TestObject Usage Report

I have created a GitHub project and published it:

Background

Most of the built-in WebUI Keywords of Katalon Studio requires a parameter of type com.kms.katalon.core.testobject.TestObject , for example:

As a Katalon project grows, the number of Test Objects increases. Especially when you use Record Web Utility, it generates a lot of Test Objects automatically. In the end you will find hundreds or thousands of entries in the Object Repository folder. Here arises a problem. A significant portion of the entries in the Object Repository will be occupied by unused garbages. A user shared his case in this post.

Katalon Studio v7 introduced a tool: Test Objects Refactoring to help users who want to keep their projects tidy. We can find unused entries in the “Object Repository” by Tools > Test Object > Show unused Test Objects .

Problem to solve

As the document describes, the tool has a shortage:

A reference of Test Object is defined as invocations of findTestObject(“test object ID”). If you create a new Test Object programmatically and don’t use them with findTestObject, these Test Objects will be counted as “unused”.

Let me elaborate this description. The tool can recognize the following code in a Test Case script as “used”:

// Style A
TestObject tObj = findTestObject('Object Repository/Page_CURA Healthcare Service/a_Make Appointment')

But, as this post pointed out, the tool can’t recognize the following code as “used”:

// Style B
def id = 'Object Repository/Page_CURA Healthcare Service/a_Make Appointment'
TestObject tObj = findTestObject(id)

Also the tool can’t recognize the following case as “used”:

// Style C
class TestObjectFactory {   // my custom Keyword
    static TestObject byXPath(String id, String xpath) {
        TestObject o = new TestObject(id)
        o.addProperty("xpath", ConditionType.EQUALS, xpath)
        return o
    }
}
def tObj = TestObjectFactory.byXPath("a_Make Appointment", '//a[@id='btn-make-appointment']')

I usually take the Style C because I prefer writing locators (XPath, CSS Selectors) manually in the code; I do not need the Record Web Utility to write correct locators. But the Test Objects Refactoring tool does not support the Style C. So the tool is not useful for me. This post mentioned that the tool is designed for the common users. I would accept that. I agree that the Style C is not common.

OK, I would develop a solution myself.

Solution

I have developed a plug-in named kazurayam-ks-testobject-usage-report . You can use it in a Test Listener . When you execute a Test Suite, the plug-in monitors invocations of findTestObject(...) and new TestObject(...) by the Test Cases in the Test Suite. The plug-in can recognize all of the Style A, B and C.

When the Test Suite finishes, the plug-in compiles some text files in Markdown format where you can find information which Test Objects were refered to by which Test Cases. The report includes the reference count of each Test Objects. It shows you a list of unused Test Objects.

Description

Sample report

A sample report is available:

(1) Unused Test Object report

This report list the Test Case with reference count of 0.

# Test Object ID in Repos? reference count
12 Page_CURA Healthcare Service/td_20 true 0

(2) Reference Count report

This report list all of Test Objects prepared in the Object Repository (in Repos? is true ) and the Test Objects dynamically instanciated by "new TestObject(id)" (in Repos? is false ). The report shows the number of Test Cases that refer to each Test Object.

Test Objects with 0 reference count (“unused”) will be included in this list.

# Test Object ID in Repos? reference count
2 Page_CURA Healthcare Service/a_Go to Homepage true 2
12 Page_CURA Healthcare Service/td_20 true 0
14 Visit Date false 1

(3) Reverse Lookup Detail report

The report shows a list of all used Test Objects, associated with list of Test Cases that refered each Test Objects. It is sorted by Test Object IDs.

The unused Test Objects will not appear here.

# Test Object ID in Repos? used by Test Case
1 (.//*[normalize-space(text()) and normalize-space(.)='Sa'])[1]/following::td[20] false Test Cases/main/TC_CURA
2 Page_CURA Healthcare Service/a_Go to Homepage true Test Cases/main/TC_CURA
2 Page_CURA Healthcare Service/a_Go to Homepage true Test Cases/main/TC_CURA - more

(4) Forward Lookup Detail report

This report shows a list of (from Test Case -> to Test Object) associations sorted by the Test Case IDs.

The unused Test Objects will not appear here.

# Test Case refers Test Object in Repos?
1 Test Cases/main/TC_CURA (.//*[normalize-space(text()) and normalize-space(.)='Sa'])[1]/following::td[20] false
1 Test Cases/main/TC_CURA Page_CURA Healthcare Service/a_Go to Homepage true
1 Test Cases/main/TC_CURA Page_CURA Healthcare Service/a_Make Appointment true
1 Test Cases/main/TC_CURA Page_CURA Healthcare Service/button_Book Appointment true

CAUTION

You need to be careful in reading the reports.

The plug-in does not literally scan the source codes of Test Case. Rather, the plug-in monitors the runtime behavior of Test Case-A,B,C which are bundled in a specific Test Suite you executed. So the report can only be correct about the Test Case-A,B,C. If you have other Test Cases-X,Y,Z that are not bundled in the Test Suite, the report can’t count the references to Test Objects by Test Case-X,Y,Z.

Therefore I would recommend you to create a special Test Suite for compiling “Test Object Usage Report”. It’s name can be any; e.g, TS_runAllTestCases . This Test Suite should bundle all of Test Cases so that the plug-in can compile reports as comprehensive as possible.

WARNING

Test Case failures make a report unreliable

“Test Object Usage Report” will be unreliable when one or more Test Cases failed and stopped. The statements after a failure will be skipped. The plug-in will become ignorant of the skipped statements; then the report becomes unreliable. You should fix all failures in Test Cases first.

I am sure you would look at the failures first, as garbages in the Object Repository is low profile.

“if … then … else” statement makes a report unreliable

The following Test Case is too difficult for the plug-in:

TestObject tObj
if (conditon) {
    tObj = new TestObject("foo")
} else {
    tObj = new TestObject("bar")
}

When this code rans, sometimes the “foo” TestObject will be seen used and the “bar” unused. At other times the “foo” will be seen unused and the “bar” used. It depends on the “condition”. The plug-in can’t count that both of “foo” and “bar” are used .

The following code shows a possible workaround for this difficulty:

TestObject foo = new TestObject("foo")
TestObject bar = new TestObject("bar)
if (conditon) {
    // use foo
} else {
    // use bar
}

How to install the plug-in into your Katalon Studio

Here I assume you have already created a Katalon Studio project with running Test Cases and a Test Suite.

1. download kazurayam-ks-testobject-usage-report-x.x.x.jar from the Releases page.
  2. place the jar in the <projectDir>/Plugins folder
  3. stop and restart Katalon Studio

How to let your project to compile a report

(1) create a Test Listener

You need to create a Test Listener in your project. The name can be any. Please copy and paste the following code:

No code change is required. It will run in any project.

(2) run a Test Suite, then you will get a reports

Just choose a Test Suite and execute it.

Once the Test Suite finished, you will find a new folder <projectDir>/build/reports is created and find 2 text files generated:

How the plug-in is designed

Do you want to know the internal of the plug-in? OK, let me tell you a bit about it.

(1) Test Listener interfaces tests with plug-in

The Test Listeners/AssociatorDriver delegates the magical processing to an instance of com.kazurayam.ks.testobject.Associator .

import com.kazurayam.ks.testobject.Associator

class AssociatorDriver {
    private Associator associator
    AssociatorDriver() {
        associator = new Associator()
    }

@BeforeTestSuite
    def beforeTestSuite(TestSuiteContext testSuiteContext) {
        associator.beforeTestSuite(testSuiteContext)
    }

@BeforeTestCase
    def beforeTestCase(TestCaseContext testCaseContext) {
        associator.beforeTestCase(testCaseContext)
    }

The Associator instance dynamically modifies the implementation of following 2 Katalon classes:

Magic spell modifyKatalonClasses() looks like this:

package com.kazurayam.ks.testobject
public class Associator {
    Boolean modifyKatalonClasses() {
        AssociationTracer tracer = AssociationTracer.getInstance()
        ObjectRepository.metaClass.'static'.invokeMethod = { String methodName, args ->
            if (methodName == "findTestObject") {
                tracer.trace(GlobalVariable[GLOBALVARIABLE_CURRENT_TESTCASE_ID], testObjectId)
            }
            return delegate.metaClass.getMetaMethod(methodName, args).invoke(delegate, args)
        }

TestObject.metaClass.constructor = { String testObjectId ->
            tracer.trace(GlobalVariable[GLOBALVARIABLE_CURRENT_TESTCASE_ID],
                    testObjectId.replaceAll("Object Repository/", ''))
            def constructor = TestObject.class.getConstructor(String.class)
            return constructor.newInstance(testObjectId)
        }
        return true
    }

I employed Groovy’s Metaprogramming technique here.

Let me dictate this code:

• When a test case invokes ObjectRepository.findTestObject(id) method, then the modified version of findTestObject method notifies the AssociationTracer instance of (TestCaseId, TestObjectId) association.
  • The AssociationTracer records everything notified.
  • An invokation of new TestObject(id) method will do the same: notifies the AssociationTracer of the (TestCaseId, TestObjectId) association.
  • Eventually the AssocationTracer instance will know all of the (TestCaseId, TestObjectId) associations that appeared during a Test Suite run.

The Test Listeners/AssociatorDriver can get access to the information recorded by AssociationTracer via the accociator variable for compiling reports finally.

(2) how the reports are compiled

@AfterTestSuite -annotated method of the Test Listeners/AssociatorDriver calls TestObjectUsageReporter object to compile reports. An instance of fully-charged Associator and the Path information to save files into will be passed as parameters.

@AfterTestSuite
    def afterTestSuite(TestSuiteContext testSuiteContext) {
        Reporter summary = new TestObjectUsageReporter.Builder(associator, testSuiteContext)
                            // .composition(["UNUSED", "COUNT"])
                            .outputDir(outputDir)
                            .outputFilename('testobject_usage_summary.md')
                            .build()
        summary.write()

Reporter full = new TestObjectUsageReporter.Builder(associator, testSuiteContext)
                            .composition(["UNUSED", "COUNT", "REVERSE", "FORWARD"])
                            .outputDir(outputDir)
                            .outputFilename('testobject_usage_full.md')
                            .build()
        full.write()

WebUI.comment("TestObject Usage Report was written into ${outputDir.toAbsolutePath()}")
    }

An output file from the TestObjectUsageReporter can be composed of 4 types of reports: “UNUSUED”, “COUNT”, “REVERSE” and “FORWARD”. The method call is optional; will default to .composition(["UNUSED", "COUNT"]) .

By compositon(List[String]) method of com.kazurayam.ks.testobject.TestObjectUsageReporter.Buidler class, you can specify which type to print, how these should be ordered. For example, .composition(["COUNT","REVERSE") and .composition(["REVERSE","COUNT") will compile the same set of component reports but in opposit order.

Beware that the “REVERSE” and “FORWARD” report could be very long if you have many Test Cases + Test Objects.

By outputDir(Path) method, you can optionally specify the directory to save the output files. outputDir(Path) is optional; will default to "./build/reports" .

By outputFilename(String) method, you can specify the name of the output file. It is optional; will default to "testobject_usage_report.md" .

The sample Test Listeners/AssociatorDriver generates 2 files. You can change the code to emit as many files as you want.

(3) custom reports?

com.kazurayam.ks.testobject.TestObjectUsageReporter class generates output in Markdown format. You can develop your custom reporter and use it in the Test Listener. Please read the soure of TestObjectUsageReporter as an example.

Conclusion

I have developed this plug-in for my own sake. I hope it could be useful for other Katalon users.

2 Likes