The delete button in the editor does not work

how can I delete a code using the delete-button?

Try clicking on the line of test statement you want to delete, then click Delete.
Or switch to the Script view and delete the line you want.

I need to delete several characters on the right, not the whole line

today it began to work.What happened?!!

Mine is also not working. I can delete things in the “File Explorer” view, but when editing code it does not work. I have tried with 2 different keyboards, one wired and one Blue Tooth. Both Delete keys work in other programs and in windows itself.

I know it’s a small thing, but I have come to rely on that little guy since I started typing on a keyboard. Please Please find a fix :slight_smile:

It’s a bug. It happens a lot. In the menu, go to

Window -> Katalon Studio Preferences -> General -> Keys

and filter for “delete”, you will see that the Delete entry has no binding. Simply set it like this:

Unfortunately, it will get wiped again. I have yet to figure out WHAT is wiping it – sometimes it survives for days, sometimes it’s gone within a few minutes of opening KS.

Russ

Russ Thomas said:

It’s a bug. It happens a lot. In the menu, go to

Window → Katalon Studio Preferences → General → Keys

and filter for “delete”, you will see that the Delete entry has no binding. Simply set it like this:

Unfortunately, it will get wiped again. I have yet to figure out WHAT is wiping it – sometimes it survives for days, sometimes it’s gone within a few minutes of opening KS.

Russ

Hi Russ,

I just checked the Preferences setting at my end and the delete command has binding. Would you please double check again? There is also a Restore Default button. Have you tried to restore the setting?

Regards,
Liam

Hi Liam

No, the problem is as I described it – “something” removes the binding but I don’t know what.

I’ve just updated to 5.3.1, maybe it’s been fixed? I’ll report back if it happens again.

Thanks
Russ

Liam,

As promised, here’s the delete key binding removed for unknown reasons:

Note:

1 - There is no binding
2 - It says “In Dialogs and Windows” but should say “Editing Text”

Russ

Snipping Tool 2018-03-09 13.39.11.jpg

1 Like

@Liam B

Any movement on this Liam?

Russ Thomas said:

@Liam B

Any movement on this Liam?

Hi Russ,

The development team is still trying to find the root cause. We couldn’t reproduce the issue at our end. It seems like happen randomly. I will mention to the team again and keep you posted.

Regards,
Liam

Thanks Liam

Yesterday it happened within a minute or two of restarting KS. I checked the “Keys” setting like the image above but the weird thing was it was actually set correctly… yet my Delete key was not working.

So, just out of interest, I reassigned the “delete selection” binding to Ctrl+1, just to see… and that worked. Ctrl+1 was working just like a proper Delete key. So then I tried restoring the setting back to the proper Delete key. Broken again.

Finally I restarted KS again (as I had only minutes before restarted KS, I thought this was a waste of time). Bingo, Delete key was working again.

So, it seems whatever is removing the Delete key function is not necessarily related to the Keys settings in the dialog (but sometimes the dialog reflects that the function has been removed, and sometimes it doesn’t).

I can imagine this is a nightmare for the guys to debug… but clearly, something is doing it.

Reminder:
Latest KS, Win 7
And, if it makes a difference, my setup looks like the image posted here:

Since KS is not able to remember my window arrangement, I spend the first few minutes arranging them like that image. And yesterday was the same, after arraning my windows/tabs, delete was broken. Then on the second restart, delete was working (and still is working since KS is still running).

Thanks Liam!

Russ

1 Like

Hi @4015-Russ,

Great! Thank you so much for providing details information. There are a lot of key points in your post that might help the development team to debug the issue. I will share this with our guys.

I understand that the Delete key does not work after rearranging the window?

Much appreciated!
Liam

Hi @Liam

Well, when I first used KS, I didn’t have so many windows open so I’m not absolutely certain it’s my setup… just thought I’d mention it.

KS is still open since I wrote that message and the Delete key is fine. Whatever the cause is, it’s pretty weird.

Thanks!

Hi,
I had the issue too. Workaround before bug correction => I bind delete to delete and it work.

2018-04-18 14_54_01-Preferences.png

1 Like

Hi,
Can someone tell me where is used ‘Delete Next’ command ?

Hi all,

This issue will be fixed in later release, so please wait for it :slight_smile:

Regards

This issue is still present in 6.1.0 b1. I’ve been using KS all day, with no problems since upgrading yesterday. I stepped away for dinner. Came back, and my delete key was not working. Checked my bindings are present. Restarted KS and magically the delete key is working again.

On a side note I have not seen this issue for a few weeks, but I have seen it previously with other versions. Myself and several of my team mates have all observed this same “delete key not working” issue

1 Like

This worked for me. I’m using Rev 6.1.3

Thanks Russ and Eric for providing the fix.

I just had this happen to me. I am using Version: 6.2.1 Build: 2.