The results of the katalon report (pdf) are not neat if using too long descriptions

Hello Katalon Team

Sorry to post it here, as I don’t know where to formalize it.
I found a bug in the Katalon reporting, where I added a test case description with a fairly long description (573 characters), and it produced untidy report information as shown in the image below.
I hope the Katalon team can fix it soon

2 Likes

This is not a bug, should be treated as Suggestion and katalon team can work if required :laughing: for the time being, you can brief you description

1 Like

why would you need such a long description, first of all?
imho, should be short and relevant, but this is just me…
nobody will consider it if is TLDR…
but until this is addresed, can be considered as a bug, either Katalon has to limit this field length or to fix the rendering to not overlap the content.
anyway, is a rare use case so the priority perhaps will be very low

1 Like

ok, i understand this. in work requires a long description to embed in Katalon, maybe this time I’ll trick it so as not to add too long description

2 Likes

I have done a technical study trying to find out an alternative way to create the Test Report in PDF.

I have got a certain progress. Please have a look at the following PDF.

Please find that the PDF is neat enough. It renders a very long “Description” nicely just as you would expect. This PDF is free from the defect which the original post reported.

The PDF looks almost the same as the full page screenshot of the report HTML.

I used Chrome headless’s feature --print-to-pdf which is built in the recent versions of Chrome browser.

I hope, Katalon Studio could change so that it uses the Chrome’s --print-to-pdf feature to convert the test report from HTML to PDF. Possibly that is feasible and promissing.

@vu.tran, @Elly_Tran

3 Likes

wow, this is interesting, can you tell me how to use it? because I want to try it

1 Like

No. I am not going to publish my development for general use. It isn’t worth publishing.

In the core part of my study stands the Chrome’s --print-to-pdf feature. We do not need to re-invent a HTML-to-PDF converter. You can read the Google’s document Getting Started with Headless Chrome - Chrome Developers and try it yourself.

Or even easier, you can open the test report HTML file in Chrome GUI, click the “Expand All” button to open collapsed nodes, choose File > Print > Save as PDF, and click “Save”. Then you will get a neat PDF!

3 Likes

Thank you all for great discussion. I will let my team know and investigate its priority. Thank you

3 Likes

I remember that I posted the following discussion years ago:

In this post, I explained how a TestListener’s @AfterTestSuite-annotated method can process the execution0.log file and generate a Katalon Execution Report in HTML format.

On the other hand, I have learned that it is possible to convert a Katalon Execution report HTML into PDF using Chrome’s “Save as PDF” feature.

With these 2 techiniques combined, I am sure a TestListener’s @AfterTestSuite-annotated method will be able to print a report of neat format in PDF. The processing could be encapsulated in a single Groovy class which could be distributed as a jar file and will be highly reusable in any Katalon Studio WebUI projects.

1 Like