Question about the time it takes to complete a script with a `for` loop

Hello community!!!

For example, I have this part of code below, which find some <a> elements where they are nested into a <ul> element of a page and then stores their href tags and their sum into those global variables:

WebDriver driver = DriverFactory.getWebDriver()

List<String> hrefs = []
List<WebElement> aTags = driver.findElements(By.xpath('//ul[5]/li/div/div[@class="heading-4"]/a'))

for (aTag in aTags) {
	String href = aTag.getAttribute("href")
	if (href != null) {
		hrefs.add(href);
	} else {
		hrefs.add('https://');
	}
}

GlobalVariable.urls = hrefs
GlobalVariable.urlsCount = hrefs.size()

def message_result = JOptionPane.showOptionDialog(null, hrefs.size() + " URLs found.", "Message", JOptionPane.OK_OPTION, JOptionPane.PLAIN_MESSAGE)

My problem is the time that this script takes to finish. And I want to know, is it normal this for loop to take 40 seconds for 144 elements, or is something wrong with my code?

And the strange thing is that I get the optionDialog with the result very soon, but the Log Viewer keep working and the Job Progress says < Running > until the Log Viewer ends. For example it takes 4 seconds to give me the optionDialog with the result and close to 35 seconds for Log Viewer to finish and the Job Progress to say < Passed >.

So, is this normal? Is there any problem with my code? Can I do something to make it faster?

Thank you in advance!!!

Are you using “Tree” mode in the log viewer?

The following thread might help - I’ve picked out the most salient points:

2 Likes

I switched “Log Viewer” from “Tree View” to “Table View”, I left enabled only “Failed”, “Error” and “Warning” messages and now… It is “flying”!!! :open_mouth:

Thank you very much for the answer and your time!!! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Good news.

Shout out: @duyluong @devalex88

@kazurayam We should pressure the devs to include this tip prominently in the docs somewhere. When a user runs some otherwise innocuous code, the affect on performance (as you noticed) can be quite dramatic.

2 Likes

I want Katalon Studio Free license to keep allowing users to switch the “Log Viewer” from “Tree View” to “Log View”. And in the “Log View”, I want Katalon Studio free license to keep allowing us to turn the “All button” off.

@Jass

Please, at the very minimum, do not change these options to be the Enterprise features in the future versions.

2 Likes

@Jass

Katalon Studio should be changed so that

1. Log Viewer should default to show “Log View” rather than “Tree View” after a project is created.

2. In the “Log View”, the “All” be should default to OFF after a project is created.

2 Likes

Hi @kazurayam and @Russ_Thomas

Thank you for letting me know. Our team is considering your suggestions.

Jass