Katalon could not open Safari browser

I recorded test in Chrome and try to run it on Safari. I have installed SafariDriver but test still failed to open browser.

Here are error message:
Test Cases/ML-test FAILED because (of) Unable to open browser with url: ‘’ (Root cause: org.openqa.selenium.remote.UnreachableBrowserException: Failed to connect to SafariDriver after 10072 ms
Build info: version: ‘2.53.0’, revision: ‘35ae25b’, time: ‘2016-03-15 17:00:58’
System info: host: ‘ip-10-101-37-40.ap-southeast-2.compute.internal’, ip: ‘10.101.37.40’, os.name: ‘Mac OS X’, os.arch: ‘x86_64’, os.version: ‘10.12.6’, java.version: ‘1.8.0_102’
Driver info: driver.version: CSafariDriver)

Can anyone help?

Found the answer here: https://docs.katalon.com/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=3179464

Katalon does not support Safari at the moment. Would be good to take out the unsupported browsers from the Run list.

Thanks Michelle, you saved a hell a lot of my time debugging this issue.

Does not support Safari on both Windows and MacOS yet when using ‘Execute test from specific step’.
So it should support Safari.

I seem to be getting the same error but for Firefox. I have 100 iterations and usually fails at least once out of the 100.:

Root cause: org.openqa.selenium.remote.UnreachableBrowserException

And it times out in hours…sometimes as much as 6 hours…I am trying to find a way how to lower that timeout to 30 seconds, any ideas?

@Natalia Volkova said:
Does not support Safari on both Windows and MacOS yet when using ‘Execute test from specific step’.
So it should support Safari.

Yes it supports Safari but only 9,10. Safari 11 is not supported yet

Any information when will Safari 11 be supported?

1 Like

@“Mariusz Gil” - as of Katalon 5.2.0 - Safari 11 is supported. Works fine for me :smile:

What about the new release of Katalon? the release of 5.3.0 is not able to open the error org.openqa.selenium.SessionNotCreatedException.
And i have enabled Remote Automation in Safari browser and the Safari browser is also installed.
Safari browser version: 11.0.3

nidhi mishra said:

What about the new release of Katalon? the release of 5.3.0 is not able to open the error org.openqa.selenium.SessionNotCreatedException.
And i have enabled Remote Automation in Safari browser and the Safari browser is also installed.

Have you installed the extension? Or maybe show me the full message of its. I’ve no problems here using Safari latest version

Screen Shot 2018-01-31 at 17.43.00.png

@Vinh Nguyen said:
nidhi mishra said:

Have you installed the extension? Or maybe show me the full message of its. I’ve no problems here using Safari latest version

Hi Vinh,

I am using Win 10 and safari 5.1.7 however still facing issue in opening browser. Can you tell me whether any extension is required for Windows too and from where i can get it.
Below is the log when i tried with safari:

Unable to open browser with url: ‘’ (Root cause: org.openqa.selenium.WebDriverException: SafariDriver requires Safari 10 running on OSX El Capitan or greater.

The same test is running fine on Chrome and FF.
Also not able to open Microsoft Edge, Log:

(Root cause: org.openqa.selenium.WebDriverException: org.apache.http.conn.HttpHostConnectException: Connect to localhost:38415 [localhost/127.0.0.1, localhost/0:0:0:0:0:0:0:1] failed: Connection refused: connect

Kindly Help.

Thank you,
Shruti

Hi Shruti,
The Safari 5.1.7 issue is related to the fact that the verison of safari is not longer supported for the webdriver or something like that, you need to run a newer version of safari as is noted in the text.

By the way that version of safari is way outdated, I think just few people will use safari on windows (safari will not be updated on windows any longer).

If you need to test on safari latest versions you should have mac osx running

About the EDGE issue maybe is related to the webdriver, I`m working with EDGE in a daily basis with no issue so far.

Yohan

I noticed the only Selenium Web Driver is being used on safari ‘WebDrive.safariextz’ v2.48.0 and this is the unsupported driver and Selenium themselves says not to use it. Instead the Webkit team or Apple appear to have developed their own found on macOS as /usr/bin/safaridriver.

Is there a way to tell Katalon Studio for Safari 10 and 11 to use the new web driver with Safari instead of using the
https://webkit.org/blog/6900/webdriver-support-in-safari-10/ ?

The only issue I am having with Safari right now is with some Select popup menus. Everything else seems to work. Safari thinks its selecting the menu but it does not register on the UI. I am hoping with the ability to use a newer driver will fix this. Otherwise, I’ll locate a new workaround.

Todd Bruss said:

I noticed the only Selenium Web Driver is being used on safari ‘WebDrive.safariextz’ v2.48.0 and this is the unsupported driver and Selenium themselves says not to use it. Instead the Webkit team or Apple appear to have developed their own found on macOS as /usr/bin/safaridriver.

Is there a way to tell Katalon Studio for Safari 10 and 11 to use the new web driver with Safari instead of using the
WebDriver Support in Safari 10 | WebKit ?

The only issue I am having with Safari right now is with some Select popup menus. Everything else seems to work. Safari thinks its selecting the menu but it does not register on the UI. I am hoping with the ability to use a newer driver will fix this. Otherwise, I’ll locate a new workaround.

Hi Todd,

I find just turning off the safari selenium webDriver works. I’m on Safari 11.1

Screen Shot 2018-07-11 at 10.14.55.png

1 Like

So turning off the webDriver did the trick for me - thank you!

However the speed at which Katalon plays back recorded test cases in Mac Safari is way too fast and causes failures. Setting the ‘Delay between actions (in seconds)’ to 1 second helps but then Katalon slows to a crawl and is not useable. When I play back the same test cases on my Windows 7 box in Chrome & Firefox the cases work as expected. Would it be possible to change the ‘in seconds’ to ‘in milliseconds’ so that we can set 100, 200 300, 500 milliseconds? I know this has be requested before, just wondering if this can be fast-tracked? Alternatively is there a work-around that would allow this speed to be set in the back-ground via a configuration setting?

Thanks,
Dave

WebUI.png

1 Like

Hi Pablo,

Could you please let me know the desired capabilities settings for Safari 11?
and is it supported the katalon version 5.8.0?
I am currently using Katalon Studio
Version: 5.8.0

Thanks,
Sristi