application? Thank you.

Hi @sekar.stickearn,

Glad you got past the first problem!

It does appear that there is something wrong with the signing of the apk. I’m not sure exactly the solution, but you could try rebuilding and re-signing the apk.

Here are a couple of things that you or your developers could try:

Hope this helps,

Chris

Hi @Chris_Trevarthen,
I am trying to “record mobile” on Katalon studio but it doesn’t work.
Application is getting launched but I’m immediately seeing the below error.
Error Message:

Reason :
ExecutionException

Details >>

I’m using katalon studio version 6.1.5 and appium 1.8.1. I’m trying to test a hybrid application. Any other reason why it’s not working? and how else to troubleshoot?

Hi @archana.ramalingam,

Usually I’ve seen that sort of error happen when Appium isn’t installed correctly or pointed to the correct location.

Just to make sure you have the right version of Appium, could you try running this command on your command line:

npm install -g appium@1.8.1

Could you verify what you have in your Katalon Studio->Preferences-> Katalon->Mobile->Appium Directory. Here is what mine looks like (I’m on a Mac, so your directory path might be different):

– Chris

Hi Chris,

I tried to record IOS mobile on Katalon studio but it doesn’t work. Error Message:

Reason :
ExecutionException

Details >>

I’m using katalon studio version 6.1.0 and appium 1.8.1. Is the problem because of their versions?

Hi @savita.patil22,

Thanks for the info about the versions of Appium and Katalon Studio. Those versions should be compatible with each other. However, if you’re using Xcode 10, you’ll need to use Appium 1.8.2-beta instead: npm install -g appium@1.8.2-beta.

If you want to upgrade your version of Katalon Studio, version 6.2.1 does support Xcode 10 with Appium 1.12.1: npm install -g appium@1.12.1.

Hope this helps,

Chris

Hi Chris,

I tried what you said, I upgraded my Katalon studio version to 6.2.1 and appium to 1.12.1 and I have the xcode version 10.2.1
The issue what I am facing is it recognizes the real iphone device as unrecognized device (attaching the screenshot ) when I was using katalon studio 5.10.1, it was at least showing my device.

Hi Chris

I too seem to be facing the issue of not able to capture objects when i try and record a new case.

My katalon 6.3.3 and appium version 1.14.2.

Will you please advise?

I too is facing the issue of not able to capture objects when i try.

My katalon 6.1.0 and appium version 12.11.1.

Will you please advise?