Can i find out what version was used by looking at files in Katalon Project Folder?

Hi,

I used various version of Katalon Studio to create projects. (eg. 6.1.5, 6.3.3, 7.0.10)
When I replay these projects, I’d like to use Katalon Studio version that I used to create these projects.

I am wondering if we can tell which Katalon Studio version was used by looking at any files in Katalon Project Folder? (I mean project files in the windows folder)

Thanks,

Based on a file-contents search, I’d say no. But it’s possible I missed something.

Call out @Brandon_Hein @Marek_Melocik @kazurayam @ThanhTo @devalex88

I agree with @Russ_Thomas, I don’t think it’s possible in the way you’ve described.

Just curious about why this is important. Can you describe the purpose a little bit? It may lead to a solution for you.

I agree with @Russ_Thomas.

By the way, on my Windows 10 PC, I found a file C:\Users\myname\.katalon\application.properties which has following content:

#C:\Users\myname\Katalon_Studio_Windows_64-6.1.5
#Thu May 16 07:15:24 JST 2019
katalon.buildNumber=3
katalon.versionNumber=6.1.5
ntc=0
ntr=0
activated=***_****************
npc=0
email=*******************
ntcc=0
password=*******************
orgTime=*************

I think this control information is updated everytime you start Katalon Studio. This file implies that Katalon Studio is designed naively assuming that you have only 1 version of Katalon Studio on a machine installed. Multiple versions of Katalon Studio on a machine — it is out of scope.

I personally have never wanted multiple versions of Katalon Studio on a machine. The latest version of KS works fine for every projects that I have created using the older versions of KS. I do not understand why @Phil_Jeon wants multiple versions of KS.

That may be true - haven’t checked. If you delete that file, when you restart Katalon, it will ask you to re-activate. So I guess it’s the properties file sent by the activation server.

Either way, it doesn’t help prove which scripts were written by which version of KS.

I think that’s a TestOps design choice. Licenses are node-locked by machine instance. If you run 2 or more installs of any 7+ release, each one will overwrite the last and each one will want to re-activate (my guess).

@devalex88 Any chance you could enlighten us here? Also, could script metadata/properties be expanded to include lastModifiedByKSVersion field?

I do not think so. I believe that the ~/.katalon/application.properties file is traditional one. I believe version 6.x has it. Perhaps version 5.x also has it.

By the way, I found the 1st line of ~\.katalon\application.properties file useful.

Test case script can read the file to find, in this line, where the current Katalon Studio binary is located.

1 Like

@Phil_Jeon

Currently that’s not possible. It’s more of a versioning issue, so I suppose you would have to intentionally mark the version somewhere (perhaps readme.md) and use this clue to choose the appropriate version instead.

@Brandon_Hein I was getting an error when I opened project created in Studio Version 7.0.10 using the older version of Studio (6.3.3).

Error - unable to resolve class com.kms.katalon.core.windows.keyword.WindowsBuiltinKeyword