Why does Katalon uses win32 chromedriver even if installed browser is 64bits version?

Hello,

Because of this limitation about chromedriver URL hardcoded in Katalon Studio, making recent change in drivers download URL break the driver update tool, I had to manually download and replace the chromedriver I had on my machine KSE install folders. I noticed both chromedriver-win64 and chromedriver-win32 could be downloaded and since I have a win 64 machine and 64bits chrome I downloaded chromedriver-win64 and unzipped it in proper location replacing the old chromedriver-win32.

I still had error in Katalon saying that chromedriver_win32/chromedriver.exe could not be found…

I noticed downloaded zip / folder uses “-” and katalon seems to expect “", so I changed folder name with "”, same error…

I downloaded and added in proper location chromedriver_win32 and this time it worked. Quite frustrating though to being forced to use 32 driver and not 64.

→ Any idea on how to force KSE to use 64 driver? I could not find the answer when searching the world wide web. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi,

I found this guide on replacing the web driver and there are 2 notes that:

• By default, Katalon Studio runs WebDrivers at the application level. Adding a Webdriver at the project level overrides the application level to open your web browsers.
  • By default, there is no Webdriver at the project level. After replacing WebDrivers at the project level, restart Katalon Studio to run new WebDrivers.

Can you please follow the guide and see if you can better change it? Let me know if it does not work. Thank you!

Just for your reference.

You can read the source code of com.kms.katalon.core.webui.driver.DriverFactory at

At the Line#1180, you would find the method

public static String getChromeDriverPath() { ... }

This would be interesting for you @yann.sautreuil.ext

Please make a Test Case as follows and run it:

import com.kms.katalon.core.webui.driver.DriverFactory

def chromeDriverPath = DriverFactory.getChromeDriverPath()
println chromeDriverPath

This will let you know at what path Katalon is expecting the ChromeDriver to be found on your machine.

For example, I am on Mac, and I saw this:

2024-02-26 17:30:22.793 INFO  c.k.katalon.core.main.TestCaseExecutor   - --------------------
2024-02-26 17:30:22.798 INFO  c.k.katalon.core.main.TestCaseExecutor   - START Test Cases/TC3
/Applications/Katalon Studio.app/Contents/Eclipse/configuration/resources/drivers/chromedriver_mac/chromedriver
2024-02-26 17:30:23.303 INFO  c.k.katalon.core.main.TestCaseExecutor   - END Test Cases/TC3

Please check it on your Windows.

Thank you @Elly_Tran and @kazurayam , both your answers point to the same direction: custom driver added in project. I checked and tested the code you point to @kazurayam and if I do not add driver in project folder it still uses win32 even though I checked with OSUtil I am win64.

So there is a workaround, and I think we can close the topic as it is (for now at least) not blocking and more out of curiosity.

But FYI the day win64 machines must use win64 chromedriver, then this workaround will be mandatory, and we should agree this would be annoying. Our automation projects are very light, a few kB or a few MB only, which makes it easy to use KRE with Katalon Docker image and git clone to get these few MB before running tests. Adding a chromedriver in all projects will mean 1 - manual maintenance of this driver for all our projects and 2 - multiplying by 5 the size of all our automation projects (chrome driver is around 16MB and our projects around 4MB max). Not the top priority here again, but it could be safe to add in KSE product backlog the ability to prioritize chromedriver 64 on 64bits machine when it is available rather than 32 by default, actually the exact same code and logic than the one @kazurayam mentioned and which is currently applied to project driver only.

This user forum is not an appropriate place to discuss about the future plan of Katalon’s commercial products.

If you are an Enterprise licensee, you should raise a ticket to Katalon through the official path: Support Portal to let them know of your idea.

Thanks for notifying us on this - looks like something got switched around, I’ll add it to the backlog and see if there’s a reason we’re using 32.

Per our docs - Supported environments for Katalon Studio and Katalon Runtime Engine (KRE) | Katalon Docs I think we can simply remove and replace the 64 bit as we don’t support 32 bit systems.