[Ask Katalon Anything] The new Katalon Platform

Hi @kakouau79 and @meidinaym,

Thank you for your interest of using our new Katalon Platform. This is some helpful documents for you to follow Open a test project in Katalon Studio - Platform Edition | Katalon Docs. Besides, there is a tutorial video on our Katalon Academy to guide you through Katalon Studio for Beginners: How to Create and Execute Automated Tests. Hope those materials help!

Hi @kakouau79, with the latest version of KS, you are using the Platform edition, so the process of creating a project is quite different from the previous version. You need to go to Katalon TestOps first and create a new project there. See this doc: Create an Organization and Project | Katalon Docs.
Then, you need to enable Git integration on that project. See this doc: Upload test scripts from the Git repository to Katalon TestOps | Katalon Docs.
After that, you can come back to KS and open your project.
Hope this would help :two_hearts:

1 Like

Hi guys. A friend of mine introduced me to Katalon saying it can be of help for my needs. Iā€™d like to test it out. Unfortunately, my tech skills are out of a high league.
He shared with me an automation script (a folder with files) and said I can run it to see the functionality. However, I cannot open it via File - Open Project. There is a GIT Repository URL I cannot change. Iā€™ve already created an account on GitHub where the project was uploaded. But Katalon wonā€™t let me choose its repository.
I was following this link to check how to open a test project: Open a test project in Katalon Studio - Platform Edition | Katalon Docs. But nothing worked for me.

Iā€™m using Katalon Studio 8.5.1.

Would rather appreciate if you could provide me with some insights how this can be solved.

Thank you in advance!

Hi @germanseptember3009, regarding your questions, I believe this comment here would be able to solve your issue.

Please try the steps mentioned in it and let us know if you still run into any problem :+1:

Happy testing!
Albert

is it not possible if you donā€™t use git?

Hi @germanseptember3009, did you upload your test scripts from your Git repository to your project on Katalon TestOps? This doc might be helpful for you: ā€‹Upload test scripts from the Git repository to Katalon TestOps. If you already uploaded successfully, you will be able to see that Git repo URL in the dropdown list.
Hope this would help :two_hearts:

1 Like

Q: Why is Katalon making this change now?

A: We are first to market with a single platform-based solution & story for software quality management. We believe this first mover advantage will strengthen our thought leadership position. Addtionally, and perhaps more importantly, launching now allows us to better understand how our users and customers utilize the new platform & collect usage feedback which will better inform our future releases & pricing.

Q: What is the difference between the current offering and the new Katalon Platform?

A: Previously, Katalon TestOps is optional. From September 21st onward, Katalon TestOps will be required for all users. It means you will access the Katalon Platform via Katalon TestOps at https://testops.katalon.io/.

Q: What are the primary benefits of to me for leveraging TestOps as the Platform?

A:

• TestOpsā€™ mission is to become a highly open AI-augmented software quality command center that empowers teams of all sizes to optimize software testing activities throughout the software development life cycle.
  • TestOps is seamlessly integrated with other Katalon products and offers a one-stop shop for test management, orchestration, advanced reporting and analytics. We will continue to introduce new capabilities including web-based test authoring, manual testing management, and other AI capabilities toward autonomous testing.

Hi @albert.vu , what are the steps for a new account to opt out of the Katalon Platform as i need to use the Standalone version

Hi @scasasmartin,

Thank you for sharing your question. May I check when did you create your Katalon account?

Case 1. Before Sep 21, 2022, if you are using Katalon Studio (standalone version), you will have option to opt-out during the platform trial period (Sep 21, 2022 to Feb 15, 2023)
Case 2. From Sep 21, 2022 going forward, your usage will be on Katalon Studio Platform version by default.

If you are in the case 1, we will need your org ID that was created before Sep 21, 2022. Hope this helps.

Hi @vu.tran, for the Case 2, would it be possible to use the Katalon standalone version or is it only limited to use the Katalon Platform?

Hello,

How can we use the Standalone version if we have created a free account after the 21st of September 2022?

Q: What will happen after the free Platform trial period ends?

A:
After your Platfrom trial period (from Sep 21, 2022 to Feb 15, 2023) has ended, you can ā€¦

• Stay with their current configuration (old model) without any changes at time of renewal
  • Switch to the new platform pricing model at time of renewal
  • Renew early & switch to new platform pricing model

Q: My team has finished the trial and and has decided to opt-in the new Katalon platform? What are we looking at in terms of extra cost?

A:
You wonā€™t be charged for anything during your free trial period (from Sep 21, 2022 to Feb 15, 2023).

However, it should be noted that with the new Katalon platform, we are changing how TestOps count test executions and results:

Before

Test Results to be counted when Test run being created and executed via TestOps scheduler and other Katalon applications (Studio, KRE, Visual Testing)

• Passed, Failed, Error, and Incomplete are counted
  • Skipped are NOT counted

New Katalon Platfrom

What is counted towards test results?

• Passed, Failed, Error or Incomplete Test Results from test cases ran via TestOps scheduler and other Katalon applications (Studio, TestCloud, KRE, Visual Test)
  • Test results imported from outside of Katalon applications (such as JUnit, Mocha, Jest, Jasmine, Pytest)
  • KS Test Results which are manually uploaded to TO using from TO UI, Command line using Report Uploader, Jenkins integration

What is not counted towards test results?

• Skipped test results
  • Test Results will be also be counted if:
  • KS Test Results run under DEBUG mode in KS will be excluded (KS will not allow uploading test results that run under DEBUG mode to TO).

Please refer to our Pricing page for more information regarding our Platform tiers and support regarding on-premise solutions.

Hi @scasasmartin and @usebib1, thank you for your questions, Iā€™m sourcing the information internally and will provide updates once the confirmation is finalized. Thank you for your patience.

Hi all, thank you for all of your questions thus far! This is to let you know that we will now close this topic and all the questions & answers within this thread will be consolidated and included in our Weekly FAQ series.

Should you have any concerns or problems when using Katalon platform, feel free to Ask the Community

Thanks, :+1:
Katalon Community team

1 Like

Hey there!
Iā€™m using Katalon Studio PE for a subject in college and while Iā€™m able to add my BitBucket repository in my cloud project when trying to open that same project with the same credentials (user and app password) on PE, I keep getting a ā€œnot authorizedā€ error which is preventing me from fetching a branch

Iā€™m on a Macbook Pro M1, and apparently, another mac user in my class is having similar problems. Every other Windows/Linux user has had no issues.

Hi @joseluisleonguillen,

Welcome to Katalon Community. Could you help confirm:

1. Can you clone the project from this git to gitpass?
  2. Have you ever integrated this git url with Katalon Studio successfully? I mean that you can commit changes to Git.
  3. Have you tried with other git url? does it have the same problem? If other url works, a quick workaround is to update your project to the working git url and try to integrate it with Katalon Studio.
  4. My guess is also that your personal token is expired. In this case, you need to generate the new one. You can check this link: Personal access tokens | Bitbucket Data Center and Server 7.2 | Atlassian Documentation

Hope this helps!

1 Like