Error in capturing objects

Hi all,
I am unable to capture the objects to test the app and the device screen is showing empty and getting **“Failed to execute runnable (org.eclipse.core.runtime.AssertionFailedException: null argument:)”**error is coming.Can anyone suggest how to solve this

CAPTURE ERR.PNG

1 Like

Hello,

Uninstall the Appium using

npm uninstall -g appium

and Install the stable build

npm uninstall -g appium@1.8

It Should work.

3 Likes

Let me know if you still face issue by doing it

2 Likes

Walter Fernandes said:

I’m facing the same issue would you mean is that the default version that install npm now(1.9) isn’t stable?

Walter Fernandes said:

Hello,

npm uninstall -g appium

It Should work.

The second command is install not uninstall… ,…

Its works, you right,

Thanks a Lot!!

1 Like

Walter Fernandes said:

Hello,

npm uninstall -g appium

It Should work.

It works for me thanks

1 Like

jorge said:

Walter Fernandes said:

Hello,

npm uninstall -g appium

It Should work.

The second command is install not uninstall… ,…

Its works, you right,

Thanks a Lot!!

Sorry for that… It should be install, I missed it…

1 Like

Guillermo Torres said:

Walter Fernandes said:

I’m facing the same issue would you mean is that the default version that install npm now(1.9) isn’t stable?

I suggest that the Katalon team update the page: https://www.katalon.com/videos/android-setup-windows/ by changing: “npm install -g appium” by “npm install -g appium@1.8.1” …

3 Likes

hi all,
i have the same issue.
i can’t run appium by using npm, so i’m running manual.
but it don’t work! how can i resolve this problem?

Hi @snowred.3112,

Since you can’t install Appium through npm, the version numbering gets a little weird. If you’re installing it via Appium Desktop, you’ll actually need to install Appium Desktop version 1.6.3, which includes the underlying Appium server 1.8.1.

Hope this helps,

Chris

thank you @Chris_Trevarthen, it works for me :smiley:

1 Like

Hello @Chris_Trevarthen

I have compatible Katalon studio and Appium versions but i am still facing the same issue.
Katalon Studio- 6.1.4
Appium- 1.8.1

Please let me know if you have any solution for this or the versions i am using is incompatible.

Please see the attachments

Thanks,
Ini

Hi @ini,

Thanks for that info - the versions you show should be compatible, but I will test out that combination myself to see what else might be going on.

In the meantime, could you please confirm what your setting is for your Appium directory in Katalon by going to the Katalon Studio->Preferences->Katalon->Mobile screen?

Thanks,

Chris

Hi @ini,

I just tried with Katalon Studio 6.1.4 and Appium 1.8.1 to capture objects and I am able to.

Could you also try the sample Android projects that come with Katalon Studio to see if you’re able to record a test with that? You can get to that project from File->New Sample Project->Sample Android Mobile Tests Project.

– Chris

Hello Chris,

Thanks so much for responding and hoping to get this resolved. Please see the attachment for the appium settings in Katalon.

Thanks,
Ini

I tried the sample project as well. it launches the application like how it does with my apk as well. but it is not able to tap or do any other action on the app. similar thing is happening with the app i am trying to automate. it launches the app but unable to perform any further. Also, is there a Java/jdk or Android SDK installation I need to check the compatibility with? and any environment variable settings? I am using MAC-FYI. Please let me know.

This is the screenshot for sample project on Katalon.

Hello @Chris_Trevarthen

Thanks you so much for the response. I dug more into this issue and I was able to find a work around.

1. I installed appium-desktop and started appium server(other than installing appium server from npm install appium@1.8.1)- not sure if this helped me though but wanted to make sure i have everything set.
  2. But it actually started working when i did this- I removed the appium path from Katalon Studios->Preferences->Mobile. i deleted Appium directory path from there and selected “Apply” and then again put the directory path back by browsing the appium path. not sure what exactly went wrong for the 1st time though! Sometimes deleting the emulator and creating it afresh also helps with everything is what i observed.

With this everything is up and running. Also please note that i have been working with EMULATORS created from ANDROID STUDIOS. Hope this helps someone who would run into issues like this in the future.

Thanks for all the help again!
Ini

2 Likes

Hi @ini glad you got it working! Thanks for sharing how you got it working, too!

—Chris