[Request] Add support for breakpoints pause/continue and comments in test cases

Another request!

What i used a lot in Selenium IDE was to be able to set breakpoints and pause/continue test cases without the need to start them from the beginning and add comments in test cases with some explanations when needed.

5 Likes

Patrick Groot said:

Another request!

What i used a lot in Selenium IDE was to be able to set breakpoints and pause/continue test cases without the need to start them from the beginning and add comments in test cases with some explanations when needed.

Hi Patrick,

Thanks for the suggestion. We really appreciate that you took the time to share your experiences and ideas. I have also put this ticket in for discussion.

In the meantime, I’d suggest using Katalon Studio as an alternative solution for your needs.

If you have any further input, feel free to post in the forum.

Best,
Liam

Thanks Liam,

Most of the features are now in Katalon Automation Recorder! Awesome!

Added a screenshot:

Comment functionality:

The lines get offcourse skipped/ignored while running the test cases/suites.

KAT IDE.jpg

What about your question regarding the ability to restart a test case, that has stopped due to an error, from the stop point, rather than having to run the entire test case again? Is that currently offered in Katalon Recorder and/or will it be?

@Jeff Sharp said:
What about your question regarding the ability to restart a test case, that has stopped due to an error, from the stop point, rather than having to run the entire test case again? Is that currently offered in Katalon Recorder and/or will it be?

There are breakpoint now yes and you can run a single test case.

Patrick Groot said:

Thanks Liam,

Added a screenshot:

Comment functionality:

You mean this right? @sudha

Patrick Groot said:

Patrick Groot said:

Thanks Liam,

Added a screenshot:

Comment functionality:

hi, I am glad to see your screen shot showing comments in green. This is what i am looking for.
But how to insert a comment i could not find that option in my katalon recroder 3.2.2 extension of firefox .Can you guide me .

Also if comments are available is that only for new test cases. How about already existing comments in my old selenium IDE test cases? If those can be visible after loading in katalon that would be wonderful.

1 Like

sudha said:

Patrick Groot said:

Patrick Groot said:

Thanks Liam,

Added a screenshot:

Comment functionality:

hi, I am glad to see your screen shot showing comments in green. This is what i am looking for.
But how to insert a comment i could not find that option in my katalon recroder 3.2.2 extension of firefox .Can you guide me .

Also if comments are available is that only for new test cases. How about already existing comments in my old selenium IDE test cases? If those can be visible after loading in katalon that would be wonderful.

It’s not supported at the moment i did a request for it to be included in KAR because we also use this feature a lot in the old Selenium IDE true all our test cases as a guide/description.

I know this is not a perfect solution but since 3.4.11 you can use “# | text |” to comment.

1 Like

Just for clarification of Alex’s comment above:

This works for me. Double forward-slash does not currently work.

Capture_070618a.PNG

Patrick Groot said:

@Jeff Sharp said:

There are breakpoint now yes and you can run a single test case.

I am working with variables and Katalon Recorder does delete all variables when I start a single test case after an error (which makes test development much more difficult for me). Any way to fix this?

Didnt work

// is not supported as you can see in the thread!

You need to use the following:

# | Your comment |

Patrick

it works, thanks