Using Console in Centos (BundleException in PlatformActivator.start()))

I saw that someone else asked a very similar question (Unable to start Katalon Studio on Ubuntu server), however the conversation did not progress to a confirmation of a solution.

I am attempting to get katalon in the console to work on CentOS (in order to integrate it with Jenkins). Recently, I attempted to run my test suite with the following command:

./katalon -noSplash -runMode=console -consoleLog -projectPath=“/var/lib/jenkins/workspace/eaportal-regression/EAPService.prj” -reportFolder=“.” -reportFileName=“Report” -browserType=“Firefox (headless)” -retry=0 -statusDelay=15 -testSuitePath=“Test Suites/Initial”

The result I got was the same as that which the person in the link I provided experienced:
!ENTRY com.katalon.platform 4 0 2019-07-24 14:59:56.854
!MESSAGE FrameworkEvent ERROR
!STACK 0
org.osgi.framework.BundleException: Exception in com.katalon.platform.internal.PlatformActivator.start() of bundle com.katalon.platform.
at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.framework.BundleContextImpl.startActivator(BundleContextImpl.java:795)
. . .
Caused by: org.eclipse.e4.core.di.InjectionException: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: javax/annotation/PostConstruct
. . .
Caused by: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: javax/annotation/PostConstruct
. . .
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: javax.annotation.PostConstruct cannot be found by org.eclipse.e4.core.di_1.6.1.v20160712-0927
. . . etc

I found potential solutions in the link above, as well as here: Starting katalon Studio on Linux -Ubuntu server - Stack Overflow

These solutions involved ensuring that the jdk was installed and updating the katalon.ini file. I changed the .ini, to no effect, making these its contents:
-startup
plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher_1.3.201.v20161025-1711.jar
–launcher.library
plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.gtk.linux.x86_64_1.1.401.v20161122-1740
-data
config
-vmargs
-Xms256m
-Xmx2048m
-Dosgi.requiredJavaVersion=11
–add-modules=ALL-SYSTEM

The jdk is installed. java --version returns:
java version “11.0.3” 2019-04-16 LTS
Java™ SE Runtime Environment 18.9 (build 11.0.3+12-LTS)
Java HotSpot™ 64-Bit Server VM 18.9 (build 11.0.3+12-LTS, mixed mode)

Another piece of data that may be relevant is that this katalon instance was downloaded and installed by the jenkins plugin. I am not sure what impact that will have. I just have had some experiences where Jenkins processes operated in a different environment than that used by the rest of the system.

Thank you for any help! If I end up finding a solution, I’ll update here.

I solved the problem.

The NoClassDefFoundError was for a class in java, itself. The eclipse message boards referenced: https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8189188

An issue when using java 11. I switched back to 8, and the problem went away.

Unfortunately, I might be compelled to use only 11, but that is another matter.

java 11 is a no go. stick with 8 for now
you can have both java’s in linux, but involve some headache