Technical Issue with 'Smart Wait' Algorithm in Katalon Studio 8.0

Hello Katalon Community,

I’m currently working with Katalon Studio version 8.0 and have been experimenting with the ‘Smart Wait’ feature in my test automation project. However, I’ve encountered a technical challenge that I’m struggling to resolve.

Specifically, the ‘Smart Wait’ algorithm, which is designed to optimize the execution order of test cases, doesn’t seem to be performing as expected in my project. Despite its intended functionality to prioritize test cases intelligently, it’s not delivering the desired results.

Here are some technical details:

• Katalon Studio Version: 8.0
  • Observation: Test cases are not executing in the expected order, leading to inefficiencies in my test runs.
  • Error Messages: I haven’t encountered any error messages, but it seems like the ‘Smart Wait’ logic might not be properly considering dependencies or not that much smart.

I would greatly appreciate any technical advice or recommendations from the community regarding this matter. Has anyone encountered similar technical challenges with ‘Smart Wait’ in Katalon Studio 8.0, and if so, how did you address them?

Thank you for your technical expertise and assistance.

1 Like

not sure from where you get this information but may be totally wrong.
can you provide the source?
from my understanding up to now, the smart wait feature waits until no more DOM changes are detected prior to move to the next step in a certain tescase.
it is just another wait.
how did you concluded it will re-arange or prioritize all testcases execution order?

I don’t see what you mean.

Let me assume, I have 3 Test Cases: A, B, C. Do you expect the Smart Wait algorithm to execute them in various order? like

• A, B, C
  • B, C, A
  • C, A, B
  • B, A, C
  • A, C, B

The Smart Wait never does such thing.

So, I am afraid, I don’t understand your question yet.

+1, Yes, I agree that the Smart Wait is just another wait which is AJAX-aware.

16 days ago, I tried to implement another generic wait while trying to mimic the Smart Wait. See the following link to find what I did:

My code never does something that “optimize the execution order of test cases”.

1 Like

If you want to read the source code of the “Smart Wait” implementation, look at the following post:

Go to <katalon-install>\configuration\resources\extensions\Chrome\Smart Wait\content\wait.js
The code you have is the injection to invoke the wait object from Groovy.

1 Like

@eeshasheikh ,

Specifically, the ‘Smart Wait’ algorithm, which is designed to optimize the execution order of test cases, doesn’t seem to be performing as expected in my project.

I think the current design of Smart Wait is not what you expect: https://docs.katalon.com/docs/create-tests/record-and-spy/webui-record-and-spy-utilities/smart-wait-function#description

The Smart Wait function tackles the timing issue of automated web testing by automatically waiting for all front-end processes of a page to complete before taking further test steps.

1 Like