Real iPhone doesn't show up in local devices list

Hi,

I followed the steps here and tried to test the setup but the last line was not Listening on USB, it ended as following:

Test Suite ‘All tests’ started at 2017-12-12 15:14:36.698
Test Suite ‘WebDriverAgentRunner.xctest’ started at 2017-12-12 15:14:36.700
Test Suite ‘UITestingUITests’ started at 2017-12-12 15:14:36.701
Test Case ‘-[UITestingUITests testRunner]’ started.
t = 0.00s Start Test at 2017-12-12 15:14:36.702
t = 0.00s Set Up
2017-12-12 15:14:36.712202+0100 WebDriverAgentRunner-Runner[327:25088] Built at Dec 12 2017 15:02:03
2017-12-12 15:14:36.738767+0100 WebDriverAgentRunner-Runner[327:25088] ServerURLHere->http://someip:0<-ServerURLHere

Guessing this is the reason why my real device doesn’t show up in the local devices list, I can only see the Xcode emulators in the drop-down.

Developer mode is enabled and UIAutomation is ON.

iPhone trusts the Mac.

Device Management trusts my dev account and WebDriverAgentRunner-Runner app has status ‘Verified’.

Also tried both USB ports on my Mac.

Using:

Appium 1.7.0

iPhone 6S Plus with iOS 11.2

Mac OS High Sierra 10.13.2

Katalon Studio 5.2.0

Latest carthage and node/npm.

Best Regards,

Vivian

Hi Vivian,

Can you tell me how long does it hang?

Sure,

I had it running again today, just in case and it’s been like that for 2 hours now. Exact behaviour as described above.

Cheers,
Vivian

Is this log: “http://someip:0<-ServerURLHere” a real one from yours?

Yes, I just replaced the IP as I didn’t want to put it on a forum. The port is correct.

Ok,

Update time:

I tried a different phone, since I cannot downgrade from iOS 11 anymore on the previous device.
Got an iPhone 5s running iOS 10.3.1. - went for this version since I noticed this is what the Kobiton devices were running.
Adjusted webDriver build settings to this iOS version, clean, build.
Trusted both ways, ran the test with the same outcome, not listening on USB. Last line is again the server url, which is confirmed as the iPhone’s ip.
Katalon picked it up as a local device.

Since I don’t want to update this phone too just to prove a theory, my best guess is that Katalon needs some work on iOS 11.x support and fast, since any iOS version older than 11 is not getting signed by Apple anymore.

Thanks,
Vivian

Hi

I am also facing the similar issue on Mac. Issue is that my real devices is not displayed in the device list.

iOS version : 11.1.2
X Code version : 9.1
Appium version : 1.7.1

On earlier versions it was working fine. Please look into this on the priority basis.

Hi Sahil,

Is your issue the same with Vivian? Or is there any other misconfigurations or error from your setup?

When you say on earlier versions, you mean Katalon Studio or your iOS/Xcode/Appium version?

Regards

By the way, I will try again with iOS11 and see if there is anything wrong with it.
Regards

Hi Vinh,

I am also facing the similar issue on Mac. Issue is that my real devices is not displayed in the device list.

iOS version : 11 +
X Code version : 9 +
Appium version : 1.7.1
Katalon Version : 5 and above

When earlier I executed the test cases 20 days back then device is displayed on the list. Below are the tools version I was using:
iOS version : 10 + but less than 11
X Code version : 8 + but less than 9
Appium version : 1.6
Katalon Version : 4.7, 4.8

Please look into this on the priority basis.

Hi Sahil,

Thanks for your information. Actually, I’m looking at this issue too and likely the root cause of it is not from Katalon Studio, but also relates to iOS and Appium version.

Regards

Have any of you found a fix for this? I recently updated an iPad mini to iOS 11.1.2 and am having troubles with Katalon recognizing the device.

Hi Joanna,

Not yet, we are still investigating on it. Hopefully it will be fixed soon or need some more adjustments in our setup to adapt this, so please wait for it :slight_smile:

Hi all,

We’ve investigated and will apply a support for iOS 11 in the next release. Looks like the current mobile core of Katalon Studio does not handle iOS 11 fully, so that’s why you can’t see iOS 11 devices listed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Regards

Hi Vinh,

I am facing this same issue using an ipad air 2 with iOS 11+. Can you give us any insights as in which version of Katalon studio are we planning to fix this iOS 11 handling ?

Pranshu said:

Hi Vinh,

I am facing this same issue using an ipad air 2 with iOS 11+. Can you give us any insights as in which version of Katalon studio are we planning to fix this iOS 11 handling ?

Hi Pranshu,

The next version of Katalon Studio (5.3) will address this issue. It is planned to deliver in one or two weeks later.

Hi Alex,

Still facing the same problem with :

* Katalon studio 5.3
* Appium 1.7.2
* Real device under iOS 11.2.2 (and even iOS 10.3.*)
* Xcode 9.2

My devices are not recognized, it’s a major issue for us.
Can u please have a look ?

Regards,

Giuliano

same problem here and in simulator issue with webDriverAgent build

I am having this exact issue as well with Real devices running both above and below IOS 11. Devices are found and tests can be run in XCODE without issue on the real devices. However, only simulators are appearing in Katalon…not the real devices.

One of the first things you can do is see if the device is recognized by command line tools outside of Xcode:

idevice_id -l

If that does show your device, then it could be that you don’t have permissions to run some of the other command line tools that Katalon (and Appium behind the scenes) require. You can reinstall those tools with:

brew uninstall ideviceinstallerbrew uninstall libimobiledevice
brew install --HEAD libimobiledevice
brew link --overwrite libimobiledevice
brew install --HEAD  ideviceinstaller
brew link --overwrite ideviceinstaller
sudo chmod -R 777 /var/db/lockdown/

Hope this helps,

Chris

1 Like