[Community Award 2023] Grylion54 - The White Knight 🏆

Hi Community member, :wave:

Today, we are excited to announce the first award category of our Katalon Community 2023 Year End Award: The White Knight :shield: :crossed_swords: .

This award recognizes helpful members who reply the most to others’ questions, and who are usually the first to offer their support for those in need. :speech_balloon:

While there were a lot of candidates for this category, we believe @grylion54 is most fitting for this award as they have spent 332 days on our forum, read 1,539 topics and 9,791 posts, made 409 replies overall, and with high number of 251 likes received.

We also got a chance to talk with @grylion54 for a short while for his thoughts and experiences participating on Katalon Community forum. Read more below: :point_down:

1. Could you tell us a bit about yourself? i.e. what you do, where you are from, etc.

I have a Bachelor’s degree of Technology in Information Technology. That means I can put BTech after my name. That leads to a good many jokes with just a slip of the keyboard.

At the moment, I am living and working in British Columbia, Canada. I have been working as a Programmer Analyst for more than 20 years at several companies. One thing I like about my role is the ability to work remotely (in fact, I have been working from home since COVID-19 in 2020, and it is great that my current company continues letting me do so)!

Otherwise, I have lived in the same house for the last 20+ years - check out the aerial view of my house below :point_down: - and my kids have grown and left the nest.

2. How did you come across the Katalon Platform, and what do you like most about it?

Well, I inherited the role of testing our company’s software from my predecessor, who had switched from a Selenium-based tool to Katalon Studio. She got promoted to a managerial position, and so I was asked to take over her testing duties. Unlike her, I had a programming background, which helped me improve and expand the test scripts she had created. As I learned more about Katalon Studio, I was able to use it to perform regression testing and find various issues in our software, some of which were critical and others that were less urgent.

3. How long have you been a member on Katalon Community forum, and how has the forum helped you regarding using / learning about the Katalon Platform?

I have been using Katalon Studio for three years now. And during that time, I have learned a lot from the Community forum, where I saw how other users applied different techniques with Studio. I used my programming skills to enhance and “upgrade" our test scripts. Though sometimes it is a bit of a “one step forward, two steps back" situation and I had to rewrite the scripts, but I always gained some new knowledge and share it with others on the forum as well as my team members. So far, I have achieved a high test coverage of 80-90% of our main application, thanks to Studio.

4. What are the first things you do when you visit our forum?

I usually check to see if there are new questions on the homepage or in the “New" section to see if any of them are related to something I know or have tried within Studio before.

5. What inspires you to support others on our community?

I joined the Community forum to look for an answer to a question that I had about Studio. As I browsed through the topics, I came across several questions from other members that I could answer. And then, as I replied to those topics, more questions that fell within my expertise kept popping up. So, it is like a cycle really, one that enables me to not only help others but also to learn from their feedback and solutions.

6. We all have our lives and jobs outside of the forum, so how do you make time for Katalon Community forum?

I always keep the Katalon Community forum in the background and return to it whenever I run a test script or need a break from “working”, or at home when I review my other projects.

7. What are you interested to see on our forum in 2024? I.e. new features, more events, webinar, etc.

The Community forum, and other channels such as Documentations and Blog have helped me to stay up-to-date on the new features and updates that Katalon announces. And, I am interested to see what Katalon will bring to the table a.k.a. Katalon’s “next big thing" in 2024, and to see whether it can help us improve our test scripts or our overall testing processes.

Thank you @grylion54 for all of your efforts and contribution in 2023. We hope you will continue to be such a valuable member to our community in the future! And please keep an eye out for your inbox as there will be a surprise for you soon! :wink: :gift:

Thanks,
Katalon Community team

:information_source: To see all of our Katalon Community 2023 Year End Award winners, simply navigate to the award-2023 tag!

10 Likes

Congratulations @grylion54!!! I live in BC too and work from home thanks to Covid.
Cheers Dave

1 Like

Congratulations :tada::tada::tada: @grylion54

1 Like

Congratulations :tada: :tada: :tada: :star_struck: :clap: :clap: @grylion54

1 Like

@grylion54

Way to go Mike!

:trophy:

:partying_face:

3 Likes

Congratulations :tada: :tada: @grylion54