Katalon project very slow to open on startup of Katalon --- VPN?

When I launch Katalon, the project is very slow to open. It takes over 15 minutes or more for my project to open. The project is not very big. I have about 50 test cases, maybe around 14 test suites.

Hi @mgrandillo, it has been slow since about version 7.0, 7.1. Some others have mentioned as well. My startup time is about 40-60 seconds when it was about 15-20. I have a larger project but it is still slow(er) to start.

I wish there was a load metric provided by Katalon to measure performance times from release to release. They have automated API performance metrics so maybe they are looking into measuring the project load times.

@mgrandillo

Please take a screenshot while your project is being opened and stacked.
The screenshot may indicate to us what is taking long time to proceed.

try to disable testops integration in your project if you are not using it.

Tried that, it didnt work.

Here is the screenshot.

FYI, it took about 12 minutes to open the project.And when it finally opened, it shows at the bottom “loading plugins”…(100%). Stays in this state for a few minutes. So in total i would say you need to wait at least 15 minutes to have access to Katalon once the project is loaded.

Please share the .log file that Katalon Studio wrote while you experienced slow initialization.

• Windows logs folder:
    <Katalon Studio folder>\config\.metadata\.log
  • macOS logs folder: file:///Applications/Katalon%20Studio.app/Contents/MacOS/config/.metadata/.plugins/org.eclipse.ui.workbench/log

To make the .log file concise, please follow the steps

1. stop Katalon Studiio
  2. delete the .log fiile
  3. restart Katalon Studio and open the project … you need to wait for 15 minutes?
  4. stop KS again
  5. share the file to us.

I attached my .log file here just for your reference — I experience no slowness at all. Do you find any remarkable difference in your .log file? — eg. Java Stacktraces printed repeatedly, etc.
my.log.text.zip (1.2 KB)

Could you share the <projectDir>/.classpath file of your problem project?

.log.zip (2.8 KB)

.classpath.zip (2.3 KB)

In the .log file, I found several points to note:

katalon.versionNumber=7.9.1
katalon.buildNumber=208
!SESSION 2021-03-14 16:31:39.648 -----------------------------------------------
eclipse.buildId=unknown
java.version=1.8.0_181
java.vendor=Oracle Corporation
BootLoader constants: OS=win32, ARCH=x86_64, WS=win32, NL=en_CA
Command-line arguments:  -os win32 -ws win32 -arch x86_64 -data @noDefault

You are using Katalon Studio ver7.9.1 on Windows

!ENTRY org.eclipse.egit.ui 2 0 2021-03-14 16:32:07.413
!MESSAGE Warning: The environment variable HOME is not set. The following directory will be used to store the Git
user global configuration and to define the default location to store repositories: 'P:\'. If this is
not correct please set the HOME environment variable and restart Eclipse. Otherwise Git for Windows and
EGit might behave differently since they see different configuration options.
This warning can be switched off on the Team > Git > Confirmations and Warnings preference page.

…(17 minutes passed)

!ENTRY org.eclipse.e4.ui.workbench 1 0 2021-03-14 16:49:30.192
!MESSAGE Reloading plugins.

…(3minutes passed)

!ENTRY org.eclipse.ui 4 4 2021-03-14 16:52:35.526
!MESSAGE To avoid deadlock while executing Display.syncExec() with argument: com.kms.katalon.composer.project.handlers.ProjectSessionHandler$3$$Lambda$620/193889212@520acd07, thread Worker-8: Restoring Previous Session will interrupt UI thread.
!SUBENTRY 1 org.eclipse.ui 4 4 2021-03-14 16:52:35.527
!MESSAGE Worker-8: Restoring Previous Session thread is an instance of Worker or owns an ILock
!STACK 0
java.lang.IllegalStateException: Call stack for thread Worker-8: Restoring Previous Session
	at sun.management.ThreadImpl.dumpThreads0(Native Method)

…(Many other Java Stacktraces followed)

In the .classpath file I found

<classpathentry kind="lib"
     path="C:/Users/mgrandillo/Downloads/Katalon_Studio_Windows_64-7.7.2/Katalon_Studio_Windows_64-7.7.2/plugins/com.kms.katalon.core_1.0.0.202101290615.jar" sourcepath="C:/Users/mgrandillo/Downloads/Katalon_Studio_Windows_64-7.7.2/Katalon_Studio_Windows_64-7.7.2/configuration/resources/source/com.kms.katalon.core/com.kms.katalon.core-sources.jar">

This line indicates that this .classpath file was created by Katalon Studio 7.7.2. On the other hand @mgrandillo is using Katalon Studio ver 7.9.1 now. The versions are mismatching. I guess that this discrepancy is the reason why he experiences the slow startup of KS project.

I experimented on my PC. I downloaded the .classpath file which @mgradillo provieded, overwrite it into one of my Katalon Project X. I started KS on my PC and opened my Project X, and watched how the <projectX>/.classpath file. Of course it was the same as the @mgradillo’s one, but after some seconds passed the file was overwritten by Katalon Studio. The Project X launched successfully. I checked the .classpath file and found it was new — compliant to KS v7.9.1.

This experiment tells me that the .classpath file will be silently/automatically overwritten by Katalon Studio at project startup. Therefore it is safe to delete the .classpath file, as it will be restored anyway.

However, as noted, @mgrandillo is using KS 7.9.1 while in his project he has a .classpath file for KS7.7.2. I don’t see the reason why this could happen. Why his KS 7.9.1 does not overwrite the .classpath file in his project? Katalon Studio seems to have some fault here, is not robust enough.

->
@ThanhTo, @duyluong

Similar issue is here

@mgrandillo

Anyway, I would recommend you to try

1. take a full backup of your project just in case of mistakes
  2. stop Katalon Studio
  3. delete <yourProject>/.classpath file — to avoid the version discrepancy found above
  4. delete <yourProject>/bin directory as well — to make the project clean
  5. restart Katalon Studio, open the project

and see

@mgrandillo

Do you use Git for your project? If yes, do you save .classpath file in the Git repository? I think you should NOT save the .classpath file. Just .gitignore it.

The following is the .gitignore file generated by KS 7.9.1:

.gradle

bin

Reports

Libs

output

!output/.gitkeep
build

.classpath

.project
2 Likes

The Libs folder should be also removed. This will force Katalon to properly re-index the entire project.
In fact all files mentioned by gitignore can be safely removed.

2 Likes

Hi everyone,

We have a significant update on this in v8.2.0 recently, now:

• Improved loading time in Katalon Runtime Engine. Results from our benchmarking tests show: 2x faster for big projects, 1.5x faster for small and medium projects.
  • Improved responsiveness and loading time for big projects in Katalon Studio. Results from our benchmarking tests show: renaming/opening test cases 2x faster, moving test cases 1.5x faster.
  • Reduced 12% memory consumption on average of Katalon Studio when opening/executing tests.
  • Reduced 30% memory consumption on average of Katalon Runtime Engine for long execution sessions.

Please first check out the release note and click here to download if you want to try out version 8.2.0 (stable).

I still have the same slowness issue. I am using KS 8.2 version and it takes close to 15mins for my project to load. And also again to switch from Test case to Keywords it again takes 10-15mins. Any help here is highly appreciated.
Thanks in Advance!!

Hi @Aruna, as mentioned above do the following:

• Log out of Katalon.
  • Make a backup of <yourProject> (should anything go wrong).
  • delete <yourProject>\.classpath file
  • delete <yourProject>\bin directory to cleanup your project
  • Restart Katalon and open you project.

Hopefully this will help improve your project load time.

Hi @Dave_Evers,
Tried everything but no luck, even deleted lib folder as well…

try deleting <yourProject>/.cache directory as well.

Hi @kazurayam,

Tried that as well, and also tried re-installing KS as well.
Thanks…