Katalon Studio very unstable on MacBook Pro

I have experienced Katalon Studio hanging and never recovering by simply selecting a script in the tab above. It seems to hang very often when I select that same script.

Katalon Studio 8.5

When this happens, I get a spinning wheel and Katalon never ends up recovering. I need to kill the Katalon application. This is very annoying and a major blocker since it happens very often (33% of the times I select the same script).

Please share the Katalon log file

• macOS logs folder: file:///Applications/Katalon%20Studio.app/Contents/MacOS/config/.metadata/log

You may try downgrading to the previous versions.

I had Katalon Studio 8.0.1 before and had the same issue. I upgraded to 8.0.5, same issue.
I cannot find the Katalon log file. Where is it stored on the macbook?

There is nothing in the config folder.

Why not you try v7.9.1?

Make sure you manually delete Katalon Studio 8.0.x out of the file:///Applications directory completely. Then install 7.9.1.

Is there a known issue with this version of Katalon?

Known issue? — I don’t know. I expect that no version can be complete.

FYI, this does not occur on windows machine with the same version of Katalon. I only have this issue on the macbook pro.

I do work on MacBook Air (macOS 11.4 Big Sur) with Katalon Studio 7.9.1, 8.0.1 and 8.0.5. I do not see problems that you have. I believe your case is accidental, specific to your current machine.

… I do not do Mobile testing. This may matter.

I would recommend you to reinstall it as cleanly as possible. So delete the previous installation first, then install an alternative version carefully.

Hi @mgrandillo,

Can you record a video about the hanging issue and share it with us?

Please also help to share with us the Error log file by clicking on Help -> Error Log

Error.log (535.3 KB)

In the attached Error.log I found

java.lang.NullPointerException
	at org.eclipse.jdt.groovy.search.SimpleTypeLookup.findType(SimpleTypeLookup.java:349)

I have ever seen this message in other older posts, for example:

I noticed that this posts reported an issue on Windows 10, not macOS.

@duyluong

any idea?

@mgrandillo

Which version of macOS are you working on? Is it 11.4 Big Sur? or older one?

In the Error.log I noticed a message

The workspace exited with unsaved changes in the previous session; refreshing workspace to recover changes.

The following article describes what this message means, what you should do when you see the above message:

This might happen when:

• sometimes the computer is put for hibernate many times when the eclipse is still working or
  • resources gets called too early before the instance of workspace can be created, or
  • Eclipse did not shutdown correctly.

You could try:

1. remove folder workspace.metadata.plugins\org.eclipse.core.resources.root.indexes
    and restart Eclipse (Referenced here) . Good to rename rather than delete because some also metioned that there was some other problem after that.
  2. Go to:
    .metadata.plugins\org.eclipse.core.resources and remove the file .snap
    ``
    Or remove file : .metadata\.plugins\org.eclipse.core.resources\.projects\<project>\.markers.snap . This is a large snapshot file which Eclipse constantly polls for some projects. (Referenced from here )

I am working on 11.4 Big Sur