Unable to start application on this device: Appium directory is invalid. Running MAC iOS

Hello,
I am running a Mac with Appium Studio installed using package Appium-1-5.0.dmg. Appium works correctly with our existing scripts written in Java using Eclipse as the IDE. We are investigating moving to Katalon Studio. I have created a new script and tried to record the script on the Andriod device using the APIDemos.apk file. I have configured my preferences/mobile to /Applications/Appium.app/Contents/MacOS. When I click Browse I see the Appium executable.

When I click start recording I receive the message

Is Katalon compatible with Appium Studio? We want to use studio versus the commands if possible.

Thank you,

Screen Shot 2018-10-18 at 8.34.14 AM.png

Are there any steps to resolve this issue. I am unable to work with Katalon at all so I cannot evaluate if the solution will work.

Thank you,

Hi Paul,

The Appium location that Katalon Studio requires is a bit weird because it’s not the executable, but rather a library directory. For example, on my Mac it would be:

/usr/local/lib/node_modules/appium

Or if you’re using nvm:

~/.nvm/versions/node/{version}/lib/node_modules/appium

The directory I’m pointing to has these files in it, so if you can find something like that in your Appium Studio install, then you should be able to point to that:

Hope this helps,

Chris

Screen Shot 2018-10-19 at 2.59.25 PM.png

HI Chris,

Thank you for the screenshot of the directory. Using Appium Studio build Appium-1.5.0 I was able to find the directory for Appium. Here is the path on my system /Applications/Appium.app/Contents/Resources/app/node_modules/appium

I hope this helps others who may have the same issue.

Thank you,
Paul

1 Like