Can Katalon record Tests with CSS selectors rather than the default Xpath?

unfortunatly Xpath selectors are shaky and do no work for most of the test executions i’ve tried to run. Katalon could not find the objects. is there a way to change this default configuration for the test recordings?

Hi Mark,
you can change the way to locate element by editing your element in Object Repository. Just uncheck xpath in object properties.

Hi Jan,
Thanks for the quick response,

I was trying to avoid that(editing your element in Object Repository) and instead change the default configuration of the Recording feature

Next release of Katalon Studio will have big improvement to this and you can use css as default capturing selector.

1 Like

Thanks for the update

Hi Vinh,
is this new version already out and if it is, how can I enable css default capturing?

Ralf Comtesse said:

Hi Vinh,
is this new version already out and if it is, how can I enable css default capturing?

Hi there

Unfortunately selecting CSS selector as a default selector will not be deployed in later releases. Currently you need to manually pass in your CSS selector in this case.

Hi any idea when the latest version be available with CSS Selector as a default selector?

Many thanks

1 Like

Chapel Kabir said:

Hi any idea when the latest version be available with CSS Selector as a default selector?

Many thanks

Any idea any one?

Hello, any progress on this topic? Also we feel that this is one of the potential blockers.

1 Like

Can we at least know reason why this feature was not implemented? Does this mean it will never be implemented? I mean adding CSS selector manually is not even close to having CSS selector as default recording strategy which would be extremely useful. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

@ThanhTo Please track this request.

1 Like

Any updates on this? Has the recorder been updated in the latest versions so that it captures the CSS selector instead of the xpath? If so, how do you change the recorder so that it takes in CSS? thanks!

Hi please any update on this? Having issues with xpath, and literally one of the best saving features of Katalon auto creating selectors negates all the benefits when you have to go in manually and play around with the selectors and update them.

Shout out: @devalex88 @ThanhTo

Is this a suggestion for automatic CSS locators generation feature ? Just wanna clarify.

Well, the OP and several others are saying the recorder uses XPath only - they’d prefer that the recorder could be configured to use either CSS or XPath.

Right now, they have to use the recorder, then have to change all the XPaths to use CSS - tedious.

any news on this topic … would be nice to know when it will be available in teh recorder