Executing Test Suite Collection from Jenkins (failures in Edge browser)

I have a Test Suite Collection that runs a single Test Suite in both Chrome and Edge. When I execute the Test Suite Collection from within Katalon, all is good - I had to update the Edge webdriver from the Microsoft website, but that’s all sorted and everything passes.

I’m now attempting to integrate into Jenkins using something like the following command line command:

katalon -noSplash -runMode=console -projectPath=“C:\Katalon\Projects\project1\project1.prj” -retry=0 -testSuiteCollectionPath=“Test Suites/TSC001 - Project 1” -email="a@b.com" -password=“password”

However, what I’m seeing is that whilst all the Chrome tests pass, the Edge tests all fail, all within about 2 seconds, and all with an error message containing the information below:

[TEST_CASE][FAILED] - Test Cases/Project1/Project1 FAILED because (of) Unable to open browser with url: ‘’ (Root cause: org.openqa.selenium.WebDriverException: Unable to parse remote response: Unknown error

Build info: version: ‘3.7.1’, revision: ‘8a0099a’, time: ‘2017-11-06T21:07:36.161Z’

System info: host: ‘ADMIN-PC’, ip: ‘192.168.1.48’, os.name: ‘Windows 10’, os.arch: ‘amd64’, os.version: ‘10.0’, java.version: ‘1.8.0_102’

Driver info: driver.version: CEdgeDriver)

It looks related to the Edge webdriver, but I have the latest driver in place in …\configuration\resources\drivers\edgedriver and I can’t work out why the tests are failing.

I’m also trying to understand the benefits of using Jenkins (particularly if issues like this are directly related to using Jenkins), and why I shouldn’t just use Windows Task Scheduler - all I’m using Jenkins for is to schedule tests, and I’m using Katalon Analytics to view results. Although it is probably easier to manage in Jenkins, are there any other real benefits that perhaps I’m missing?

Thanks,

Kevin

2 Likes

So I’ve just noticed on the following page…

https://docs.katalon.com/display/KD/Console+Mode+Execution

…that EDGE is not listed as an option for the -browserType= command line flag.

Is it correct that EDGE is not supported from command line mode, or is the documentation out of date, does anyone know please?

Thanks,

Kevin

Same error I observe when I run test from Bamboo.

I created .bat file which contains command line for starting test with Edge, and when I run it from local machine it is executed successfully. So it looks like is not issue with Edge console mode

When I start .bat script from Bamboo, I get error below

Unable to open browser with url: ‘’ (Root cause:
org.openqa.selenium.WebDriverException: Unable to parse remote response:
Unknown error
Build info: version: ‘3.7.1’, revision: ‘8a0099a’, time:
‘2017-11-06T21:07:36.161Z’
System info: host: ‘DESKTOP-CCAGJ50’, ip: ‘192.168.x.x’, os.name:
‘Windows 10’, os.arch: ‘amd64’, os.version: ‘10.0’, java.version:
‘1.8.0_102’
Driver info: driver.version: CEdgeDriver)

When I start Chrome and Firefox tests from bamboo, works fine.

Got this error when using Edge org.openqa.selenium.WebDriverException: Unable to parse remote response: Unknown error
I start my tests from Katalon UI. Test will run fine for one or two times. But as soon as you have this error the only solution is to restart Katalon. I saw the issue at least on 64-5.6.0 and 7.0 on Windows

1 Like

Houba TripleSeven said:

Got this error when using Edge org.openqa.selenium.WebDriverException: Unable to parse remote response: Unknown error
I start my tests from Katalon UI. Test will run fine for one or two times. But as soon as you have this error the only solution is to restart Katalon. I saw the issue at least on 64-5.6.0 and 7.0 on Windows

Hi Houba. I also got the same error but it worked on the first time I configured Edge with the appropriate webdriver two days ago. As of now it still won’t work. Were you able to fix it on your end?

Hi Houba. You’re right! It worked when I relaunched Katalon Studio. Thanks!