echo ${userName}

[info] Executing: | store | webdriver | userName |

[info] Executing: | store | webdriver123 | userPassword |

[info] Executing: | echo | ${userName} | |

the variable are not being referenced by the syntax ${}
WHat is the syntax

variables.PNG

I’m not sure what you expect to happen?
In the log you can see what’s going on and for me it’s working?

[info] Executing: | store | webdriver | userName

[info] Executing: | echo | ${userName}

[info] echo: webdriver

[info] Executing: | type | id=login-form-username | ${userName} |

login error.PNG

It’s not working for me! that old chestnut

You’re running them in the same test case like this?

store | webdriver | userName
type | id=login-form-username | ${userName}

Not sure for me this is working without any problem.

[info] Executing: | echo | $(userName) | |

[info] echo: $(userName)

my version is Katalon Automation Recorder 3.1.2.
my chrome version Version 63.0.3239.108 (Official Build) (64-bit)

### I put a typo in line 3 as part of my error checking ###

screenshot101.PNG

Yes it should work!
Line3: $(userName) > ${userName}
Line6: ${userPssword} > ${userPassword}

~~~~

Variables~~~~
userName

webdriver
userPassword webdriver123

~Logs

[info] Executing: | echo | | ${userName} |

[info] Executing: | store | webdriver123 | userPassword |

[info] Executing: | echo | ${userPassword} | |

[info] echo: ${userPassword}

Note I tried the variable in the target and value hence the ||${userName} and ${userPassword}||
This is really crazy

I removed the extension, restarted my machine a couple of times and then put the extension back on not the store doesn’t even add the variables to the variable list

Do I have to have kataklon studio running I have just found this in the extension logs
background.js:214 WebSocket connection to ‘ws://localhost:50000/’ failed: Error during WebSocket handshake: net::ERR_CONNECTION_RESET

I couldn’t get this to work either.

Well I have just got it working,
I removed almost every extension I had ( I had Kantu, Selenium, katalon and another) as I was finding different issues with each also I had gliffy and office extension.
After removal I restarted my machine twice, then tried Katalon didn’t work then added in this order selenium then kantu and now the variables work.

I have just removed kantu and selenium in that order and it still works

So in other words it looks like browser extensions can sting each other and causing errors? I think this should be something extension developers should have a look at if this kind of conflicts can be solved? I have also the above extensions installed Kantu, Selenium and Sideex. But they are not active if i’m working with one of those extensions. So probably you opened 2 extensions at some point at the same time that could have caused it?

hi,
for me also in variables tab they are not even listed or visible. Echo of variables are showing variable with $syntax instead of value in log. how come restart of machine and other extensions will impact this? I dont have other extensions at all.

sudha said:

hi,
for me also in variables tab they are not even listed or visible. Echo of variables are showing variable with $syntax instead of value in log. how come restart of machine and other extensions will impact this? I dont have other extensions at all.

Awnser from the team behind Selenium IDE:

That can not be the case, although in Selenium IDE test cases are ran one by one in a synchronized fashion, we are actively working on exporting Selenium IDE projects to webdriver code where it will be ran in parallel.
Thus you can’t rely on a test case to be ran before you, and use it’s variables.
And since test cases will be ran independently in webdriver, they can’t share variables between them, you would have to re-evaluate any or all variables before each test.

Patrick Groot said:

sudha said:

hi,

Awnser from the team behind Selenium IDE:

Thanks Patrick for your all reply to my comments.
My tests in my project are designed in a way that above workflow will store the variable value which is used to verify in other multiple workflows .By which many no of lines will be reduced . I have achieved everything i want with my wonderful old selenium IDE.

My worry is why variables tab is not showing variables at all here in katalon. I am expecting that in a single test case where i want store variable and want to see or use the value in next line why this is not happening in katalon recorder 3.1.1.2 (both in firefox and chrome extensions)?

For me this is working as intended? Version 3.1.2

store | testName | testCase
echo | ${testCase} |
type | input | ${testCase}