How to Read/Write Excel File using Apach POI in Katalon Studio

I have published a demo project in GitHub

This project provides a working Test Case script which

1. reads an Excel file ./Employee.xlsx , print the data in the sheet into the console
  2. updates the sheet with additional rows of data, write the workbook into another Excel file ./Employee.out.xlsx

The source is here:

The input Excel sheet looks like: input i The output Excel sheet looks like: output

When I ran the Test Case I saw the following messages in the console:

2022-01-14 11:58:27.083 INFO  c.k.katalon.core.main.TestCaseExecutor   - START Test Cases/XLSXReaderWriter
表1	
ID	NAME	SALARY	DEPARTMENT	MANAGER	
1.0	John	70K	IT	STEVE	
2.0	Graham	80K	DATA	Carl	
3.0	Sodhi	60K	IT	Ram	
4.0	Ram	100K	IT	Alex	
5.0	Carl	150K	DATA	Alex	
6.0	Steve	130K	IT	Alex	

Writing into ./Employee.out.xlsx
2022-01-14 11:58:30.193 INFO  c.k.katalon.core.main.TestCaseExecutor   - END Test Cases/XLSXReaderWriter

Motivation

The Test Case script calls the API of Apache POI directly. This script aims to demonstrate a simple but working example how to use the POI API in Katalon Studio.

About the POI API, there are a lot of resources. So you should search and find articles that help you learn it more.

The latest verion of Apache POI is v5.0.x, but Katalon Studio v8.2.0 bundles fairly old version of Apache POI: 3.17. You should note this version difference, and mind not to be confused.

You would need to see the Javadoc of POI v3.17 frequently.

How I made it

The source code is originally published by vektorwebsolutions.com at the following site

The original was written in Java. I convert it into Katalon Studio’s Test Case script in Groovy.

I modified the code just slightly as I found a few issues to be fixed.

2 Likes