Nice to have :: Utility to clean Object Repository

I am working on more than 20 websites (desktop and mobile) and it’s an everyday struggle to organise objects and keep them up to date. It would be great to have an utility to retrieve an emphasize objects that are not used in test cases and / or have triggered a lot of errors (test failure). It would help have a clear version of what is useful and up to date, and what’s not.

11 Likes

I would like to see this as well. I have a large Object Repository and it would be nice to have a feature to clean up the object repository. Perhaps a form that shows all unused objects with checkboxes so we can pick which ones we want deleted. We may not want to delete all unused ones as they may be used in the future. Would be nice to also be able to display any exact duplicate objects that could be in different folders for example.

4 Likes

Hey ! I want this feature too !!! :slight_smile:

Hi all,

Sorry for the late response. I have logged this suggestion for team discussion. Thanks all for the request for this feature.

In the next release, Katalon team will implement checking duplicate objects in the Repository. So stay tuned!

Thanks again for using Katalon Studio,
Liam

4 Likes

Hey Liam,

The feature you are planing is pretty cool. I am very excited to see it. But I’ve heard of a public roadmap for this year. What about it ? Do you have any news ?

Thanks a lot,

Boris F.

Liam B said:

Hi all,

Sorry for the late response. I have logged this suggestion for team discussion. Thanks all for the request for this feature.

In the next release, Katalon team will implement checking duplicate objects in the Repository. So stay tuned!

Thanks again for using Katalon Studio,
Liam

waiting eagerly.

2 Likes

+ 1 for this.

1 Like

Hey @Liam B,

Back in January you mentioned “In the next release, Katalon team will implement checking duplicate objects in the Repository. So stay tuned!”.

Will this feature be coming soon. I need this :slight_smile:

Thanks

Jon West said:

Hey @Liam B,

Back in January you mentioned “In the next release, Katalon team will implement checking duplicate objects in the Repository. So stay tuned!”.

Will this feature be coming soon. I need this :slight_smile:

Thanks

Hey Jon,

Yes, It is coming. We are holding it back to test the feature thoroughly before releasing it to our users. Please bear with us!

Thank you for your patience and support,
Liam

3 Likes

Hey @Liam B,

Thanks for the quick response. Thoroughly tested is good. Happy to help beta test it when it gets to that point :slight_smile:

Thanks

Are there any news on this issue?

1 Like

Whilst we wait for this functionality to be delivered, it is possible to find out if an object in the object repository is unused by any of your test cases. Simply click on an object or a folder that contains some of your objects and select “Show References”. A search will start and within the Search tab, the result will be displayed. If the object is not in use then the result will be “0 matches” and you can delete the object if you want to. Not ideal but a quick solution in the meantime to allow you to delete objects that you suspect are not in use.

1 Like

M2018 said:

Whilst we wait for this functionality to be delivered, it is possible to find out if an object in the object repository is unused by any of your test cases. Simply click on an object or a folder that contains some of your objects and select “Show References”. A search will start and within the Search tab, the result will be displayed. If the object is not in use then the result will be “0 matches” and you can delete the object if you want to. Not ideal but a quick solution in the meantime to allow you to delete objects that you suspect are not in use.

I already do this, but it’s not ideal, though.

Much easier is to click “delete object”. If the object is used somewhere you will be prompted with a list of the test cases and asked “are you sure”? If it is not used nowhere it will be deleted without further notice. The objects must be looped one by one. Not ideal either.

This is *in theory* already supported - select all objects and press delete, a screen appears warning that some are referenced in use cases, so click “No To All” - problem solved … except it doesn’t work and just deletes everything anyway! Bug I guess?

Work-around is to click on Cancel… Will only delete those objects that are not linked / in use.

1 Like

This works. If you select Cancel, then only the ones not used by any test case are deleted. The rest are kept in OR

It appears to work by accident - the prompt suggests the correct answer to choose is “No to all” (i.e., don’t delete those currently referenced). Cancel normally aborts the operation, but instead apparently carries out the “Not to all” action. That’s a bug.

1 Like

Have there been any updates on this feature?

2 Likes

Hey Liam,

I think we are numerous to want this feature and badly want it.
Any news on this topic?

BR