TestCase cannot load URL due to WebDriverException

Hello Friends,

I just changed my Laptop at company… and started working again on the same Testproject via Git.
Now I have a problem I didn’t have before.

When I try to run a TestSuite with at least 10 TestCases.
Most of the TestCases crash in the 2. Step, that is “navigateToURL” (after openBrowser)
With root cause:
Caused by: org.openqa.selenium.WebDriverException: unknown error: cannot determine loading status
But in some TestCases the same Step is working fine. (There is surely no problem with the URL)

I checked in both cases Katalon Studio and ChromeDriver for the latest updates.

Any further tips what I can do?
Thanks a lot,
Simon

=============== ROOT CAUSE =====================
Caused by: org.openqa.selenium.WebDriverException: unknown error: cannot determine loading status

================================================

07-13-2021 11:31:44 AM navigateToUrl("example.url.com")

Elapsed time: 1,346s

Unable to navigate to 'example.url.com' (Root cause: com.kms.katalon.core.exception.StepFailedException: Unable to navigate to 'example.url.com'
	at com.kms.katalon.core.webui.keyword.internal.WebUIKeywordMain.stepFailed(WebUIKeywordMain.groovy:64)
	at com.kms.katalon.core.webui.keyword.internal.WebUIKeywordMain.runKeyword(WebUIKeywordMain.groovy:26)
	at com.kms.katalon.core.webui.keyword.builtin.NavigateToUrlKeyword.navigateToUrl(NavigateToUrlKeyword.groovy:83)
	at com.kms.katalon.core.webui.keyword.builtin.NavigateToUrlKeyword.execute(NavigateToUrlKeyword.groovy:67)
	at com.kms.katalon.core.keyword.internal.KeywordExecutor.executeKeywordForPlatform(KeywordExecutor.groovy:73)
	at com.kms.katalon.core.webui.keyword.WebUiBuiltInKeywords.navigateToUrl(WebUiBuiltInKeywords.groovy:187)
	at com.kms.katalon.core.webui.keyword.WebUiBuiltInKeywords$navigateToUrl$0.call(Unknown Source)
	at name-of-testcase.run(name-of-testcase:21)
	at com.kms.katalon.core.main.ScriptEngine.run(ScriptEngine.java:194)
	at com.kms.katalon.core.main.ScriptEngine.runScriptAsRawText(ScriptEngine.java:119)
	at com.kms.katalon.core.main.TestCaseExecutor.runScript(TestCaseExecutor.java:369)
	at com.kms.katalon.core.main.TestCaseExecutor.doExecute(TestCaseExecutor.java:360)
	at com.kms.katalon.core.main.TestCaseExecutor.processExecutionPhase(TestCaseExecutor.java:339)
	at com.kms.katalon.core.main.TestCaseExecutor.accessMainPhase(TestCaseExecutor.java:331)
	at com.kms.katalon.core.main.TestCaseExecutor.execute(TestCaseExecutor.java:248)
	at com.kms.katalon.core.main.TestSuiteExecutor.accessTestCaseMainPhase(TestSuiteExecutor.java:191)
	at com.kms.katalon.core.main.TestSuiteExecutor.accessTestSuiteMainPhase(TestSuiteExecutor.java:140)
	at com.kms.katalon.core.main.TestSuiteExecutor.execute(TestSuiteExecutor.java:89)
	at com.kms.katalon.core.main.TestCaseMain.startTestSuite(TestCaseMain.java:185)
	at com.kms.katalon.core.main.TestCaseMain$startTestSuite$0.call(Unknown Source)
	at TempTestSuite1626168697478.run(TempTestSuite1626168697478.groovy:39)
from unknown error: unhandled inspector error: {"code":-32000,"message":"Inspected target navigated or closed"}
  (Session info: chrome=91.0.4472.124)
Build info: version: '3.141.59', revision: 'e82be7d358', time: '2018-11-14T08:25:53'
System info: host: 'notebook-hostname', ip: '10.88.2.78', os.name: 'Windows 10', os.arch: 'amd64', os.version: '10.0', java.version: '1.8.0_282'
Driver info: com.kms.katalon.selenium.driver.CChromeDriver
Capabilities {acceptInsecureCerts: true, browserName: chrome, browserVersion: 91.0.4472.124, chrome: {chromedriverVersion: 91.0.4472.101 (af52a90bf870..., userDataDir: C:\Users\SIMON~1.KLO\AppDat...}, goog:chromeOptions: {debuggerAddress: localhost:51227}, javascriptEnabled: true, networkConnectionEnabled: false, pageLoadStrategy: normal, platform: WINDOWS, platformName: WINDOWS, proxy: Proxy(), setWindowRect: true, strictFileInteractability: false, timeouts: {implicit: 0, pageLoad: 300000, script: 30000}, unhandledPromptBehavior: dismiss and notify, webauthn:extension:largeBlob: true, webauthn:virtualAuthenticators: true}
Session ID: c5e4b72ead25422a6eb7c3d0ca70fd06
	at org.openqa.selenium.remote.http.W3CHttpResponseCodec.createException(W3CHttpResponseCodec.java:187)
	at org.openqa.selenium.remote.http.W3CHttpResponseCodec.decode(W3CHttpResponseCodec.java:122)
	at org.openqa.selenium.remote.http.W3CHttpResponseCodec.decode(W3CHttpResponseCodec.java:49)
	at org.openqa.selenium.remote.HttpCommandExecutor.execute(HttpCommandExecutor.java:158)
	at org.openqa.selenium.remote.service.DriverCommandExecutor.execute(DriverCommandExecutor.java:83)
	at org.openqa.selenium.remote.RemoteWebDriver.execute(RemoteWebDriver.java:552)
	at com.kms.katalon.selenium.driver.CChromeDriver.execute(CChromeDriver.java:19)
	at org.openqa.selenium.remote.RemoteWebDriver.get(RemoteWebDriver.java:277)
	at org.openqa.selenium.remote.RemoteWebDriver$RemoteNavigation.to(RemoteWebDriver.java:857)
	at org.openqa.selenium.support.events.EventFiringWebDriver$EventFiringNavigation.to(EventFiringWebDriver.java:569)
	at com.kms.katalon.core.webui.keyword.builtin.NavigateToUrlKeyword$_navigateToUrl_closure1.doCall(NavigateToUrlKeyword.groovy:81)
	at com.kms.katalon.core.webui.keyword.builtin.NavigateToUrlKeyword$_navigateToUrl_closure1.call(NavigateToUrlKeyword.groovy)
	at com.kms.katalon.core.webui.keyword.internal.WebUIKeywordMain.runKeyword(WebUIKeywordMain.groovy:20)
	at com.kms.katalon.core.webui.keyword.builtin.NavigateToUrlKeyword.navigateToUrl(NavigateToUrlKeyword.groovy:83)
	at com.kms.katalon.core.webui.keyword.builtin.NavigateToUrlKeyword.execute(NavigateToUrlKeyword.groovy:67)
	at com.kms.katalon.core.keyword.internal.KeywordExecutor.executeKeywordForPlatform(KeywordExecutor.groovy:73)
	at com.kms.katalon.core.webui.keyword.WebUiBuiltInKeywords.navigateToUrl(WebUiBuiltInKeywords.groovy:187)
	at com.kms.katalon.core.webui.keyword.WebUiBuiltInKeywords$navigateToUrl$0.call(Unknown Source)
	at Script1604654116891.run(Script1604654116891.groovy:21)
	... 13 more
)

Sounds like a chrome driver issue:

yeah that was what I thought.
But how to solve it?

Also I should mention that I checked my Chrome Version that is: 91.0.4472.124
I downloaded manually the right ChromeDriver for Version 91
( https://chromedriver.storage.googleapis.com/index.html?path=91.0.4472.101/ )
and replaced the old driver.exe with the downloaded one:
Katalon_Studio_Windows_64-8.0.5\configuration\resources\drivers\chromedriver_win32\

But still same Error in some of the TestCases.

This is what I read before:

Chrome is very particular about versions (unlike geckodriver, they don’t offer any promises toward backward compatibility).

Were you to try Firefox, I’m guessing you see no issues?

Firefox is not an option in this case.
As our customer, wants the webapp to be stable in Chrome, we are not testing in Firefox.

Let’s see if the resident chrome dude has something to add…

@Brandon_Hein

Aside from matching up your driver/browse versions, can you test a couple of things for me:

1.) Can you navigate to a different URL? www.google.com for example?
2.) Do you have any additional Desired Capabilities setup for chrome?
3.) Are you calling WebUI.openBrowser(’’) first?

ok I set up a little TestSuite with about 10 TCs. Each with the following two steps:

`WebUI.openBrowser('')`
`WebUI.navigateToUrl('www.google.com')`

It is working everytime with no problem.

And yes I call WebUI.openBrowser(’’) in every TC.
And yes I set “acceptInsecureCerts” = true in my Desired Capabilities.

So as it is working fine, with google.com, is it a problem with our URL?
I don’t get it… It was working fine before I switched my notebook. Everytime I call it manually there is no problem.

This phrase sounds strange.

How do you run your test non manually?

Do you run the test with Katalon Runtime Engine?

I do not know much about the Katalon Runtime Engine, but I guess KRE may bundle another chromedriver.exe in it. Have you checked the version of it?

How do you run your test non manually ?

Open Chrome Browser type in the hostname and hit enter… by hand and not using Katalon.
So manual test as an opposite of automated test.
(In German Language we are using this kind of phrases. Perhaps you would call it different in english)

Do you run the test with Katalon Runtime Engine?

I have no Idea man :stuck_out_tongue:
I’m using Katalon Studio, created several TestCases and Suites. Then I hit the “Run”-Button, Chrome-Browser opens, and the automated test starts.
I never thought about, what kind of engine works in the background.

Ah and as I read KRE is an add-on:

I don’t think I’m using KRE.

What do you see if you try a string starting with https://, which is formally valid as a URL?

WebUI.navigateToUrl('https://www.google.com')

Uh, no, it’s not an add-on in the typical sense (ignore what the documentation is saying). KRE is a standalone version of the Katalon runtime with NO UI. For example, you can call it from a batch file and tell it to execute a suite.

If this is a new computer, it’s likely you have little investment in the installed copy of Chrome. That being the case, uninstall it completely then reinstall it.

Maybe something odd or weird will be cleaned up in the process.

I think you checked the version of Chrome which you manually opened. I guess, you haven’t checked the version of Chrome which your test automatically opened, have you? You should check it.

How to? When you execute a test case like this

WebUI.openBrowser('')

then Chrome browser will open and stay unclosed. You can manually operate it with the mouse. Please check the version of Chrome opened by your test. I suppose, the version would be older one, not 91.0.4472.124 — this would be totally unexpected for you, but it could happen.

I believe he does not have a problem with the chrome version. If he is able to open other public URL’s, it’s likely a problem with the website/webapp under test.

@simon.klotz In researching the stack trace you provided, I noticed that people had this problem when their app had iframes. Can you check the HTML of your target app for any <iframe> tags?

I think you checked the version of Chrome which you manually opened. I guess, you haven’t checked the version of Chrome which your test automatically opened, have you? You should check it.

Ok I just checked it and it is the same 91.0.4472.124

And somehow it is working all fine again.
I did nothing except working on another Katalon Project.
But if I get this problem again, I will check for IFrames @Brandon_Hein
Thank you so far helping me out!

1 Like

I guess you fed Gremlins gremlins after midnight, so you got problems.

1 Like