Katalon Studio IDE does not sometime save changes

Looks like IDE need a lot of stability(it’s no where near modern IDEs), while spending a month or so came up with many times save hang and loosing last changes.

NOTE: for your interest I am using free version

Hi @shahid.nawaz

Can you provide us some screenshots about this issue and also the error log file?

i think i can add some context here, i’ve had it happen to me often
sometimes, Katalon will stop processing saves for specifc tabs, or rather, not realize there’s any change there to save, it also interferes with testcase execution, testcase will refuse to start until i close the offending tab(there’s no indication of which that is so it’s trial and error)

very specifically, i most often encounter this behaviour after i make changes to the test object repo, recording a webpage, copying, pasting, moving etc
closing the offending tab will let me run tests again, but it means i may potentially lose a few changes i made to said file without realizing
if there is anything i can do next time it happens that would help you, please let me know

1 Like

I don’t think there can be any specific screenshot for this behavior, however @kenzie.rigole provided very good details, I have seen this happening a lot

i have some additional information that might help find the issue
i had it again today, and i found the tab that didn’t save changes properly(and was blocking my testcase from executing)
so i closed it and then reopened the same file, and i discovered the following
upon opening the file, the save button will be enabled as soon as i make any change in the file, but after said save the button no longer becomes active for that particular file, and upon closing and reopening the file, i found that the first save didn’t actually save either
the save itself was near instant, too, as if it cancelled the operation, without any feedback to the user

Hi @kenzie.rigole,

Thanks for the detailed and informative feedback. From our side, we need more info for better investigation:

• Which version of Katalon Studio version are you using? What is your OS version?
  • Does this happen when editing test case and test object only or another artifact too? What type of the test object are you working: Web, Mobile or WebService?
  • How long does this happen after starting Katalon Studio: few minutes or few hours?

@duyluong
after paying more attention to what i’m doing before editing a test object, i’ve come to the following reproduction steps

1. edit a file(in my case, a step definition .groovy file)
  2. right click a test object and select rename
    • you will see the popup that files need to be saved first
  3. confirm, note the files that will be saved and confirm
  4. rename the file and confirm
    • all files that were shown in the popup ‘save files’ no longer allow me to save changes

it seems to me that any action that will cause the ‘save changes’ popup to be displayed, will cause this behaviour
as for the specific environment i’m working on:
Katalon 7.8.0
Windows 10

@duyluong As you know, these issues go way back…

Unable to save any web testing project changes

Hi @kenzie.rigole, @Russ_Thomas,

Thanks for your feedback. I will talk with the project team about this issue. Hope we can find out root cause soon.

1. edit a file(in my case, a step definition .groovy file)
  2. right click a test object and select rename
  • you will see the popup that files need to be saved first
  1. confirm, note the files that will be saved and confirm
  2. rename the file and confirm
  • all files that were shown in the popup ‘save files’ no longer allow me to save changes

Update: I can confirm this case causes the step definition (.groovy) could not be saved.

1 Like

Hi @kenzie.rigole, @Russ_Thomas, @shahid.nawaz

The bug as mentioned above was fixed in v7.9.0. Please check for update or download from our website.

Thanks

1 Like

@duyluong

I’m using 7.9.0rc2 and I have not experienced the bug yet.

While using 7.9.0rc, it happened twice. The behavior was a little different but the net effect was the same. I had to close the tab, reopen the file and re-add the new code.

1 Like

Hi @Russ_Thomas,

I’m using 7.9.0rc2 and I have not experienced the bug yet.
While using 7.9.0rc, it happened twice.

Because the bug was fixed after v7.9.0.rc released so please try with v7.9.0.rc2 or 7.9.0 official release.

1 Like

Hi,

I am also facing the same issue while saving the test case in web project . I am not able to make any changes also in test case in Manual Mode. I make changes in Script mode and then close katalon and reopen then only I can run the test case.

I am using Katalon Studio Enterprise (Trial) version 7.9.0.
OS is windows 10.

Please suggest how to resolve this issue.