Test object icons for manually created objects

Is it possible to get icons assigned to test objects that have been created manually? Currently all of my test objects are listed with the ‘…’ icon, however Katalon Studio does support icon classification for objects. Are there any prefixes that have to be used in other to categorize it or something like that?

Thanks!

When you consider that “icons” are meant to be “iconic” and that the Object Repository itself doesn’t scale well, how long will it be before the icons you are proposing become essentially meaningless?

I’m not trying to be an ass, I just don’t “get it”.

Well my idea is the same idea as when this was developed; to have a visual representation. It’s not magic but rather a fact that the human eye recognizes visual representation faster than a text prefix for example. Considering I’ve departmentalized the objects pretty neatly in my project, I don’t really have issues with scaling so far and iconization would be pretty useful for quick recognition.

Could you also provide the answer to the actual question I had or is this information not generally known?

Well my idea is the same idea as when this was developed; to have a
visual representation.

I don’t know what you are referring to. What same idea? Are you saying there were once icons in the OR?

It’s not magic but rather a fact that the human
eye recognizes visual representation faster than a text prefix for
example.

Totally agree with that point. I’m just imagining how most ORs would look once the recorder has been allowed to have its evil way with them. I don’t see adding icons to that mess would help anything.

Considering I’ve departmentalized the objects pretty neatly in
my project, I don’t really have issues with scaling so far and
iconization would be pretty useful for quick recognition.

That’s fair enough.

Could
you also provide the answer to the actual question I had or is this
information not generally known?

Sorry, no. I have no idea. I was just probing your proposal to see how it would help the majority of users (for example, I’m not one of them in this regard - I don’t use the OR).

BTW, Zoki, you should maybe post this in the Suggestions forum.

When you manually create an object repository … you are expecting icons as highlighted in the above image… am I right?

While writing your own xpath pls add tag/attribute name, but not mandate to check it for the icons to appear.

See the sample below:

Icon.png

Tag.png

3 Likes

Russ Thomas, I think you may have misunderstood the topic here. This functionality is already present and used in automatic object creation. I was wondering how we could utilize this in manual creation.

Thankfully, the reply by discover.selenium is the answer I was looking for, much appreciated.