"Unable to navigate to [URL]" in Jenkins Environment

I am somewhat at a loss with this one. I am able to execute a test suite from the command line on my windows workstation, but not on the centos vm that Jenkins is on.

I wonder if someone can tell me which environment difference I ought to be checking out. Any help would be very helpful.

I have the katalon plugin installed into jenkins, but to make it simpler I am running katalon from the command line right now. I navigate to jenkins’ embedded katalon folder (/var/lib/jenkins/.katalon/6.1.5/Katalon_Studio_Linux_64-6.1.5) and execute the command:
./katalon -noSplash -runMode=console -consoleLog -projectPath="/var/lib/jenkins/workspace/projectFolder/project.prj" -browserType=“Firefox (headless)” -retry=0 -statusDelay=15 -testSuitePath="Test Suites/Initial"

The result is that each of the 3 tests fails the moment katalon attempts to navigate to the website:

2019-10-16 14:44:47.584 ERROR c.k.katalon.core.main.TestCaseExecutor - :x: Test Cases/CreateStrategicPlan FAILED._
Reason:
com.kms.katalon.core.exception.StepFailedException: Unable to navigate to ‘http://url-to-test.local’_
at com.kms.katalon.core.webui.keyword.internal.WebUIKeywordMain.stepFailed(WebUIKeywordMain.groovy:64)
. . . . . .
at TempTestSuite1571251314696.run(TempTestSuite1571251314696.groovy:35)
Caused by: org.openqa.selenium.WebDriverException: Failed to decode response from marionette

It works, however, from the command line on windows. I run the equivalent command in the katalon folder:

katalon.exe -noSplash -runMode=console -consoleLog -projectPath="C:\Users\username\Katalon Studio\projectFolder\project.prj" -browserType="Firefox (headless)" -retry=0 -statusDelay=15 -testSuitePath="Test Suites/Initial"

Every step of each of the test cases executes this time. I don’t see the same issue on windows.

There are some differences between the environments, but none of those I have considered seem relevant to the difference in behavior:
-Centos 7 vs Windows 10
-(Centos) Katalon 6.1.5 vs (Windows) Katalon 6.3.3 (I still see the issue when I change katalon versions)
-(Centos) Firefox 67.0 vs (Windows) Firefox 68.0.2
-(Centos) Katalon was downloaded by the jenkins plugin and embedded in the jenkins folders. vs (Windows) I have the regular desktop katalon.

What is gecko driver version? Check it’s compatibility ( https://github.com/mozilla/geckodriver/releases)

Hard to tell the version. It is just labeled “geckodriver”. It is the driver that came embedded with the katalon material.

Perhaps I’ll just replace it with other versions until it works.

OK, checking the stacktraces associated with each version, the one with the issue above was 0.23.0.

I replaced it with 0.19.0 and get the following:

ct 17, 2019 9:46:51 AM org.openqa.selenium.remote.ErrorCodes toStatus
INFO: HTTP Status: ‘404’ -> incorrect JSON status mapping for ‘unknown error’ (500 expected)
2019-10-17 09:46:51.316 ERROR c.k.k.core.keyword.internal.KeywordMain - :x: Unable to open browser with url: ‘’ (Root cause: com.kms.katalon.core.exception.StepFailedException: Unable to open browser with url: ‘’
at com.kms.katalon.core.webui.keyword.internal.WebUIKeywordMain.stepFailed(WebUIKeywordMain.groovy:64)
at com.kms.katalon.core.webui.keyword.internal.WebUIKeywordMain.runKeyword(WebUIKeywordMain.groovy:26)
at com.kms.katalon.core.webui.keyword.builtin.OpenBrowserKeyword.openBrowser(OpenBrowserKeyword.groovy:81)
at com.kms.katalon.core.webui.keyword.builtin.OpenBrowserKeyword.execute(OpenBrowserKeyword.groovy:67)
at com.kms.katalon.core.keyword.internal.KeywordExecutor.executeKeywordForPlatform(KeywordExecutor.groovy:56)
at com.kms.katalon.core.webui.keyword.WebUiBuiltInKeywords.openBrowser(WebUiBuiltInKeywords.groovy:60)
at com.kms.katalon.core.webui.keyword.WebUiBuiltInKeywords$openBrowser.call(Unknown Source)
at ChangePassword.run(ChangePassword:19)
at com.kms.katalon.core.main.ScriptEngine.run(ScriptEngine.java:194)
at com.kms.katalon.core.main.ScriptEngine.runScriptAsRawText(ScriptEngine.java:119)
at com.kms.katalon.core.main.TestCaseExecutor.runScript(TestCaseExecutor.java:337)
at com.kms.katalon.core.main.TestCaseExecutor.doExecute(TestCaseExecutor.java:328)
at com.kms.katalon.core.main.TestCaseExecutor.processExecutionPhase(TestCaseExecutor.java:307)
at com.kms.katalon.core.main.TestCaseExecutor.accessMainPhase(TestCaseExecutor.java:299)
at com.kms.katalon.core.main.TestCaseExecutor.execute(TestCaseExecutor.java:233)
at com.kms.katalon.core.main.TestSuiteExecutor.accessTestCaseMainPhase(TestSuiteExecutor.java:133)
at com.kms.katalon.core.main.TestSuiteExecutor.accessTestSuiteMainPhase(TestSuiteExecutor.java:116)
at com.kms.katalon.core.main.TestSuiteExecutor.execute(TestSuiteExecutor.java:83)
at com.kms.katalon.core.main.TestCaseMain.startTestSuite(TestCaseMain.java:157)
at com.kms.katalon.core.main.TestCaseMain$startTestSuite$0.call(Unknown Source)
at TempTestSuite1571319990849.run(TempTestSuite1571319990849.groovy:35)
Caused by: org.openqa.selenium.WebDriverException: newSession

OK, I have tried it with several different driver versions.

The same issue (“Unable to open browser with . . .”) is shows up in each, though it is sometimes presented differently.

The most prominent difference is in the “Caused by”.
-Some drivers show “Caused by: org.openqa.selenium.WebDriverException: connection refused”.
-Other drivers show “Caused by: org.openqa.selenium.WebDriverException: newSession”.
-Others, still, show “Caused by: org.openqa.selenium.WebDriverException: Failed to decode response from marionette”

So it appears as if we have different root causes all generating the same symptoms.

Why it says remote? Are you configuring Jenkins nodes on other Jenkins Slaves or on the same machine where jenkis is ?

Everything is on the same machine. My Jenkins set-up only has a single node.