Toggle LogViewer scroll-locked! Your tests will be boosted

@Russ_Thomas

I know you are a wise man!

But I am afraid, most of Katalon users (including me) are not.

Recently I upgraded to Katalon Studio v8.2.0. Soon after updating, I checked how the Log Viewer is configured.

Log Viewer shows Tree View as default

The Log Viewer is configured to show the Tree View, rather than the Table View, as default. So, I guess, most of Katalon Users will leave it as it is. They may not be aware of the Table View at all.

Table View is configured to show All as default

I checked how the Table View is configured as default.

As you see, the Table View is configured to show All messages as default. I am sure, most of the Katalon users have the same setting.

Of course you can deselect All, and select Warning, Failed and Error. But you would change the settings only if you are aware of the implication to the tests performance. Most of the Katalon users are not.

“loading logs (XX%)” takes long time

I tried switching from the Table View to the Tree View. Something ridiculous I saw. When I toggled the button, LogViewer started “loading logs”. It took 62 seconds! I wanted to stop it, but I could not.

I believe that the LogViewer was reading a execution0.log file located in the Reports folder. In my case, the file had the size of 3.12 megabytes. The files was this big because I executed a long running test. I got irritated waiting for this loading to finish.

I suppose that the Katalon developers wanted to present the LogViewer as its full features. It resulted running tests slowly due to the processing overhead. How unfortunate!

I would do just the same as @Russ_Thomas does from now on.