This is an official update from the Katalon team on our roadmap and future changes.
Dear Katalon Community,
Katalon Studio has been around for three years with the vision to make test automation accessible to everyone. However, we’ve come to a point in which we need financial revenues to continue growing the product.
On that account, starting from version 7.0.0, we are introducing subscription options while still maintaining a free version for individual users:
- Katalon Studio (KS): free IDE, requires online activation with no limitations on quota.
- Katalon Studio Enterprise (KSE): paid IDE with exclusive features, basic support, all Katalon plugins, and options to activate offline.
- Katalon Runtime Engine (RE): paid engine to execute tests in CI/CD infrastructures or via the command-line interface with options to activate offline. Compatible with KS and KSE.
Which Option Works Best for My Team?
Based on our users’ feedback, we’ve come up with a set of product combinations with an affordable cost structure to give you flexible allocation on budget, licensing, and scalability.
- Individuals: Generate and run automated tests on KS.
- Small teams: Combine KS and RE to leverage Katalon as a cost-competitive solution.
- Medium and large teams: Combine KSE and RE for projects at scale and to comply with enterprise security policies.
Katalon Studio 7 vs. 6.x
KS7 includes many major updates: Desktop testing, Smart Wait, and other performance and functional enhancements. The KS 6.x version is still available to download and activate until April 30, 2020 (6 months from now) for current users. However, there will be no maintenance, support, or bug fixes for this version from now till its sunset. We believe this period is sufficient for our current users to continue their operation without sudden interruption and/or consider making necessary moves.
Our team understands that this transition may cause inconvenience to your work. While our efforts to make Katalon accessible are still ongoing and won’t be perfect, we believe this is the optimal middle ground. Once again, thank you for choosing Katalon.