Shower thoughts Monday 🚿

The subreddit r/showerthoughts defines “Shower Thoughts” as the types of thoughts that we might have carrying out a routine like showering, driving, cleaning, or daydreaming. And that at their best, shower thoughts are universally relatable and find the amusing/interesting within the mundane of everyday life.

Share with us some interesting thoughts or epiphanies that you have had recently below :point_down:

1 Like

I will start first.

Recently I started vaping, and the thoughts of vapors that are produced when you exhale came to mind.

Essentially, vapors are liquid but in gas state, soooo, what happen if we condense the vapors produced? Would we get the vapors to return to its original state as a salt nicotine liquid?

And would that mean that we could get an infinite supply of salt nicotine like those perpeptual motion machines? :exploding_head:

Now, I am not a chemistry nor vaping experts so feel free to weigh in with your thoughts below :point_down:

Also tagging in another vaper @Russ_Thomas to get his opinion :eyes:

Technically, this is wrong.
Quoting from whatever resource:

Vapour is simply defined as the phase of a gas (seriously wiki?) at a temperature where the same substance can exist in both liquid and solid states

From there (not from wiki, but from that observation about the states), the boiling point was defined for various substances, which is a very usefull information for cooking (see some previous discussions regarding cooking at different altitudes)

Nope.

During the boiling process, some substances like nicotine and whatever else will transform a bit.
Volatile substances will go with the vaps (essential oils), so provided you re-capture them you may retrieve them by condensation but you may have to do it in stages (since the vaps will contain also a certain amount of water in this intermediate state and, if not obvious, esential oils have also different condensation points compared with water. because boiling point)
However, “salt” definnetly not, as solid substances will remain ar residual stuff in the recipient.
Think about how you made distilled water: you will boil, the salt remains in the recipient, you condensate the water again and get purified liquid.
It’s physics basic, not chemistry …

If you boil them for fun, maybe for a while … but with the time some will just deprecate due to the temperature, splitting into more basic elements.
If you consume them, the esential oils will be absorbed by your lungs, which acts like a filter.
You get the shit into your body, and release almost primary elements back to the nature (CO2 mostly)

You don’t have to.
In the end, chemistry is just advanced physics.
It starts with elementals:

1 Like

Thank you for such a thorough lesson in physics :bowing_man: (though I am sure I could only understood half of what you said). And here my cheap a*s thought I could have saved some money by reusing the same vaping juice over and over :rofl:

hold on, that was just the introduction.
i still have some doubts that vap devices actually produce vapors.
have a strong feeling it is more like a fog.
more on that into the next chapter, have to do some research…
LE: mhm, may be actually mist, not fog. still reading stuff.

While this comment may seems like it belongs in the All things electronics thread, after second thought, I decided to post it here since it also raise some questions…

So, Samsung recently introduced the S24 series of phones, and one of the things (if not the only thing) that they repeated touted about was their suite of Galaxy AI features (which utilize Google’s Gemini LLM under the hood to power them).

And while at first I was excited, I was quickly disappointed when people on Reddit spotted out that these features will only be free until 2025. After which… who knows? Maybe they will start charging their users monthly to use these features :person_shrugging:

This situation is a bit similar to an article from 2022, in which The Verge reported that Apple was considering selling their phones based on a subscription model …

The move to a subscription-based model can be beneficial in some ways i.e. you only have to pay a small amount of money each month, and that if a new generation of phone came out and the prices stay the same, then it would be quite a bargain (at first). The problem arise when, say, you decide to keep the current phone for 2+ years, then the monthly subscription fee could add up quite a lot and even be more than paying for the phone upfront (that is not including all the other subscription fees i.e. Netflix, Spotify, etc.).

And it also raise the question: do you even own the product that you pay for anymore? (since if you stop the subscription, you would have to return the device to the manufacturer).

What do you think about this imminent shift in the industry? :thinking: